Search

Talbot Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Talbot Chicago

I searched and was surprised I could find no thread or mention of this hotel.

I had occasion to spend the night there recently. Positively the worst body and hair products ever - "Jonathan Adler." It's like grandma died and you went to clean out the house and found perfume/body lotion that she packed away in 1972. Could not get rid of the horrendous odor.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's a Hyatt?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's a Hyatt?
It’s a Joie De Vivre which is integrated into Hyatt.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’m here now. I agree the scent of those products is pretty weird. Very old fashioned.

Not much to report here as an Explorist. Restaurant is closed, but there’s plenty of stuff open nearby. Not even a cup of coffee in the hotel, as I was advised to go down to Starbucks on the corner. The rate was sub $100 on the third night free promotion, and they upgraded me upon request from lowest category to their top one, a junior suite, sort of one big room. After the Q2-3 promo I’m sleeping pretty cheaply. I’ve paid more for a threadbare Hyatt Place.

Good location for a chicago tourist, Close to the red line in one direction and the Michigan Ave. buses in the other. Grocery store and a decent diner less than a block away. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I’m here now. I agree the scent of those products is pretty weird. Very old fashioned.

Not much to report here as an Explorist. Restaurant is closed, but there’s plenty of stuff open nearby. Not even a cup of coffee in the hotel, as I was advised to go down to Starbucks on the corner. The rate was sub $100 on the third night free promotion, and they upgraded me upon request from lowest category to their top one, a junior suite, sort of one big room. After the Q2-3 promo I’m sleeping pretty cheaply. I’ve paid more for a threadbare Hyatt Place.

Good location for a chicago tourist, Close to the red line in one direction and the Michigan Ave. buses in the other. Grocery store and a decent diner less than a block away. Happy to answer any specific questions.
I know what you mean. At the Hotel Lincoln, soap smells like some kind of old lotion that my grandma used. Stinks but in a pleasant way?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Originally Posted by skchin
I know what you mean. At the Hotel Lincoln, soap smells like some kind of old lotion that my grandma used. Stinks but in a pleasant way?
Stayed at both of those properties this week in order to check off JDV on both mine and my wife's accounts. The Adler toiletries do indeed have awful scents, and the scent lingers on one's skin for awhile.

Talbott proactively upgraded us to Junior Suite, which was just one big room with a sofa and table. Room was fine and staff was sincerely friendly and helpful. Hallways reeked of pot. Like, really badly. Multiple guests on multiple floors complained about it. If you wanna smoke, just do it outside, people! No globalist breakfast, so 500 points promised. They partnered with some local restaurant for room service and one could text the restaurant for a code for $10 off, no minimum requirements. We did that and split a greasy but filling $10 breakfast sandwich and gave a $2 tip. It was passable--better than those nasty HP Jimmy Dean hockey pucks that are ubiquitous right now at free breakfast hotels. Anyway, location of this property is great, just a couple blocks from a Red line station. I'll stay again while the rates are so inexpensive ($89), but if it smells of pot everywhere again, that'll be my last visit.
TravelerMSY likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:43 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It’s odd. With Covid, the usual stay patterns are reversed. It was dead when I was there Wed-Sat, but people were coming in droves as I left for what I guess was a weekend staycation for st Patrick’s day. The junior suite was nice enough, but based on its size, I can’t imagine how small a regular room must be. I must have gotten lucky and didn’t get the pot smoking floor I was on 8.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: Skyteam
When I stay at the Hyatt Place, I'm surprised when I don't smell pot. It's a smell that I associate with HP now.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:48 pm

Completed a two night stay this past weekend. As others have noted above, I too was proactively upgraded to a corner junior suite on the 14th floor as a Globalist. I arrived at the hotel around 11:00 a.m. after an early morning flight from DCA expecting to store my bags until the official check-in time, but was pleasantly surprised when the front desk associate informed me that I could head directly to the room.

All dining at this property is currently suspended so I received a 500 points per night “breakfast recovery bonus.” I found the location to be excellent, and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again on a future trip to Chicago. Below are a few pictures of the room:

gooseman13 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Any summer stays? (Maybe they resumed breakfast?)
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:45 pm

Just finished a 2 night stay. Only Explorist so don’t know about breakfast but was told during check in that you can only charge the restaurant food to the room via room service and have to pay with card/cash for dine in. Upgraded from queen to king room. Quite spacious. Service was excellent. It’s a great value on points with the 25% rebate with the brand promotion currently.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by gbdbld
Just finished a 2 night stay. Only Explorist so don’t know about breakfast but was told during check in that you can only charge the restaurant food to the room via room service and have to pay with card/cash for dine in. Upgraded from queen to king room. Quite spacious. Service was excellent. It’s a great value on points with the 25% rebate with the brand promotion currently.
Gave them a call, and currently they don't have breakfast (and no estimated return date). Sounds like the main driver is their co-located restaurant recently changed ownership, and they're still working to strike an agreement. Hope this helps!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Gave them a call, and currently they don't have breakfast (and no estimated return date). Sounds like the main driver is their co-located restaurant recently changed ownership, and they're still working to strike an agreement. Hope this helps!
When I was there a few days ago I see people dining in in the morning for breakfast. So you have to pay with card for dine in, but since the check in agent claimed you can charge room service to the room, I don’t get why they can’t provide globalist breakfast via room service.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by gbdbld
When I was there a few days ago I see people dining in in the morning for breakfast. So you have to pay with card for dine in, but since the check in agent claimed you can charge room service to the room, I don’t get why they can’t provide globalist breakfast via room service.
If I could hazard a guess, the hold up probably has to do with the numbers. E.g. The hotel is deciding how they'll pay (and how much they'll pay) the restaurant for breakfast, and the restaurant is deciding how much they'd accept and what F&B they could offer.

I'm also guessing the breakfast-via-room-service is kind of a "carve out" in the restaurant's contract. Because the restaurant is now separate, they'd probably prefer to take care of [all] payments themselves; maybe it reduces accounting complexity, and the hotel would take a cut for charges sent through them. As the ownership of the restaurant changed hands, the hotel may have required the new restaurant operator to offer room service as a prerequisite of occupying/operating the restaurant space. Presumably there's no other kitchen-space in the hotel.

Of course I'm just guessing here.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Was there 1 week ago as a Globalist, upgraded to Junior suite proactively. Asked about breakfast at checkin and was told that it would be charged to the room, and then removed at checkout. Room service or restaurant was available.
Second day went down for breakfast and after asking for the check, I told the ( up to that point ) polite waitress that I wanted to charge it to the room, she said that was not posible. I mentioned I'm a Globalist and after checking with his boss she said "ok, you can go then" in a very rude way.
Third day decided to have breakfast in the room to avoid the rude waitress and the same interaction, called the restaurant and they told me it could only be ordered through their app and pay with CC, again, mentioned that I'm a Globalist, and the guy reacted in a very negative way... Breakfast arrived, but with a bitter taste. I avoided breakfast for the following 2 days of my stay.

It seems the restaurant does not like Globalists. Anyway, it's pretty bad, you can have better at a McDonalds.

Besides breakfast, hotel was excellent for the price, upgrade and location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.