Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We've stayed there twice but wouldn't return only because it's so far from anything and unless you like to spend all day hiking or just sitting around, there's absolutely nothing to do there. It's almost a 1 hour drive from Carmel. Also views of the ocean -- the prime reason for us to be in the Carmel/Big Sur area- are just in the distance.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by oc2005
Depends what time of day Friday -- I wouldn't think February would be as bad as summer, but if you hit out of town Friday traffic, I could see it easily adding an hour or 2+ to the drive. But traffic can surprise you (good or bad) -- the worst traffic I've ever hit on a similar route was Monterey to Carmel over a decade ago on a 4th of July weekend (which was the last 4th of July we went to Carmel), but every other trip along that route we've never had traffic like that. We have family both in the bay area and along the central coast, so do similar drives to this a fair amount and fly into all these airports and there are deals to be had on flights/cars at all of them at various times. Personally if I had an option of a non-stop to Monterey and the prices/times worked, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, but SJC, SFO, and even OAK wouldn't be bad if you time it right and it does give you a lot more flight/car options. Looking in Feb on Alaska the non-stop Friday to Monday into Monterey looks pretty ideal timing but it is only one flight a day so adds a degree of risk if something does go wrong. Or you can fly into OAK but earlier on Friday, say late morning, hopefully you'd beat most the weekend traffic and arrive at Ventana in time for lunch to maximize your time there.
I agree that in February, you probably won't encounter as much weekend getaway traffic on Fridays as you would during the summer. However, you will still have to consider the rush hour traffic on 880 from OAK down to San Jose before heading down towards Monterey Bay and Big Sur.

Originally Posted by myperks
Monday to catch an 11:45a from Oakland I would plan at least 3 hours on the road to get there. Plus rental car return, I would leave Ventana by 6am. For me it feels rushed. I would drive up to OAK area for Sunday night and cut your stay at Ventana a night. Or return to BLI on Tuesday.
For a Monday morning drive would honestly give it 3.5 hours just to be safe. You'll be traveling in the same direction all the regular commuter traffic up to San Jose, either from Gilroy/Holister area on 101 (multiple lanes but pretty heavy traffic) up to San Jose or up a windy, hilly 17 via Santa Cruz (less traffic, but it's only 2 lanes and any bad accident can essentially close the road). Once you get to San Jose, you'll take 880 up to OAK, and I swear I always hear about a backup or accident on 880 the rush hour traffic reports.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Getting There?

Hate letting a Rental Car sit idle in the parking lot for 7 nights. Yes seven nights. We’ve done it before. We are okay chilling out, hiking and and eating for a week.
Is there A car service or or Uber type service that could get us to and from SFO. Not optimistic We could get an Uber pick up in Big Sur.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
Hate letting a Rental Car sit idle in the parking lot for 7 nights. Yes seven nights. We’ve done it before. We are okay chilling out, hiking and and eating for a week.
Is there A car service or or Uber type service that could get us to and from SFO. Not optimistic We could get an Uber pick up in Big Sur.
Getting an Uber/Lyft to Ventana shouldn't be difficult... I've taken them to Monterey a handful of times from SF. I'd have the hotel arrange your return transfer, though. There was a drunk woman loudly complaining poolside (after checking out) that she couldn't get an Uber to take her to a wedding in Santa Barbara on our last visit. I think the hotel got a taxi to come down from Monterey for her eventually, but I'd feel much better having the ride arranged in advance. In all honesty though, if you're there for a week, not terrible to have a car there... the off-property hiking is a lot better than what you get walking out of the resort IMO, and then you're not at the mercy of the hotel car.
beachmiles and Tami like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We've stayed there twice but wouldn't return only because it's so far from anything and unless you like to spend all day hiking or just sitting around, there's absolutely nothing to do there. It's almost a 1 hour drive from Carmel. Also views of the ocean -- the prime reason for us to be in the Carmel/Big Sur area- are just in the distance.
We've stayed here three times and would return because it feels like a secluded escape. We enjoy spending the day hiking in Big Sur and just sitting around in some of the most beautiful land that is within a day's drive of our home. We don't see any point in going to Carmel and already live near the ocean so that's not really the attraction here for us.
Boraxo and beachmiles like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That is precisely the reason people go to the Ventana
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Indeed, and for those who want a bit of something to break up the day, Ventana offers a bunch of free and paid activities.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
That would be me
Eight time times and two more booked.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Anyone have a pic of the new dinner menu? Thought I saw it was starting a few weeks ago. Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
Anyone have a pic of the new dinner menu? Thought I saw it was starting a few weeks ago. Thanks
https://www.ventanabigsur.com/menus/
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:44 pm

+1. Love hiking and spending the day with nature. Even better when I come back and there’s food everywhere waiting for me.
beachmiles and soartoday like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:03 am
eh9

Winter

Been a few times in the summer, but first time in the winter this season.

Do they increase the pool temperature to be enjoyable or pretty much spa only?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ralphs
We've stayed here three times and would return because it feels like a secluded escape. We enjoy spending the day hiking in Big Sur and just sitting around in some of the most beautiful land that is within a day's drive of our home. We don't see any point in going to Carmel and already live near the ocean so that's not really the attraction here for us.
Interesting points - I've described this place to Mrs Adelphos, and she is somewhat concerned that there aren't really ocean views from the resort. All there seems to be to do is hike, go to the pool, and eat food, and interaction with other guests seem to be limited. Is this worth a trip for NYC based people, or are other destinations (like Alila Napa) more appropriate given there is more to do? Napa and Half Moon Bay seem much more convenient relative to San Francisco, where I would always be starting or ending a trip anyway
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Interesting points - I've described this place to Mrs Adelphos, and she is somewhat concerned that there aren't really ocean views from the resort. All there seems to be to do is hike, go to the pool, and eat food, and interaction with other guests seem to be limited. Is this worth a trip for NYC based people, or are other destinations (like Alila Napa) more appropriate given there is more to do? Napa and Half Moon Bay seem much more convenient relative to San Francisco, where I would always be starting or ending a trip anyway
Alila Napa is way better if you're looking for things to do. St Helena is fantastic. If you're NYC-based, the food is unlikely to wow you at Ventana, and unless you're planning on eating 6 meals/day (not totally unusual for this thread) and put a very high value on unlimited food, the variety of restaurants in wine country is much more interesting to me. We really like Ventana and head there a couple weekends/year, but personally, I wouldn't get on a plane to go there unless combining it with a drive down the coast through Santa Barbara/Paso Robles/etc or a trip to SF/Napa Valley. Half Moon Bay is mildly interesting for a night or 2... more than that I'd get very, very bored.
Adelphos and joecool1885 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The point of going to a place like the Ventana is to get away from things and people. It's a perfect place if you like the idea of relaxing away from everything and just enjoy sometime with each other and perhaps read a book by the pool or on the hammock.

It is not a place to go if interacting with other guests in a social setting is important, or having activities planned for you (for that I would recommend the Miraval). While the food is very good, it's also not a place to go for a culinary journey.

If having an ocean view is important, go to the Post Ranch Inn. If she is already concerned that hiking, relaxing by the pool, eating healthy food with an ocean view aren't enough to keep her busy, then it is definitely not worth the journey from NYC.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Ventana. Think of it as a mini Aman (not necessarily in terms of service, but in terms of size, uniqueness, food) that you can use points and Hyatt status.
beachmiles and Adelphos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.