Wiki Posts
Search

List of Hyatts at ski resorts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by SP03
It’s still early season so maybe a lot of the terrain hasn’t opened yet. But I really like Beaver Creek. It’s more manageable than Vail. You def can ski across the mountains, just take Redtail down to the bottom of Grouse Mountain and take Larkspur. BC has groomed gentle runs, to World Cup race courses, to great tree skiing.

And the walk to Centennial is pretty short. It’s no more than the walk for most ski in ski out resorts.
Yeah it was a bit rough. We were fortunate to have about 6" on the first ski day (last Monday) but didn't last; bone dry after that so by Thurs/Fri anything not groomed was ice everywhere. Redtail was really icy; people who I assume could normally ski blues were falling all over the place. I worked my way over to arrowhead once (via Larkspur) but every lift over that way was very backed up, so getting runs in was slow, and getting back was worse. I wanted to get a feel for the whole place though since it was my first trip to BC. I spent most of the week just cycling through Larkspur and Rose Bowl where the lines were much better due to the terrain they serve. Unfortunately nothing with trees was open yet.

I'm already booked for March; I booked both trips almost six months ago when both awards and points availability were still open. I'm hoping I can get up into Grouse for that trip and there will be a ton of snow. The value of PH is incredible if using points / awards / suite upgrades and you're globalist; no resort fee, no car park fee, no club so breakfast at the restaurant is free. I used a suite upgrade so the room had a fireplace, but didn't get a balcony; maybe next time I'll get lucky on that.

I'm thinking about booking GH Vail next season since I've never been to Vail, but I do like how at PH BC we can walk to all kinds of restaurants, and it's only 5k/ni points difference. My wife has a massive load of Marriott points, so perhaps there's a more ideal hotel in Vail we can use her points at to get into the main village.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:30 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pdisme

I'm thinking about booking GH Vail next season since I've never been to Vail, but I do like how at PH BC we can walk to all kinds of restaurants, and it's only 5k/ni points difference. My wife has a massive load of Marriott points, so perhaps there's a more ideal hotel in Vail we can use her points at to get into the main village.
I'm actually in this situation now. I bought tickets to get to Vail, but now have to decide on which hotel. I have a boatload of Marriott points, and I don't plan on keeping Ambassador status with Marriott after next year. Either use points with bit of cash for a Deluxe larger guest room with fireplace with Marriott Vail, or stick with GH Vail by paying cash with their Deluxe Mountain View room. I have top tier status with both programs, but based on reviewed, GH Vail might treat top tiers better?

Has anyone been to both properties? (Marriott Vail vs GH Vail?)

Much thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
GH Vail is a great property with true ski-in/ski-out and a number of activities on-site. They also offer a regular shuttle to Lionshead and Vail Village. Highly recommend. Prive offers here can be quite compelling as well.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

If the Marriott options are in the main village I might be inclined to go that route given the GH Vail seems like it's not near much of anything and I wanted to walk to get different dinners each night. My wife has a ton of Marriott points so that's what we're thinking about for next season on our first Vail trip, and I'll just save my Hyatt points for more visits to BC.

Since you mentioned paying cash on the GH Vail room, you'd still get the not super valuable Globalist room upgrade, but also either club access or free restaurant breakfast (not sure which the GH Vail has since I haven't been yet). You wouldn't get the waived resort fee + parking fee since those require a points or award stay.

I don't think the skiing is going to be all that great right now unfortunately; our next trip is coming up in 3.5 weeks (Keystone) so I'm addicted to the Epic app and mountain cams, and there's been next to zero snow in the area after the 6-8" from 15 days ago. BC was all iced up when we left Jan 2
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:23 am

If the Marriott options are in the main village I might be inclined to go that route given the GH Vail seems like it's not near much of anything and I wanted to walk to get different dinners each night. My wife has a ton of Marriott points so that's what we're thinking about for next season on our first Vail trip, and I'll just save my Hyatt points for more visits to BC.

Since you mentioned paying cash on the GH Vail room, you'd still get the not super valuable Globalist room upgrade, but also either club access or free restaurant breakfast (not sure which the GH Vail has since I haven't been yet). You wouldn't get the waived resort fee + parking fee since those require a points or award stay.

I don't think the skiing is going to be all that great right now unfortunately; our next trip is coming up in 3.5 weeks (Keystone) so I'm addicted to the Epic app and mountain cams, and there's been next to zero snow in the area after the 6-8" from 15 days ago. BC was all iced up when we left Jan 2
The shuttle into town is quite convenient and drops off at the Transportation Center. GH Vail does not have a lounge, but the restaurant breakfast is quite good. And during the current promo, resort fees and parking are both waived.

We just got back, and while they do need some snow, the skiing is quite good.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Park Hyatt Niseko for those in Asia or Japan.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

If both of those are waived, and the rate were nice, I might be inclined to pay to also take advantage of the 4x points earn promo. I didn't realize how much the rate had dropped from a couple weeks ago; it's like a third of Christmas/NYE rates right now.
CLEguy and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH Vail hands down. Vail Marriott is actually not that convenient. It is closer to Lionshead but the walk, in ski boots, gets old fast. GH Vail is ski-in/ski-out. Vail Marriott front desk agent also claimed that Marriott only provide one category view upgrade even for AMB guests.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 12, 2021 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
GH Vail hands down. Vail Marriott is actually not that convenient. It is closer to Lionshead but the walk, in ski boots, gets old fast. GH Vail is ski-in/ski-out. Vail Marriott front desk agent also claimed that Marriott only provide one category view upgrade even for AMB guests.
Bonvoy!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:14 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks everyone, it is going to be GH Vail. With their work from Hyatt promotion, the waived resort fees, 50% off valet, and 50 dollar per day credit is pretty generous.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Poster

When's your trip? Would love to know your thoughts on GH Vail after you get back; still trying to plan out next season so I can book before points get turned off.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:00 am

When's your trip? Would love to know your thoughts on GH Vail after you get back; still trying to plan out next season so I can book before points get turned off.
I've stayed there when it was previously Talisa (post-renovation) and during this ski season, with another trip coming soon. What would you like to know?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I've stayed there when it was previously Talisa (post-renovation) and during this ski season, with another trip coming soon. What would you like to know?
Any significant difference, other than flags, between Talisa and GH Vail?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Any significant difference, other than flags, between Talisa and GH Vail?
Not really. Still offering a number of activities onsite, including complimentary passed champagne (I think Thurs-Sat?). Still offering the ski valet. Still offering the option of a la carte breakfast (in Gessner) or buffet (in a ballroom); for what its worth, the Gessner breakfast is much higher quality.

In addition, there's a food truck onsite, ice skating, outdoor fire tables for rent, axe throwing, and an outdoor ice bar. And of course the regular shuttle into town, though the house car has been discontinued.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
... before points get turned off.
What does this mean? Is the property planning to discontinue award nights and stays? Do you expect the property's award nights to be completely booked and thus no more available? Something else? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.