Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Gift Card Question - Does it Earn Any Base Points?

Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

Does anyone know if using Hyatt Gift Cards to pay for Hyatt stay earns any Hyatt base point at all?

I am trying to earn as many base points as possible but unsure if I can earn any Hyatt base points using Hyatt gift cards to pay for the stay expense. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gt111
Does anyone know if using Hyatt Gift Cards to pay for Hyatt stay earns any Hyatt base point at all?

I am trying to earn as many base points as possible but unsure if I can earn any Hyatt base points using Hyatt gift cards to pay for the stay expense. Thanks in advance.
Yes, gift cards are just a form of payment. It makes no difference for earnings whether you pay with gift cards or credit cards.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jameswes
Yes, gift cards are just a form of payment. It makes no difference for earnings whether you pay with gift cards or credit cards.

Great, thanks for your reply.

I have a follow-up question, is it possible to buy Hyatt gift cards why staying and charge it to the hotel tab?
hp12c likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

Just to add on to the answer above, any Hyatt GC used for payment will show up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.
gt111 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to add on to the answer above, any Hyatt GC used for payment will show up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.
Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:26 pm

I have a follow-up question, is it possible to buy Hyatt gift cards why staying and charge it to the hotel tab?
Ha so you can double up the points earned (from purchasing gc and then from using it)

I like the question and hope someone can answer affirmatively!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Ha so you can double up the points earned (from purchasing gc and then from using it)

I like the question and hope someone can answer affirmatively!
;-)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:50 pm

Hyatt has eligible and ineligible charges on folios.

I haven't tried buying a gift card as part of a stay, but I strongly suspect that any such charge would be flagged as ineligible.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you live near a Kroger, buy Hyatt GCs when they are running the 4x fuel promo.

14% back in free gasoline plus whatever you get on the CC for supermarket spend.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If you live near a Kroger, buy Hyatt GCs when they are running the 4x fuel promo.

14% back in free gasoline plus whatever you get on the CC for supermarket spend.
Weird Ive been to Kroger (and their other brands like Ralphs) never seen a Hyatt GC there.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
Hyatt has eligible and ineligible charges on folios.

I haven't tried buying a gift card as part of a stay, but I strongly suspect that any such charge would be flagged as ineligible.
That's what I figure, too. Thanks for your reply.

We have only Safeway here. I guess it is similar. However, I feel I get better return (4 Bonus Points per $1 spent) paying with Hyatt CC for Hyatt stay. I value Hyatt points more because I get to use them quite often.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Watch out for the scams. It's not the same risk profile as when you are swiftly driving over to WM to MO out.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I highly doubt that you can charge a gift card to your hotel tab. Even if you could, it seems very unlikely that Hyatt would code it as an eligible charge (but, if anybody wants to be the data point, please let us know!).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Weird Ive been to Kroger (and their other brands like Ralphs) never seen a Hyatt GC there.
Varies by location. My Kroger has WN, DL, Disney, Hyatt, Hotels.com, a bunch of cruise lines, etc.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Watch out for the scams. It's not the same risk profile as when you are swiftly driving over to WM to MO out.
Has there been a report of a compromised Hyatt card?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:36 am

There have been a LOT of problems with Hyatt gift cards in the past. Buyer Beware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.