Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:13 am

Recently returned from an award stay. Overall, a fabulous stay paired with great weather. A few things to add to other posts:
  • Cell service (ATT and Verizon) is available throughout the property - text for service needs
  • Complementary aluminum water bottles, not insulated but attractive
  • House car (fleet of Volvo XC90s) was convenient - used it to go to Big Sur Bakery and to Nepenthe
  • Gym has two Peloton bikes
  • ETA - entire staff was by far the nicest and most engaging staff ever

Last edited by Troopers; Mar 4, 2020 at 11:25 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:48 am

Has anyone been upgraded that's an Explorist on award stay? Trying to see if it's worth 30k a night to book a weekend, but would like to be upgraded
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by doenutt
Has anyone been upgraded that's an Explorist on award stay? Trying to see if it's worth 30k a night to book a weekend, but would like to be upgraded
Yes recently, one level upgrade to a room w fireplace.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
1 night stay as Globalist, upgraded without asking from base King (points redemption) to Pacific House suite with woodburning fireplace and private hot tub on patio. (At time of check-in, the base room was going for $700++ and the upgraded room was going for $1850++).

Beautiful room, very peaceful grounds, hot tub on private patio was a definite winner. Called in the morning and was granted a 4pm checkout (at checkin, we were told that late check out is based on availability because it's a resort, etc.)

"Social hour" was okay -- comp drinks included a ~$20 local cab, Monterey lager, a white and a rose wine, Four Roses (regular though, not small batch or single barrel), and Patron, along with a cocktail (Jardesca & pink lemonade spritz)... sort of a mixed bag. And the snacks were popcorn or mixed nuts, nothing fancy. I had read a review that indicated a more elevated wine and cheese offering so our expectations were set higher. Also, no welcome champagne (though I'd read a review indicating there was such).

Food & beverage at Sur House was also okay, but nothing spectacular. Kanpachi crudo, squid ink pasta with dungeness crab, and mussels with chorizo were all decently well done. Nothing on the dessert menu stood out so we went to the bar for a drink (they had Van Winkle 12 at a very very reasonable price) and asked whether they had a cheese plate -- they did (not on the menu), and it was fantastic, highly recommend.

Breakfast in the morning was very ordinary, go for the views but only if you can get a table by the window, otherwise just get room service. (Though the 0.3-mile walk to the Sur House is nice.) Globalist benefit covers $82 towards breakfast.

So -- hard product and service are totally amazing, but if we return (and we likely would, for 2 or 3 nights), we'll definitely check out other dining options.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
"Social hour" was okay -- comp drinks included a ~$20 local cab, Monterey lager, a white and a rose wine, Four Roses (regular though, not small batch or single barrel), and Patron, along with a cocktail (Jardesca & pink lemonade spritz)... sort of a mixed bag. And the snacks were popcorn or mixed nuts, nothing fancy. I had read a review that indicated a more elevated wine and cheese offering so our expectations were set higher. Also, no welcome champagne (though I'd read a review indicating there was such).
Fever Tree ginger beer was available at social hour. We were offered wine at check-in.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
Fever Tree ginger beer was available at social hour. We were offered wine at check-in.
Interesting re: check-in. We checked in around 3:15 p.m. and none of the other 3 couples we saw check in got wine or champagne either. (At first I thought perhaps it was because we were on points...)

There's refills at social hour so nbd anyhow -- the spritzer thing was decent.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: Alaska, American, Delta, Aer Lingus, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's very disappointing if it's supposed to be an adults only resort.
but yet they allow dogs. Don’t dogs bark similar to how kids scream, plus they drop turds even more than kids
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:58 pm

Which suite is the best on this property? If anyone that had been there could provide some inputs?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
Parking is obviously free, yes. You're in the middle of nowhere, it'd be hilarious if they charged for parking on top of the $1000+ rates.
The Ritz-Carlton Bacara outside Santa Barbara is also quite isolated, but still charges $50/day for parking (given the Covid situation, they're currently also offering self-parking at the bargain rate of $25/night). So, yeah, never underestimate properties' willingness to charge for things.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This hotel is offering the ability to book premium suites online with points right now - the rate listed is "confidential", but at checkout, it resolves to the expected 48,000 pts for a standard suite and 60,000 pts for a premium suite.
nsx and SanDiego1K like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
This hotel is offering the ability to book premium suites online with points right now - the rate listed is "confidential", but at checkout, it resolves to the expected 48,000 pts for a standard suite and 60,000 pts for a premium suite.
Oh wow ok.
I only see the premium suites during the dates I want. Which suite is the best for couples?
there’s Big Sur Forest Shower Suite, Big Sur spa Suite, and Vista hot tub suite
Old May 17, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not open for the beginning part of June now. They rather unceremoniously canceled my reservation. I only even found out because it was missing from my Hyatt account and the points where returned.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
My July 4 weekend stay just got cancelled. Looks like they now open in mid-July.
Old May 21, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callmedtop
My July 4 weekend stay just got cancelled. Looks like they now open in mid-July.
Did they contact you? Or just cancel?
Old May 21, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did they contact you? Or just cancel?
Email from a generic Globalist concierge and then a cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.