Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Just in case you don't see it

Well done! I honestly, actually didn't see that. That is certainly better, I acknowledge that.

I feel like I ought to put my shovel down at this point, was not at all my intent to derail this thread (though I seem to have done so).

But it does feel like they could just make it clearer if they really wanted to market that. As mentioned, I went through their "e-brochure" describing the property, etc.

Here is the direct link to the e-brochure on their homepage:
https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/ventana-ebrochure.pdf

I literally cannot find a single mention in that PDF stating that they are an adults only property. Can anyone else? That just seems strange. Of course, I realize someone else will probably immediately find it in there, but I've read it three times and literally can't find it mentioned anywhere. It's almost like they see "adults only" as a bug, not a feature...

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tami
Well, it's technically impossible to book a reservation that includes a child, so whether someone understands the reason behind that or thinks it's an availability issue, the result is that no one should be unknowingly arriving on property with their child.
You've never worked in Customer Experience have you?

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
You've never worked in Customer Experience have you?

Regards
Will some idiots arrive without the correct reservation? Maybe. But they will not have a case to argue the kind of thing you were suggesting they may argue. As for people being Karens, well there really is no avoiding that, whatever you do.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Last time I checked, the resort allows guests for an upcharge. BYO sleeping bag because you can't get an extra bed.
I really don't understand why they don't have a few rollaway beds for guest use. Not just in situations where there's a 3rd adult in the room, but also when two adults would prefer not to sleep in a single bed. It can't be an uncommon request - it seems like every time I've stayed there's been at least a few parents and (adult) children traveling together.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I really don't understand why they don't have a few rollaway beds for guest use. Not just in situations where there's a 3rd adult in the room, but also when two adults would prefer not to sleep in a single bed. It can't be an uncommon request - it seems like every time I've stayed there's been at least a few parents and (adult) children traveling together.
So, literally just had a conversation with the front desk about this. They had rollaways when we stayed in 2020…. And took them away. I typically travel with a friend and we don’t share beds so that’s a problem.

Luckily, the Big Sur Villa has a fold out couch and they were willing to upgrade us.

The property (and Napa) have seemingly set this policy as a under 18 deterrent - it might have come from Chicago.

They couldn’t fathom an adult using a rollaway - we typically use a TSU to get the living space and trade off who gets the bed.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Aug 17, 2022 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Tami
Will some idiots arrive without the correct reservation? Maybe. But they will not have a case to argue the kind of thing you were suggesting they may argue. As for people being Karens, well there really is no avoiding that, whatever you do.
And what I've attempted to share and you continue to ignore is that at Alila Napa Valley guests have actually (not theoretically) shown up with kids and they've been allowed to stay. So apparently some have actually "argued the kind of thing I'm suggesting" and did in fact win said argument. Furthermore, in this very thread there seems to be a data point suggesting there may have been below 18 year old guests staying at the property we are currently discussing (though I fully acknowledge that isn't clearly confirmed and may be inaccurate)

I'm not entirely sure why you are expending energy attempting to argue that this can't happen given Hyatt's exceptionally accurate booking engine, when it actually does/has happened at another property in the same brand.

Anyhow, I'm done debating you on this one, we can agree to disagree. I think we've clearly established this is an Adults-Only property, it's time to move on.

Regards
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:58 am

But it does feel like they could just make it clearer if they really wanted to market that.
No doubt. Perhaps it's just par for the course? On top of my head, both PRI across the street and Auberge in Napa Valley are both adults only. And both sites have Adults Only discreetly stated somewhere on the site. I suspect it's intentional, similar to how luxury goods pricing is not listed on websites????
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:20 am

And what I've attempted to share and you continue to ignore is that at Alila Napa Valley guests have actually (not theoretically) shown up with kids and they've been allowed to stay. So apparently some have actually "argued the kind of thing I'm suggesting" and did in fact win said argument. Furthermore, in this very thread there seems to be a data point suggesting there may have been below 18 year old guests staying at the property we are currently discussing (though I fully acknowledge that isn't clearly confirmed and may be inaccurate)

I'm not entirely sure why you are expending energy attempting to argue that this can't happen given Hyatt's exceptionally accurate booking engine, when it actually does/has happened at another property in the same brand.
Not arguing it can't happen, saying the measures put in place to prevent this are reasonable.

Anyhow, I'm done debating you on this one, we can agree to disagree. I think we've clearly established this is an Adults-Only property, it's time to move on.
No need to get defensive It's just a debate about hotel policies (which you started, and continue to participate in albeit threatening to leave the conversation each time someone disagrees with you).
joecool1885 likes this.

Last edited by Tami; Aug 18, 2022 at 8:42 am
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Well, I can tell you why you've seen children on the adult-only property: It's illegal to refuse lodging based on age in California... at least when the minor is accompanied by an adult and agrees to keep them supervised. So really the website's text is a marketing suggestion. I admire that they're willing to put up the fight by keeping adults-only listed on the website, but in reality if someone shows up with kids they're not going to take the legal risk of turning them away -- especially since it's already been fought all the way to the state supreme court.

What they might be able to do is charge so much for "additional guests" that the only people you'd see there with kids are their few wealthy cash guests. Maybe they already do.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:54 am

Rules for kids may not apply if the place is booked for an event, like a wedding, as a friend of mine brought their young toddler there for a weekend wedding.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cometstar
It's an adult only property (age 18+). I would say majority of people who go are couples but have seen single people or 2 friends.
I saw a threesome on one of my trips. Not sure if they had separate rooms but they would eat and hangout by the pool as 3.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Lomic
Well, I can tell you why you've seen children on the adult-only property: It's illegal to refuse lodging based on age in California... at least when the minor is accompanied by an adult and agrees to keep them supervised. So really the website's text is a marketing suggestion. I admire that they're willing to put up the fight by keeping adults-only listed on the website, but in reality if someone shows up with kids they're not going to take the legal risk of turning them away -- especially since it's already been fought all the way to the state supreme court.

What they might be able to do is charge so much for "additional guests" that the only people you'd see there with kids are their few wealthy cash guests. Maybe they already do.
That is actually very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you can point to a source for this? I assume if its California law it has to be codified in writing somewhere but I don't have the first clue where to look.

Regards
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:28 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
That is actually very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you can point to a source for this? I assume if its California law it has to be codified in writing somewhere but I don't have the first clue where to look.

Regards
A quick search turned up California Law Prohibits the Blanket Exclusion of Underage Guests: What Hoteliers Need to Know Before Developing Age-Specific Rules – The Employer Defense Report
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That’s interesting indeed. So in theory, you could put the child as an adult in the booking and they couldn’t denied lodging.

The only rooms that would accommodate 3 in the booking are the Villa and Cottage House. So as long as the parents don’t mind spending an extra $1000 for the child (adding a 4th only adds minimal incremental costs) to book into a Villa, they can bring their children.

I have seen adult, college aged, children at Ventana so this makes sense.

Ultimately the question for parents is why would you want to bring small kids to a place where your goal is to relax and get away from children…. That is probably the biggest reason we don’t see kids there.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:18 am
eh9

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Troopers
We went in early March a few years back...pool was quite comfortable. I don't think the temp is increased in winter; it's maintained comfortable year round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.