Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
People from out of town should be a bit weary at 'openings' because of some 'bad weather' - the power was out for days in Monterey County (county, not city, very widespread), Highway 1 is currently flooded in two places and on our drive back from Big Sur a few days ago we spotted four trees across the road and numerous smaller mudslides and rockfalls. That'll get a lot worse tonight. We're seeing really bad weather right now, with possibilities of being unable to get to Ventana or being unable to travel out for a while. Just be informed of the actual weather...
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by caliform
People from out of town should be a bit weary at 'openings' because of some 'bad weather' - the power was out for days in Monterey County (county, not city, very widespread), Highway 1 is currently flooded in two places and on our drive back from Big Sur a few days ago we spotted four trees across the road and numerous smaller mudslides and rockfalls. That'll get a lot worse tonight. We're seeing really bad weather right now, with possibilities of being unable to get to Ventana or being unable to travel out for a while. Just be informed of the actual weather...

departed the property this morning at 7:45am. The wind last night was incredible (started around 3-4am) and was absolutely howling. Door had water running underneath due to wind pushing rain in. I was on second floor in room 20.

Roads north to SF was clear this am, couple of downed branches and puddles of water. Highway 1 was closed a few hours after and I went through Salinas/Gilmore back to SF.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Stay safe everyone. I can definitely imagine that area being unsafe/dangerous due to winds on the 1, and risk of mudslides.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:20 pm

Stayed last weekend, overall a good stay. When checking in - did not acknowledge Globalist but did provide a suite upgrade "because of our anniversary " - Big Sur Shower Suite was very nice. This was our fifth stay but they asked us probably 5-6 times if this is our first time here. No big deal, I prefer to be incognito anyway. Perhaps they don't have many repeat guests.
Service at the main pool was terrible as has been the case in most previous stays. You literally have to hunt someone down to get a food order in and then wait forever to get it, if it comes at all. This time, also every single seat at the pool was "occupied" with old towels and leftover glasses that were not cleaned up or removed. Note the people had long left - there were no personal belongings left, just towels and leftover food. Service at the pool seems always bad but this was a new low.
Dinner at the Sur House took 3 hours, incl. about 1 hour before the first appetizer was served. Wait staff was very friendly but they had a large and very loud birthday party group that looks like derailed their entire service routine. They comped all the alcoholic drinks because it took so long - I didn't mind, it felt like a nice and long dinner in France.
Overall, the service at this place is not very good. Front staff are fantastic and always responsive, service at the pool is terrible everytime. They seem understaffed and their service personal definitely lacks proper training and polish. They must not pay them very well, is my best guess.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:21 pm

Weird, we went in December and got great Globalist recognition. It was our second time staying -- the previous in early 2021 still fairly in pandemic mode. Front desk not only thanked us for coming back, but had prepared a summary to highlight basically everything that had changed on the property since our last visit. Literally had a list of 10 important things to go over with us to make sure we'd be informed.

We had some other issues, but front desk and dinner were the most solid things. If those are having problems now, that's certainly not great.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lomic
Weird, we went in December and got great Globalist recognition. It was our second time staying -- the previous in early 2021 still fairly in pandemic mode. Front desk not only thanked us for coming back, but had prepared a summary to highlight basically everything that had changed on the property since our last visit. Literally had a list of 10 important things to go over with us to make sure we'd be informed.

We had some other issues, but front desk and dinner were the most solid things. If those are having problems now, that's certainly not great.
I think the front desk is fine and the dinner thing was due to the Big party. My complaint remains about service at the pool.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Any experiences from guests that didn't come as a couple? My wife and her sister want to do a girls trip for a couple nights here.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Any experiences from guests that didn't come as a couple? My wife and her sister want to do a girls trip for a couple nights here.
I see many friends/family groups. Shouldn't be an issue.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
i can't imagine sharing a bed with anyone other than my partner and the value proposition for 2 people spending 80,000+ points per night for 2 rooms is rather weak.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
i can't imagine sharing a bed with anyone other than my partner and the value proposition for 2 people spending 80,000+ points per night for 2 rooms is rather weak.
Big Sur Villa is the only room that has a foldout sofa which the front desk was gracious enough to upgrade us into.

Our first trip was during 2020 and they had a rollaway bed, but that has been retired. Too many kids showing up.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Big Sur Villa is the only room that has a foldout sofa which the front desk was gracious enough to upgrade us into.

Our first trip was during 2020 and they had a rollaway bed, but that has been retired. Too many kids showing up.
I stayed there in autumn 2020 a couple times and never saw anyone but adults.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I stayed there in autumn 2020 a couple times and never saw anyone but adults.
Same but just parroting what the front desk said. Being able to confidently say "no" when asked if they had a rollaway was deemed to be a suitable deterrent to parents with children who decide to show up anyway despite the rules.

When Hyatt became the owners they made a number of changes and I bet that was when it happened.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Mar 23, 2023 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:29 am

Kids are allowed for special events. I'm going to guess the kids of special guests shelling out for special events do get to stay with them
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:34 am

My understanding is that a CA Supreme Court ruling established that hotels which can be booked by the public can't restrict children from staying. I guess you can still advertise as adults only, but they'd be exposing themselves to likely civil suits by turning away guests with children. I've seen people say "what about the clothing optional pools" -- as far as I know it's not illegal for children to see people nude when parents are opting in to the possibility. I assume staff make sure they know.

I've heard of people getting pretty generous points comp when complaining about children being present at Ventana and Napa, but be aware it's entirely possible for children to be there despite the website's promise.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lomic
My understanding is that a CA Supreme Court ruling established that hotels which can be booked by the public can't restrict children from staying. I guess you can still advertise as adults only, but they'd be exposing themselves to likely civil suits by turning away guests with children. I've seen people say "what about the clothing optional pools" -- as far as I know it's not illegal for children to see people nude when parents are opting in to the possibility. I assume staff make sure they know.

I've heard of people getting pretty generous points comp when complaining about children being present at Ventana and Napa, but be aware it's entirely possible for children to be there despite the website's promise.
Exactly. Hotels must allow children, but that doesn't prevent hotels from advertising to an adult clientele or make it less child friendly (such as not offering roll away beds)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.