Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by SP03

I have seen adult, college aged, children at Ventana so this makes sense.
I'd consider college aged children adults, actually. I am sure most college aged children do act like children though
Tami likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Seagull689
I'd consider college aged children adults, actually. I am sure most college aged children do act like children though
We are saying the same thing. I called them adult, college-aged, children, which means exactly the same thing ;-)

What I meant to say was that it now makes how there are people traveling with a third or forth person in the party, whether related or not. There are some rooms like the Villa and Cottage House that accommodate more than 2 people per room. I was wondering at the time whether that 3rd had to book a separate room.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I wonder how an actual case would play out. The original issue was an apartment complex denying children. I can't find examples of court cases of exclusive resorts being sued for denying kids. Maybe that's because these hotels at the end of the day never do follow through, maybe that's because nobody has ever sued after being denied 🤷 .

Probably doesn't even matter unless parents bring their kids AND the kids are rambunctious enough to break the tranquility. Depending on the circumstances, one might expect some hefty compensation from Ventana if that happened.

Anyway, it's just a war of entitlement.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:02 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Lomic
Well, I can tell you why you've seen children on the adult-only property: It's illegal to refuse lodging based on age in California... at least when the minor is accompanied by an adult and agrees to keep them supervised. So really the website's text is a marketing suggestion. I admire that they're willing to put up the fight by keeping adults-only listed on the website, but in reality if someone shows up with kids they're not going to take the legal risk of turning them away -- especially since it's already been fought all the way to the state supreme court.

What they might be able to do is charge so much for "additional guests" that the only people you'd see there with kids are their few wealthy cash guests. Maybe they already do.

interesting insights you give here. Is it truly in whole California, or is it more by County. I am asking as we see many hotels in Palm Springs where the minimum age to stay is 21.

TIA.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:46 pm

(Not sure if it’s true)

but someone in this thread or the Napa one mentioned if the resort is designated as clothing optional (like at the Ventana pools and spas) or something else, it might be a work around.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:25 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 59Impala
interesting insights you give here. Is it truly in whole California, or is it more by County. I am asking as we see many hotels in Palm Springs where the minimum age to stay is 21.

TIA.
Based on the link I posted, it's statewide.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:53 pm

First time Globalist. I’m considering booking a 2 night GOH stay for my parents 35th anniversary. Assuming I’m able to find points availability for a standard room, how high is the possibility of an upgrade, let’s say in September or October?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by akleopard
First time Globalist. I’m considering booking a 2 night GOH stay for my parents 35th anniversary. Assuming I’m able to find points availability for a standard room, how high is the possibility of an upgrade, let’s say in September or October?
I think you probably cannot find availability for a base room. Basically you will have to book a suite.
The only way you will find availability is last-minute, which I'm presuming you won't do cause there is a specified date (their anniversary).
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think you probably cannot find availability for a base room. Basically you will have to book a suite.
The only way you will find availability is last-minute, which I'm presuming you won't do cause there is a specified date (their anniversary).
There are a few dates I see that have standard room availability right now, which is why I was asking. Doesn’t have to be exactly on the anniversary date.

I guess what I’m asking is, does GOH even make a difference here?

Last edited by akleopard; Aug 21, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:04 pm

There are a few dates I see that have standard room availability right now, which is why I was asking. Doesn’t have to be exactly on the anniversary date.

Forget GOH or whatever for now. Book and decide later if you see availability now.
Thunderroad, Tami and jona970318 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:23 pm

Globalist means zero at this property. Your upgrade chances will be very limited. As others have posted this is a property that if you find points availability you book it. And if you want a category you book it.

Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Centurion
Globalist means zero at this property. Your upgrade chances will be very limited. As others have posted this is a property that if you find points availability you book it. And if you want a category you book it.
I disagree. Was upgraded to a Villa, during Memorial Day Weekend.
jona970318 and invalyd like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In 2021 as a Globalist I was upgraded more often than not. Even in 2020 as a low-tier elite. But 2022 is not 2020 or 2021.

I've seen most of the room types, and I still believe that all rooms are excellent at this property. You should be roaming the grounds, not staying in your room.
jona970318 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 4:02 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Given there's more than a dozen different types of rooms and suites, it might help with an upgrade. Another way to look at it is what does it hurt? It's simple to add GoH to a reservation. Even if no additional benes materialize, you're out just a few minutes of time.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Given there's more than a dozen different types of rooms and suites, it might help with an upgrade. Another way to look at it is what does it hurt? It's simple to add GoH to a reservation. Even if no additional benes materialize, you're out just a few minutes of time.
Makes sense. I was simply trying to gauge likelihood of upgrades here compared to alternative properties, but it sounds like even without an upgrade the experience is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.