Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 14, 20, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
We were there for 4 nights, arrived on Monday Aug. 31, 2 days after hotel reopened after brief evacuation from the fires. Weather was foggy and cold first 2 days and quiet with less than 50% occupancy. Sunny the next 2 days but visibility limited by haze/smoke. We checked out the Glamping area le afternoon and hiked up the Forest Service road one morning since the State Parks were closed. Glamping is $270 and camp site is $80 per night.

I was able to change my standard suite award to standard room award (saving 54,000 points after rebate) week before our stay, then applied a TSU. We were further upgraded from Big Sur Suite to Coast House Suite, which was 1300 ft2, the largest on property. The suite was across from valet parking service so very convenient for luggage. We hardly used the big living room with kitchen during our stay.

Ventana guests are over 90-95% from California, Bay Area and LA area. Those of us from the East Coast are at distinct disadvantage when it comes to finding standard award and short stays since we have to plan far enough ahead for cross country trips.

Social hour each afternoon served 1 white wine and nightly S’mores served a red wine. Wine selection changed daily. We had le petit paysan chardonnay, rosť, cabernet on different days, and a very good Pinot noir the last night.

we did not see anyone at Mountain Pool whenever we walked by, and had lunch by main pool everyday. Salmon poke was excellent, probably best item on lunch menu. Picnic was not very interesting, so we had charcuterie with artisanal cheese. Sur View Ocean view picnic site was hot under the sun and bees. I would skip picnic if we return in the future.

I thought steak was the best tasting dinner entree so I had that 3 nights, once with simple preparation and all 4 vegetables. I also had CA halibut ceviche 3 times and crab cocktail once.

I was charged for fancy lemonade at lunch one day, but had the charge removed during checkout except for tips.

Overall excellent stay and even greater value for points. I would definitely return if I can find standard room award. However I wouldn’t want to return to CA until the fires are out, state parks are open and restaurants are open to indoor dining.
nsx likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:30 pm

Checking in Thursday (seems like a few fellow FT will be there too) but hopefully some helpful context to the questions that keep getting posted around closures, air quality, etc:
  • HWY 1 is closed coming from the south (i.e. LA) due to the Dolan Fire.You have to go inland and up over Monterrey/Carmel. I also don't see a world where road closures change from this state in the near future. Coming from the north there are no closures.
  • Air Quality varies day to day, it's pretty hard to predict what it'll be in the next 2 days let alone a week out. The current air quality maps tell very little unless you're on your way there. Being coastal usually helps, there's just so much smoke currently pushed well into the Pacific that needs to be recycled and the impacts from the Dolan fire. I personally don't expect consistency until Nov+ when we (hopefully) see rains start.
  • Dolan Fire is moving south and east, pretty unlikely to see evacuations again for the Ventana.
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:14 pm
cc9

I ended up keeping my reservation for last weekend and so glad I did! They cancelled Fri evening outdoor service+activities due to the really, really bad aqi, but reopened for Sat when aqi improved. They were transparent about services being AQI dependent on check-in. Honestly, as a local, I really just appreciated the chance to slow down, escape the city, and just chill on the property. Plus, it helped that I was upgraded from a standard room to a Pacific suite (private patio with hot tub!) on check-in. Upgrade was likely because that's what was ready (my original room wasn't) and they wanted to get me into a room inside ASAP and not bc of status alone (discoverist). They also provided an additional air purifier (blue air model), which worked great. Already trying to figure out when I can go back, would love to check out the spa / hot baths etc.

For those who want to hike and see all the sights, this is probably not the time to come. Garrapata bluffs/beach access and Soberanes point (beach side) were open for some short walks but visibility is limited dep on fog/marine layer/smoke.
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by partsunknown View Post
Air Quality varies day to day, it's pretty hard to predict what it'll be in the next 2 days let alone a week out.
I use windy.com. Select the Air Quality layer, then PM2.5. You can play a 5-day forecast. A clean air window is opening for a few days starting tomorrow.
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I use windy.com. Select the Air Quality layer, then PM2.5. You can play a 5-day forecast. A clean air window is opening for a few days starting tomorrow.
They're just guessing. The current condition presents a completely new set of inputs that the existing models cannot handle. A good example is heavy smoke keeping temps in the central valley lower than normal, thus suppressing the onshore winds that normally keep the bay clear this time of year.
nsx likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:17 pm

Yeah, today was a really good indication of the shift from offshore winds though. First day I could see the golden gate and even Oakland hills from SF. I take that as a good sign for the pattern holding over the next couple days in terms of air quality.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:19 am

Has anyone gotten any upgrades as an Explorist at this property?
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Has anyone tried checking in early at this property?
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I checked in midweek at 145 PM and the room was ready. I think it depends how full they are. Also, I called ahead with my approximate arrival time.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I checked in on Monday at 3PM, suite was not ready until 4 PM, however, Social Hour that day started at 3PM. So I had several cups of let petit paysan chardonnay while we waited.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:38 am

Here now! We just texted the concierge but maybe someone can answer my question here.

When ordering in-room dining on the tablet, prices are listed and there is a cart and total etc so it looks like youíre getting a bill for it. I would assume we wonít actually be billed due to the all inclusive but if breakfast will be $100 Iíll walk over to the Sur House. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:41 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by gava View Post
When ordering in-room dining on the tablet, prices are listed and there is a cart and total etc so it looks like youíre getting a bill for it. I would assume we wonít actually be billed due to the all inclusive but if breakfast will be $100 Iíll walk over to the Sur House. Has anyone else experienced this?
We had breakfast in the room each day and it was completely free. I've no idea who would stay and need to pay. Programming error??
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:53 am

I hope so. Itís a little off putting to have to ask. Weíre going to call in the order but double check with them.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by gava View Post
I hope so. Itís a little off putting to have to ask. Weíre going to call in the order but double check with them.
but the bill you sign is $0, at least for the two room service breakfasts that I had in August, both ordered on the iPad the night before with prices on the order confirmation.
Old Sep 19, 20, 11:53 am

Did 3 nights here. Overall a great stay. Several service snafus that were all fairly minor (shower door did not close right, housekeeping came at wrong time after being scheduled, cancellation of morning yoga activity without notice or advisement which is a serious hassle when you get up for it at 0700, etc). However, for a place charging 2000+ a night for stays, my tolerance for any miscue would be 0. Just impossible to justify that price beyond the economics of silicon valley rich upper crusters who have more money than sense and just want an escape. Overall, the place was beautiful and really enjoyable. Got a spa suite upgrade which was fantastic (they even took time to figure out a way to shut off the stupid spa light that came on every night so I could sit in the spa in peace without the light at night). Food was very good, and I was told by the front desk to just order whatever I wanted, so despite it saying 1 entree, appetizer, etc, I had no issues when I wanted a little something extra (nor should I, again for 2k+ a night). Saw a dozen wild turkeys on property, some deer and a carefree skunk, which was all a neat bonus. Staff were mostly very helpful and friendly and overall it was a great stay. Would definitely return on points and for using points I was super pleased with the stay. Had I spent regular cash rates I would not thought it close to worth it, but for points it was fantastic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: