Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by R.O.
Can I use these gift cards to pay for the cash portion of a P+C award?
yes. At check out
R.O. likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Time wasted at check-out. Losing the credit card bonus points. Hoping no loss or stolen. 10% does not cut it for me. Paying shipping fee, no way.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
Time wasted at check-out. Losing the credit card bonus points. Hoping no loss or stolen. 10% does not cut it for me. Paying shipping fee, no way.
Do E Gift Option and extremely difficult to lose it or have it stolen when there’s a PIN number now.

I think 10% is better than any credit card rewards.

Through the GC’s you’re getting 10-12% off after factoring in whatever credit card rewards you earned for buying the GC.

So 12% compared to the best alternative which would be using the Hyatt CC earning 4 points per dollar spent.

$1,000 GC for $880 (10% off + 2% CC rewards earned)

Vs. $1,000 paid at Hyatt earning 4K Hyatt Points (Points earned only from the Hyatt Card as all other Hyatt Points earned are also earned when paying with GC).

4k Hyatt Points are not worth $120 at all. I value them at 1 cent per point so $40. Most others value them at typically 1.5 cents per point meaning $80. Which still makes GC a better offer, especially for those who bought several thousand.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One consideration here is the year of the spend. If they allowed this in January, I'd be in in a bigger way potentially. I need that spend on my Hyatt card in 2020, even without the bonus points.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
One consideration here is the year of the spend. If they allowed this in January, I'd be in in a bigger way potentially. I need that spend on my Hyatt card in 2020, even without the bonus points.
Agreed.

Some people need December spend, others January to get a leg up. Maybe they should have run it over New Years.

Remember also some supermarkets sell Hyatt GCs. Fuel points can make that lucrative.

That Costco deal was epic. 20% plus 2% cashback plus regular CC rewards. Running at the same time as Faster Free Nights. And $25 food/beverage credit per stay Costco rate and $39-45 Hyatt (Lisle, IL, a good cat 1) stays. They were paying me to stay. If I weren’t dealing with a dying FIL at the time, wife and I would have hopped every night.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 17, 2019 at 3:48 am
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Matt....that's a nice analysis. Keeping it simple. $1000 GCs = 6 check outs. IME at Hyatt Places frequented, $17 savings is not worth the potential aggravation at check-out. And I really like spending as little $$ possible.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
Matt....that's a nice analysis. Keeping it simple. $1000 GCs = 6 check outs. IME at Hyatt Places frequented, $17 savings is not worth the potential aggravation at check-out. And I really like spending as little $$ possible.
Do you mean check outs online? Because buying them took me less then 2 mins each.

Checking out as in paying your folio people have said takes about an extra 5 minutes. So 5 minutes for those extra savings is definitely worth it IMO.

Where are you getting $17 from? If you’re saying to buy (6) 1k GC’s that’s pretty big savings and significantly more than a $17 difference. Even just (1) 1k GC is at least a $50 difference between paying with the Hyatt CC even considering the additional points earned.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:13 pm

It's a matter of avoiding aggravation at check-out. Just ain't worth it to me. I avoid aggravation at check-in by staying with Hyatt and Hilton and skipping Marriott properties.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:53 pm

Still unclear if this codes as a Hyatt purchase or not. Any other DPs for Chase or AMEX?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Still unclear if this codes as a Hyatt purchase or not. Any other DPs for Chase or AMEX?
Does not code as Hyatt or Travel tried on two cards.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A reminder that this 10% off offer ends tomorrow, 23rd.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I may try this, but honestly not sure the stupid hassle of redeeming them really makes it worth it.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was going to purchase, but if I won't get points for redeeming a certificate versus paying with my Hyatt card, it simply isn't worth it to me.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was going to purchase, but if I won't get points for redeeming a certificate versus paying with my Hyatt card, it simply isn't worth it to me.
You get the points from Hyatt as usual, but you just don't get points from Chase additionally if you would have otherwise paid with a Chase Hyatt card.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Buying the card generates points? Or does redeeming it generate them?

As well, earning points on the card is almost as valuable to me to get stay credits as saving the 10% since I often end up doing mattress runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.