Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I gave this a Like even though I don't actually like the news. I figured the Ventana deal would degrade before 2023 but this would be much sooner and much steeper a devaluation than I imagined.

Peak pricing is looking like the least of our problems.
In some ways it would be an odd move. It’s the flagship Alila in the US and the Alila brand is generally stronger than Miraval. But on the other hand the vibe there (incl. being full board) does seem quite Miraval-y. I’d imagine they’d need to do a significant expansion of their spa, fitness center and activities spaces if they were to become a Miraval.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If they just do Miraval pricing and leave it Alila, then definitely not great news. If they make it Miraval and move to being more inclusive with nightly credit per person for spa, and including most activities, as well as expanding what activities are available, I think it could actually be a boon for Ventana and I'd be more likely to spend points there.

It's a great property, but it gets a bit boring unless you're interested in and willing to drop a good amount of cash on the few activities they offer.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:05 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
It absolutely was worth keeping when it was the most prominent member of the Alila brand at the time. Hard to convince new owners to join a fledgling brand when existing owners are trying to dump it.

Note the first thing Hyatt did when taking it over was change the branding from Ventana, an Alila Resort to Alila Ventana Big Sur.

They also sold it to Host, a REIT whom they've trusted with owning some of their most prominent divestitures - Grand Hyatt San Francisco, Andaz Maui, Coconut Point - and a company that owns 1/3 of all the US Grand Hyatt properties. They aren't going to pull the flag.

At the time I thought maybe Hyatt were upset with the clear gaming of WoH reimbursements by the owners. It now seems more likely the developers of the hotel always intended to flip it when it stabilized (and rumors are the economics were a bit shaky before the all inclusive model/WoH came along). Hyatt was just being defensive.
No disagreement about whether it was the right move for Hyatt. There was a big discussion on TG about the ADR changing for this property when they went AI and how that impacted Hyatt from a redemption standpoint.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless you've actually seen the agreement, you have no clue how easy or costly it would be for the owner to term the management agreement prior to expiration.
This is a very naive view of how this industry works. No one made claims about how costly it is for the contract to be terminated. Just that, for a price, it can be done so trivially (as contracts like this have in the past and will continue to in the future).
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
What's most important is that I'm here right now and this place is the best hotel points deal in America.
BobSafari, JackE, lotrbfme and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Lomic
If they just do Miraval pricing and leave it Alila, then definitely not great news. If they make it Miraval and move to being more inclusive with nightly credit per person for spa, and including most activities, as well as expanding what activities are available, I think it could actually be a boon for Ventana and I'd be more likely to spend points there.

It's a great property, but it gets a bit boring unless you're interested in and willing to drop a good amount of cash on the few activities they offer.
agree
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomic

I suppose the property would have to buy the spa to make that work, right? They claim they don't own the spa, at least when it comes to getting base points for spend there.

Also, I don't think they'd have nearly enough capacity there to include treatments like Miraval.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by AWood
What's most important is that I'm here right now and this place is the best hotel points deal in America.
I'll second this. If there is a place that is even close in North America (points), I'd love to know. I'll give in a shot.

We are just returning from our second trip. This is a phenomenal couples resort. As far as "boring", I suppose if you don't like to hike and/or nature. There are (near) free state parks with incredible views just minutes away.

As for nightly entertainment - kids free nights with the spouse and relaxing in front of a fireplace is good enough for me.

We are planning our third trip (now if we could just find a regular room to use a suite upgrade with).

Cheers
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RioAg
I'll second this. If there is a place that is even close in North America (points), I'd love to know. I'll give in a shot.

We are just returning from our second trip. This is a phenomenal couples resort. As far as "boring", I suppose if you don't like to hike and/or nature. There are (near) free state parks with incredible views just minutes away...

We are planning our third trip (now if we could just find a regular room to use a suite upgrade with).
Greetings, neighbor RioAg! We just arrived for our first stay last night, staying through Wednesday. Still getting acclimated to the place. Dinner last night was fantastic, and the woman handling check-in was a delight.

Would so appreciate your and other's suggestions for places to visit and things to do right now, in early-mid November. We've been swamped enough with work that we did very little research or preparation, so we are trying to catch up.

And will PM you now, would be nice to say hello before we leave.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by DaveH
Would so appreciate your and other's suggestions for places to visit and things to do right now, in early-mid November. We've been swamped enough with work that we did very little research or preparation, so we are trying to catch up.
This is what we did last time we were here:
  • Pfeiffer Beach- like $10 entrance fee but beautiful beachy area with awesome rock features.
  • Buzzard’s Roost Trail Loop - 2-4mi loop up a bluff, kind of hard to find the trail entrance but if you park near some bridge next to a small river you are close
  • McWay falls - super casual walk over an amazing isolated beach/cove. They charge to park in the parking lot but just park on the side of the road for free, a lot of places are like this.
  • Andrew Molera Beach - this trail started with having to take off your shoes and wade across the water to get to the beach!
  • Grab a cocktail at Nepenthe, assuming they don't close seasonally, quite close to Ventana
and I had this on my list for next time:
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Besides the Hyatt flag, Miraval......Ventana.....one has nothing to do with the other. Two different products. Changing award pricing to match Miraval seems logical. I like 'em both for different reasons. Tthere is only one Ventana and it cannot be duplicated, until they buy Post Valley Ranch.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:03 am

Soccerjosh

Soccerjosh Provided a good list. I’d add, the Bluff’s trail is the best overall I’ve done in the area. You are walking alongside the ocean for a lot of it, and it takes you to a cove in the beach as well. On the road, otherwise I’d post some pictures.

personally, I’d skip the buzzard’s trail. It’s a tough hike and, in my opinion, the view at the top isn’t worth the hike. Can’t go wrong, but it wouldn’t be a the top of my list.

for an easy trail, definitely check out the newly opened Pfeiffer Falls trail- redwoods, waterfall, etc.

cheers
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Soccerjosh and RioAg, for the very helpful comments. Much appreciated!

We're just getting ready for the 10am property tour, then we're going to go do a bit of exploring per your suggestions.

Just got back from a scrumptuous breakfast outdoors, overlooking the a gorgeous ocean view, where they were seating all the diners under the heatlamps. (Very tasty. Not quite the level of last night, which my foodie partner pronounced "sublime", but still impressive.)

Originally Posted by RioAg
Soccerjosh Provided a good list. I’d add, the Bluff’s trail is the best overall I’ve done in the area. ...personally, I’d skip the buzzard’s trail. It’s a tough hike and, in my opinion, the view at the top isn’t worth the hike. ...for an easy trail, definitely check out the newly opened Pfeiffer Falls trail- redwoods, waterfall, etc.

cheers
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:55 am

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...dge-trail-loop
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaveH
Thanks Soccerjosh and RioAg, for the very helpful comments. Much appreciated!

We're just getting ready for the 10am property tour, then we're going to go do a bit of exploring per your suggestions.

Just got back from a scrumptuous breakfast outdoors, overlooking the a gorgeous ocean view, where they were seating all the diners under the heatlamps. (Very tasty. Not quite the level of last night, which my foodie partner pronounced "sublime", but still impressive.)
Enjoy! My favorite breakfast item was the avocado toast sans the red onions.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:40 pm

Just returned - but had to go all in and get a premium suite with points. Last year we had a standard room and used a suite upgrade.

what are they considering a standard room now? I know this has been discussed at one point, but can’t seem to find it. Apparently it’s not a king bed with fireplace.

No availability next fall.. a year ahead of time for the “standard” award.

we loved the hot tub suite- but definitely not worth double points over standard room + suite upgrade cert to Big Sur suite.

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.