Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ruxpin810
....did you mention that you're celebrating your anniversary when you checked in?
Two weeks before check-in they usually email a welcome letter that contains a link for your personal preference menu. One question on that menu is "Purpose of Visit: Quick Getaway, Birthday, Anniversary, Babymoon, Honeymoon."
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Skink
Two weeks before check-in they usually email a welcome letter that contains a link for your personal preference menu. One question on that menu is "Purpose of Visit: Quick Getaway, Birthday, Anniversary, Babymoon, Honeymoon."
thanks for the info!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ruxpin810
thanks for the info! we're currently booked in a big sur suite but been checking to see if regular rooms become available to save a bit on points and then hope for an upgrade. we will also be going for our anniversary. did you mention that you're celebrating your anniversary when you checked in?
I mentioned it in the survey they ask you to fill out approx 1 month before the stay. I'm pretty sure the upgrade was just the lowest suite level, so maybe someone else got bumped higher.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by midnightblade
Yea I'm within the 14 days (stay starts tomorrow!) otherwise I'd just cancel/rebook. Someone else must have cancelled to open up the award space since I had checked just last night and hadn't seen anything. It's also only 2 nights so maybe they're just opening it up because they have rooms available.

June 5-June 7 in case anyone else wanted to book a last minute stay.
Interesting. Not seeing anything except 90k suites for the summer dates I want (also within 14 days). Apparently those suites are still not selling.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:35 am

Just finished my stay over the weekend for 2 nights at 30k/night. Really unexpected to have a heat wave in the 90s at Ventana, so it was a much different experience than my first trip. The pools and hot baths were not as popular in the heat. I found it a great value at that price and probably would go every year for a quick getaway.

Looking forward to my next stay at a distant future but the prices are so high now. I'm counting only 39 "off-peak" dates over the next 13 months. I haven't done a full count, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that the average rate for this place is closer to way over 40,000 points now. I thought the goal of dynamic seasonal pricing was that all the dates would end up totaling the mid point (which is 40,000).
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:48 am

The was another obvious lie that everyone knew was nonsense. It was clear they were going to allow hotels like this to "high season" 80% of the year and basically let them make a super 8 category. Endless endless greed and it's cool though because (insert numerous Hyatt excuses here).
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:32 am

Anyone know what's going on with next year's availability? Suites completely dropped off the availability all of next year. Even the regular rooms, which were downgraded to just "1 King Bed" instead of the ones with fireplace, are kind of sparse for winter and weekdays.

Seems like Hyatt or Ventana is going to start playing some games. I'm guessing they needed a new strategy since the old one was probably losing Hyatt a lot, with the money going toward Ventana's high rate reimbursement.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Anyone know what's going on with next year's availability? Suites completely dropped off the availability all of next year. Even the regular rooms, which were downgraded to just "1 King Bed" instead of the ones with fireplace, are kind of sparse for winter and weekdays.

Seems like Hyatt or Ventana is going to start playing some games. I'm guessing they needed a new strategy since the old one was probably losing Hyatt a lot, with the money going toward Ventana's high rate reimbursement.
With travel rebounding, may be they want to have more paying guests instead of point redemptions
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:16 pm

It's not a very big place to begin with and it's in high demand. I made an award booking here in 2023 back in February of 2022 to find standard availability.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by antonius66
The was another obvious lie that everyone knew was nonsense. It was clear they were going to allow hotels like this to "high season" 80% of the year and basically let them make a super 8 category. Endless endless greed and it's cool though because (insert numerous Hyatt excuses here).
What was the lie?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
What was the lie?
that standard pricing was to be for the majority of the year (I would assume majority of the year is >50% of the year). Appears to not be the case for Ventana Big Sur.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by myperks
that standard pricing was to be for the majority of the year (I would assume majority of the year is >50% of the year). Appears to not be the case for Ventana Big Sur.
Did you review the entire points calendar?

https://www.hyatt.com/explore-hotels...ate=2022-08-06
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Did you review the entire points calendar?

https://www.hyatt.com/explore-hotels...ate=2022-08-06
Casually counting all non 45k dates come up to about 125 nights over the next year. So about 60%+ peak, and less than 40% standard/non peak mixed.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by myperks
Casually counting all non 45k dates come up to about 125 nights over the next year. So about 60%+ peak, and less than 40% standard/non peak mixed.
39 low season when I went through it quickly earlier this week. It’s definitely skewed towards high season.

as for availability due to demand being too high, they have never in the last two years that I’ve been tracking them, sold out their suite awards. If you look for this year, there are plenty of suites available up til end of December. Seems like something shifted in how Hyatt wants Ventana to handle points.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: All of Them
Ventana Big Sur Review
Bottom line: it's a one and done for me. It's an amazing place for nature and the hikes we went on were fantastic, but by no means is that place a 40k point or $3k per night hotel.
All boiled down to the restaurant, of which there is one to go to (well plus bbq place) and then in-room dining. Breakfast service was the worst I've had at any hotel, including Hampton Inns and Courtyards. Wait 15-20 min for a server to get coffee or tea, server disappears, maybe they come take your order, brought wrong food, can't get a coffee refill, ate yogurt with a fork two mornings in a row after I got tired of getting up to go find someone.

The best was the table next to us got the wrong food, apparently meant for the table next to them. The server finally came back 10 min later after the lady had picked at the food. Server picks it up and tries to set it down at the correct table next to them. At this point, all tables around are invested and are looking at each other like did this guy just do that? The table the food was meant for didn't speak much english and about 4 of us spoke up and told the server to go get a fresh dish for them. Every meal at the Sur House was stressful with not bad, but atrocious service. Gave up on dessert the second night after no one came back to clear plates or take dessert order 20 min after we were done with the main course.

Bar-b-que place (Closed Mon/Tues) was inedible bar-b-que. Mass produced in stainless steal kitchen. Awful. I understand you don't go to California for bbq, but if the resort has a whole restaurant dedicated to it, it should be pretty good.

Room and grounds were the highlight. Rest of the place needs a facelift. If you sit on the pool deck its this layered shale/granite stuff that comes up with you. All the grout is 1/2 inch higher than the stone because its worn down. Other annoying stuff that really made me wonder who the hell was paying this much for this place. Go for the hikes and views, but man that was disappointing. Offered 20k points at checkout for the service failures - it still hasn't show up 5 days later. Oh boy.
estnet, sfvoyage, Boraxo and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.