Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:45 am

We're here now, staying on points. We were upgraded from the standard king bed to the 2-story Big Sur Villa. The villa wasn't ready at 4pm, and without asking, was given $100 credit.

Yesterday, the weather was wonderful. Clear, sunny and warm enough to lay out by the pool and dip in (couldn't see the ocean until early earning). Lots of people having dinner at the Sur House, easily 15 parties when we were there. Weather looks like it will be better every day we're here.

We were here in March right before the shutdown. The few non covid-19 related changes have been positive. We enjoyed the addition of the smores (multiple marshmallow flavors and cracker types)...yummy. I thought the food quality might go down a notch because of all-inclusive but in our opinion, it has not. We're very happy with the food so far, and looking forward to breakfast which should be delivered to the room soon. Lastly, the new staff are eager to assist.

ETA: I think the in-room tablet is new as I don't remember it before. Will report back on its effectiveness.
SanDiego1K, kouichi and mikewhyatt like this.

Last edited by Troopers; Jul 27, 2020 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmiles
In the next few days I’ll be canceling a 4 night room reservation, arriving Monday August 24, 2020. 30,000 points per night. Not sure if availability will open up following cancellation. Just in case I’ll post it here when I cancel. If you want to be notified right away, just PM me.

I’d love to go , but not comfortable yet, flying from east coast. I have another reservation in Sept, that I still hope to use.
it worked. I cancelled reservation, and the inventory became available right away. I PM’d the first Flyertalker that reached out to me, and they booked the room.

it might be helpful for others to share cancellations, for the benefit of the community.
dw, Kacee and mikewhyatt like this.

Last edited by beachmiles; Jul 27, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by boolean64
Does anyone know the corkage policy at the restaurant? I'd call or e-mail the hotel, but sounds like i'll get a quicker answer here if anyone knows.

Also, for those who have eaten at the restaurant, how effective are the heat lamps? Or should i tell my better half to pack a heavy sweater for dinner? We are going second weekend of august so odds of fog are quite high.
We were there last week, and enjoyed eating at the restaurant. Heat lamps and fire pits are quite effective and we felt comfortable during breakfast and dinner, however, if you intend walking there, heavy sweater/windbreaker are advisable, as it is a 10 minutes (pleasant) walk. You can get a ride instead, but we liked the walk. Food was excellent, reservations recommended.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Gberg
Just had two one-night stays this week (long story). Similar experience to others. Overall, property and rooms were beautiful. The first room we had was a king room with a fire place. The ceilings were a bit low but very well decorated and great views from balcony into the woods and mountains. The second room we had was a Big Sur suite. Much more spacious and had better views (also enjoyed the large balcony and hammock). The suite made a big difference. Service was nice but we had a few issues (e.g., hotel forgot turn down service both nights, no hot water one morning, a couple of food orders got messed up, etc.). As many have noted, employees are working hard but hotel seemed short-staffed and was trying to work out kinks given it was second opening week.

A couple of takeaways for anyone going:
  • Food - In the restaurant, the crab cocktail and halibut ceviche were the best appetizers by far. Best entrees we had were the chicken and steak (salmon was nothing special). At the pool, fish tacos and salmon poke were the best. Room service, the charcuterie board and bone broth were great (chicken wasn't that good). Coffee at hotel is excellent. I would recommend making reservations for breakfast and dinner. Room service has a minimum wait of an hour and overall would recommend eating at restaurant instead. Bottled water, iced tea, and soda were free at all venues, billed for alcohol and NA cocktails only
  • Room - Personally, I thought the Big Sur suite was well worth the extra points over the standard room (obviously an upgrade is ideal but there were a ton of globalists so many weren't getting bumped up). We had friends staying in the Big Sur shower suite but it basically was the same as Big Sur suite but with an outdoor shower (don't think it's worth any points/cash premium). If you have are in a building with two stories, aim to be on the upper one as we heard footsteps quite a bit our first night from the guest above
  • Activities - Two pools, the one near the front desk usually had 10-15 people total, the one tucked in the back was usually empty. Gym and baths are closed but saw there were two pelotons (didn't use) that I think are still available. Best picnic spot seemed to be under the redwoods, they also have s'mores there between 8-10 and have homemade marshmallows
Also, amazing safeguards in place for COVID - all dining tables spaced out, staff was always wearing masks, and rooms were sanitized and locked with a seal. While the hotel was basically full (85% max now), felt much emptier given many are sticking in their rooms and not going out
The information on what all-inclusive means seems to still be muddied. Some said their non-alcoholic drinks were free, while some like you said the non-alcoholic cocktails were charged. I emailed the hotel and they said all non-alcoholic beverages should be included. Looking on the website, it says:Restrictions:

Please note that spa services, retail, Alila Experiences, upgraded food offerings and alcoholic beverages—including our award-winning cocktails and wines from our 10,000-bottle cellar—are available for a supplementary charge.

The above implies that only alcoholic beverages are charged.

Anyways, I will be there tomorrow and will see what they say.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y
The information on what all-inclusive means seems to still be muddied. Some said their non-alcoholic drinks were free, while some like you said the non-alcoholic cocktails were charged. I emailed the hotel and they said all non-alcoholic beverages should be included. Looking on the website, it says:Restrictions:

Please note that spa services, retail, Alila Experiences, upgraded food offerings and alcoholic beverages—including our award-winning cocktails and wines from our 10,000-bottle cellar—are available for a supplementary charge.

Despite what the menu shows, we were NOT charged for any non alcoholic drinks at every meal (pool, Sur House dinner and in-room breakfast) so far.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:22 am

Troopers Are you a globalist? Additionally, any updated info on hot tub / baths?
kouichi likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y

Non alcoholic definitely should be included.
kouichi and invalyd like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Troopers Are you a globalist? Additionally, any updated info on hot tub / baths?
No, an explorist (upgrade to Big Sur Villa showed up in app a day or two before check-in). Hot tub/baths remain closed.
kouichi and mikewhyatt like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frankels
What are usually nicer weather months? I've heard there is less fog in October, but is it warmer? Not sure how weather fares in Big Sur, seems like a different planet to me.
September and October are warmer and less foggy months.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:54 am

Great write up and agree with you regarding the food! Some surprise delights were the vegan Caesar salad - the dressing is so good! The steak is from Flannery Beef, which is served at Manresa (3 Michelin Star restaurant in Los Gatos, CA) as well. Coffee is Verve Seabright, which I really enjoy as well.

We had a friend stay in the Hot Tub suite and it was essentially a 1st-floor Big Sur Suite with a hot tub on the balcony. Was nice to use at the evening but not sure I’d pay a premium in order to get it, especially if the hot tubs are open in the future.

A couple of takeaways for anyone going:
  • Food - In the restaurant, the crab cocktail and halibut ceviche were the best appetizers by far. Best entrees we had were the chicken and steak (salmon was nothing special). At the pool, fish tacos and salmon poke were the best. Room service, the charcuterie board and bone broth were great (chicken wasn't that good). Coffee at hotel is excellent. I would recommend making reservations for breakfast and dinner. Room service has a minimum wait of an hour and overall would recommend eating at restaurant instead. Bottled water, iced tea, and soda were free at all venues, billed for alcohol and NA cocktails only
  • Room - Personally, I thought the Big Sur suite was well worth the extra points over the standard room (obviously an upgrade is ideal but there were a ton of globalists so many weren't getting bumped up). We had friends staying in the Big Sur shower suite but it basically was the same as Big Sur suite but with an outdoor shower (don't think it's worth any points/cash premium). If you have are in a building with two stories, aim to be on the upper one as we heard footsteps quite a bit our first night from the guest above
  • Activities - Two pools, the one near the front desk usually had 10-15 people total, the one tucked in the back was usually empty. Gym and baths are closed but saw there were two pelotons (didn't use) that I think are still available. Best picnic spot seemed to be under the redwoods, they also have s'mores there between 8-10 and have homemade marshmallows
Also, amazing safeguards in place for COVID - all dining tables spaced out, staff was always wearing masks, and rooms were sanitized and locked with a seal. While the hotel was basically full (85% max now), felt much emptier given many are sticking in their rooms and not going out
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ashley1245
Hello everyone,
The property offers two picnic settings, one overlooking the ocean and one in the redwoods. Has anyone done either or both locations so as to recommend one over the other?
Thank you!
We did the Redwoods picnic and actually brought our dessert basket to the Meadows. Both are nice and serene - the Redwoods are more secluded as you don’t have the pool people “overlooking” you, but if you’re worried about noise they are both very quiet. If there is no fog, the ocean-view meadows is quite nice.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Troopers
Despite what the menu shows, we were NOT charged for any non alcoholic drinks at every meal (pool, Sur House dinner and in-room breakfast) so far.
All NA beverages should be included (didn’t get in discussion over one beverage). Confusing for guests and staff as back of the pool menu has prices listed for all alc cocktails and non-alc cocktails. Menus in Sur House also had prices one night and was told they were just in process of updating menus and had run out of new ones.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:59 pm

All NA beverages should be included (didn’t get in discussion over one beverage). Confusing for guests and staff as back of the pool menu has prices listed for all alc cocktails and non-alc cocktails. Menus in Sur House also had prices one night and was told they were just in process of updating menus and had run out of new ones.
Thanks for the update. I, too, was confused after having just now looked at the summer menus online (both the restaurant and the pool menus) showing prices for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by blackzarg
Great write up and agree with you regarding the food! Some surprise delights were the vegan Caesar salad - the dressing is so good! The steak is from Flannery Beef, which is served at Manresa (3 Michelin Star restaurant in Los Gatos, CA) as well. Coffee is Verve Seabright, which I really enjoy as well.

We had a friend stay in the Hot Tub suite and it was essentially a 1st-floor Big Sur Suite with a hot tub on the balcony. Was nice to use at the evening but not sure I’d pay a premium in order to get it, especially if the hot tubs are open in the future.
Could I ask the people who booked with points - did you book before or after they changed to all-inclusive.

I booked a points stay for September before they changed the policy and am wondering if we're likely to get the all-inclusive meals, too. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kathy N
Could I ask the people who booked with points - did you book before or after they changed to all-inclusive.

I booked a points stay for September before they changed the policy and am wondering if we're likely to get the all-inclusive meals, too. Thanks!
I just stayed there last week on points. Booked before they changed the policy, you will be getting all inclusive meals.
kouichi and Kathy N like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.