Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

Old Nov 25, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
I don't EVER remember seeing a 20% discount on Hyatt gift cards directly from Hyatt. I've seen 10% before, but I think it's been several years. Maybe I missed it.
Fairmont does 20% discounts on gift cards a couple of times a year and are offering them for a limited number of hours this Friday. See the AccorHotels Forum if you're interested.
The 20% was through Costco many years ago.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows View Post
So i dont really get it. If you get a 10% discount now, but no "payback" for staying and paying ( which i roughly count a 10% discount as a Glob) , where is the deal ?

I think what they are saying is you still get your usual points for the stay itself when you use a gift card (and the usual benefits, etc.), but you don't earn those same points when you buy a gift card (so you can't double dip). And it sounds like you may or may not get the Hyatt credit card bonus when you buy the gift card itself, depending on if it codes as Hyatt or as the third party gift card company that runs their program.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:41 pm
Hyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Maui4me1 View Post
The last time I bought gift cards from Hyatt I got 4x points on the Hyatt credit card..
Are you 100% sure? The purchase shows up as "buyatab" so it should earn 1x not 4x. What you say is contradicted by the Q&A as well...
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I am assuming those are the gift cards that work in the Americas but not Europe, Middle East, and Asia?
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I am assuming those are the gift cards that work in the Americas but not Europe, Middle East, and Asia?
Redeemable at participating Hyatt hotels in North America, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and South America.
https://www.buyatab.com/custom/hyatt...N_G-G30042958Y
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Are you 100% sure? The purchase shows up as "buyatab" so it should earn 1x not 4x. What you say is contradicted by the Q&A as well...
This was some years ago and yes, I am sure.
Old Nov 25, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The big question is whether they’ve solved the gift card problem with cards being drained.
CodeAdam10 and tearex like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 View Post
This was some years ago and yes, I am sure.
Then I think we should assume that as of this year it's unfortunately no longer 4x, unlike the good ol' days
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows View Post
So i dont really get it. If you get a 10% discount now, but no "payback" for staying and paying ( which i roughly count a 10% discount as a Glob) , where is the deal ?
Any Hyatt GC used for payment shows up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Any Hyatt GC used for payment shows up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.
So to use them you’d have to go to the Front Desk when checking out and ask to use a Hyatt GC as your method of payment for any charges you had billed to your room?

This may be also beneficial to avoid international transaction fees or currency conversion fees at Latin American properties.
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
So to use them you’d have to go to the Front Desk when checking out and ask to use a Hyatt GC as your method of payment for any charges you had billed to your room?
That's how I've used my GCs, yes.

This may be also beneficial to avoid international transaction fees or currency conversion fees at Latin American properties.
While these are redeemable throughout North and South America, I'm not sure how foreign properties calculate the FX and whether it is a consumer-friendly rate.
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
While these are redeemable throughout North and South America, I'm not sure how foreign properties calculate the FX and whether it is a consumer-friendly rate.
Since you’re paying with Hyatt’s currency (a GC) wouldn’t it automatically convert to the local currency, the same as if you paid with pesos (Mexico) or colones (Costa Rica)?

Never stayed at a South/Central American hotel before so not sure how things are calculated. From all the menus of a property I have in mind though the prices are listed in USD (Andaz Papagayo) and it makes no mention of conversion, I’m assuming because USD is widely accepted there.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:27 am

Since you’re paying with Hyatt’s currency (a GC) wouldn’t it automatically convert to the local currency, the same as if you paid with pesos (Mexico) or colones (Costa Rica)?

Never stayed at a South/Central American hotel before so not sure how things are calculated. From all the menus of a property I have in mind though the prices are listed in USD (Andaz Papagayo) and it makes no mention of conversion, I’m assuming because USD is widely accepted there.
I don't have any experience with this, but the question is how the hotel handles it and the exchange rate used. If the hotel just processes the GC as if it were a credit card / debit card, then maybe bank rate will be used for exchange and that's likely agreeable for all guests. But if the hotel uses, say, the in-house cash rate, the exchange rate will usually be quite unfavorable.

Costa Rica tends to be an exception since USD is accepted nearly everywhere there. Even official, government entities often accept USD for payment!
Old Nov 26, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Does this code as hotels on Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire?
Old Nov 27, 19, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by stvr View Post
Does this code as hotels on Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire?
Sounds like it doesn't, but I'm hoping we'll figure that out on the first round with some tests, and then we can go big (or not) on the second window based on the results.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: