Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Ka'anapali Beach help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to book an award stay at this Hyatt Residence Club Maui next year. Before I complete the reservation and under Terms and Conditions, it mentions a 2 nights deposit will be charged to the credit card on file.

This Hyatt is very pricey, nightly rate is over $1000. I called customer service and was told the Hotel will charge 2 full nights deposit to my credit card, but would refund fully when I check-in or cancel before the 14 days prior to arrival deadline.

I would like to know is it normal? Since my stay is not for another 5 to 6 months, I have to pay for the entire bill ahead of time for an award reservation? If they charge to my credit card, I have to pay since I do not carry balance. So we are talking about tying up a couple of thousand dollars at my end. Anyone stayed there using the points?

I also notice there is a resort fee, but I read it somewhere the resort fee is waived for all Hyatt members. Is it true? Even for a plain member like me.

I tried to find more recent reviews of this hotel in the forum and they all seem pretty dated.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK resort fees are waived only for Globs at Hyatts. Individual hotels could be more generous, but I wouldn't expect it.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:28 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lililolo
I am trying to book an award stay at this Hyatt Residence Club Maui next year. Before I complete the reservation and under Terms and Conditions, it mentions a 2 nights deposit will be charged to the credit card on file.

This Hyatt is very pricey, nightly rate is over $1000. I called customer service and was told the Hotel will charge 2 full nights deposit to my credit card, but would refund fully when I check-in or cancel before the 14 days prior to arrival deadline.

I would like to know is it normal?
Yes, it is normal. Not every property requires a deposit, but those that do charge it for all stays, including award stays.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:33 am
skj

Originally Posted by lililolo
I also notice there is a resort fee, but I read it somewhere the resort fee is waived for all Hyatt members. Is it true? Even for a plain member like me.
According to the T&Cs, the resort fee waiver when using a free night award does not apply to HRCs.

"Resort, destination, or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Members redeeming a Free Night Award. This benefit is not valid at any Hyatt Residence Club resort. "
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never encountered cash deposit charged on award stays. Taking both points and cash at the time of reservation seems very unlikely to me.
Also iirc resort fee at that property was relatively low and included parking not sure if this is still the case...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:07 am
skj

Originally Posted by azepine00
I have never encountered cash deposit charged on award stays. Taking both points and cash at the time of reservation seems very unlikely to me.
Also iirc resort fee at that property was relatively low and included parking not sure if this is still the case...
I currently have 1 or 2 night cash deposits at HR Lake Tahoe and GH Kauai for award stays next spring. I have found if a hotel charges a cash deposit, it does it regardless of how the stay is ultimately paid.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skj
I currently have 1 or 2 night cash deposits at HR Lake Tahoe and GH Kauai for award stays next spring. I have found if a hotel charges a cash deposit, it does it regardless of how the stay is ultimately paid.
was it an actual change or just a hold?

i found some comments but not much
Credit card charged for award booking in 2 months!

again ime of many many award bookings across chains i never encountered it but i can imagine some places try to grab more these days.. that shouldnt be legal imo...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:02 am
skj

Originally Posted by azepine00
was it an actual change or just a hold?

i found some comments but not much
Credit card charged for award booking in 2 months!

again ime of many many award bookings across chains i never encountered it but i can imagine some places try to grab more these days.. that shouldnt be legal imo...
They are definitely actual charges. I just look at it as pre-paying for miscellaneous charges we'll incur at the property. The amount is high enough at GH Kauai, though, that we usually leave with a significant credit even after spa visits, umbrella drinks by the pool and a dinner at Tidepools.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:07 am

I have stayed at the Maui HRC twice on points. They do not require a 2 night deposit despite what the website says. Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I've been trying to book a stay here with points and haven't found any availability. Are you guys booking well in advance, last minute, off peak, or what?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:06 pm

Ive looked for the next 365 days and can't find any 4-7 days stays on points at all
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:30 am

1/18-1/22. Great property I've stayed here several times.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
Ive looked for the next 365 days and can't find any 4-7 days stays on points at all
we stayed there in 1 br on points xmas week - availability opened a couple weeks prior.. vrbo/airbnb had several 2 br in 500-600/nt range..
with new destination hotels options maui has a lot of excellent hyatt choices with own pros and cons...
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:28 pm

Any recent stays here for globalist? Wondering if they charge the destinations fees, as globalist terms and conditions state the destination fee benefit (waiver) doesn't apply to Hyatt Residence Club properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.