Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:03 pm

Keep looking

Originally Posted by chrisajoyner
Brand new to FT...I've been following for years but never signed up.

About 2 weeks ago I found 3 nights (Sept 5-8, 2022) at Ventana using 30-35k points/per night. Since then I've been trying every day to find 3 more nights. This morning I found Sept 2-5 for 35k per night and booked in an ADA room. Keep checking! As others have noted, though, nothing in March of next year. I was hoping to book before the March 22 devaluation.

that’s ridiculous. I literally have been looking everyday for a month and cannot find weekend availability. This is the one weeeknd I didn’t look for
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:32 pm

This just kills me. I mean, this place is nice and all but good lord, this is hands down the most popular Hyatt thread by a long shot and the borderline obsession with this place cracks me up. Yeah, I've been there twice and it's a great property but it isn't to agonize and obsess over. Both times I went it was after a casual check of a few dates. Never set up alerts, automated searches, daily checks of an entire year one day at a time etc. Goodness.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
This just kills me. I mean, this place is nice and all but good lord, this is hands down the most popular Hyatt thread by a long shot and the borderline obsession with this place cracks me up. Yeah, I've been there twice and it's a great property but it isn't to agonize and obsess over. Both times I went it was after a casual check of a few dates. Never set up alerts, automated searches, daily checks of an entire year one day at a time etc. Goodness.
You got lucky. Congrats.

It’s not that unusual to have to go to effort to secure a points redemption. This is one of the properties where that effort is usually justified.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@chrisajoyner Welcome to FlyerTalk.
chrisajoyner likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's been diagnosed as a new variant of Maldives Syndrome. Similar to Emirates F Shower Suite Syndrome.
nsx, estnet, martzipan and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Buckeye2604
For anybody that may be interested, there is a free night award available for tomorrow night.

I’m having the hardest time finding anything other than 70k suites well out into the year.
I am also having trouble finding award space for a standard room.

Thanks, I will keep an eye for tomorrow. Do we have any DP's on how award space is release at this property?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Its popularity builds upon its reputation of popularity.
Got two nights last-minute a month ago, had been lightly looking before then.
Somebody used the term "life-changing", and I had to wonder if this was the first time they'd been to a nice resort.
Back in 2013, the Grand Hyatt Kauai was "life-changing" to me, as it was my first taste of anything above "decent" in terms of hotels.

Comparing it just to another hotel up the road: the CVR has a greater variety of activities, is closer to amazing places like Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel, has terrific grounds (albeit not the same level of tranquility), and their base rooms are arguably a tad better, given the outdoor tub.
For 5,000 points more and an extra 40ish minute drive, all your food is included, and the pool and restaurant have a view of the Ocean.

I loved Ventana, and at the end of the day it's better than CVR (and a top 10 Hyatt, IMO). But the hype is maybe 60% legit.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Its popularity builds upon its reputation of popularity.
Got two nights last-minute a month ago, had been lightly looking before then.
Somebody used the term "life-changing", and I had to wonder if this was the first time they'd been to a nice resort.
Back in 2013, the Grand Hyatt Kauai was "life-changing" to me, as it was my first taste of anything above "decent" in terms of hotels.

Comparing it just to another hotel up the road: the CVR has a greater variety of activities, is closer to amazing places like Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel, has terrific grounds (albeit not the same level of tranquility), and their base rooms are arguably a tad better, given the outdoor tub.
For 5,000 points more and an extra 40ish minute drive, all your food is included, and the pool and restaurant have a view of the Ocean.

I loved Ventana, and at the end of the day it's better than CVR (and a top 10 Hyatt, IMO). But the hype is maybe 60% legit.
Personally I agree, but CVR isn't a consideration for me as I'm looking for a non family oriented hotel. So in this area its either Ventana on points or I pay to stay at Bernardus Lodge, post ranch is too rich for me
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by richiezc
Personally I agree, but CVR isn't a consideration for me as I'm looking for a non family oriented hotel. So in this area its either Ventana on points or I pay to stay at Bernardus Lodge, post ranch is too rich for me
I think CVR gets labeled "family oriented" too easily. Wife and I have been several times: no kids at the pool by the lobby, though I think some teens did infiltrate the hot tub. Hiking a few of the trails is pretty much kid free. We did the beekeeping tour, and were the only ones there (though I imagine that's a crapshoot). Dinners were pretty tame, don't recall kids being a nuisance.
We did happen down to the main pool once (which is ironic, because it's far from the main lobby/center of the resort), and that place was a zoo.

We've been there several times as a couple and didnt feel kids took away from the ambience. Maybe we've just been lucky there, though.

Meanwhile, the sole visit to Ventana involved a barking and pacing dog in the room above us.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
It's been diagnosed as a new variant of Maldives Syndrome. Similar to Emirates F Shower Suite Syndrome.
I'd say one defining difference is that it's much more accessible. For millions of people it's only a reasonable drive away. For a large chunk of the US it's only a domestic flight away. Maldives requires a lot more commitment - I'm still working on convincing P2 it's worth going there.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by martzipan
I'd say one defining difference is that it's much more accessible. For millions of people it's only a reasonable drive away. For a large chunk of the US it's only a domestic flight away. Maldives requires a lot more commitment - I'm still working on convincing P2 it's worth going there.
Especially for parents who want a quick getaway. Doubly so for parents of really young ones. Flying half way around the world is not worth it to get the same level of tranquility and service or for a weekend/2-night escape.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Especially for parents who want a quick getaway. Doubly so for parents of really young ones. Flying half way around the world is not worth it to get the same level of tranquility and service or for a weekend/2-night escape.
Maybe things have changed but it's not "level of service". I think people have mentioned before service is not befitting such an expensive place.
I'd say its benefit is location (good, unless there are fires, then horrid) and the all-inclusive aspect, as there are simply no all-inclusives in the US other than Miraval (which is more than double points if you have 2 people).
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I agree that the obsession with the resort is funny — I tend to use it as a sort of expensive (as far as points go) impulse travel option as I live in SF. I've done a few straight-suite bookings (easier to find, and 60k points is worth it to me). I think it's a pretty alright experience. Big Sur is incredible, and the resort is nice. Would I fly here to go there? Absolutely not.

Big Sur and its nature, on the other hand, are very nice. I hope those that stay here take advantage of more than just the resort; go to the redwoods, the coast, the beaches. If you can, explore vast redwood groves further north and see the wilderness with an extended hike or two if you are physically capable. The treasure of Northern California is wilderness and nature unlike anywhere else on Earth.
ps9a, joecool1885 and martzipan like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Maybe things have changed but it's not "level of service". I think people have mentioned before service is not befitting such an expensive place.
I'd say its benefit is location (good, unless there are fires, then horrid) and the all-inclusive aspect, as there are simply no all-inclusives in the US other than Miraval (which is more than double points if you have 2 people).
Like most things in California, you're paying for location, not what's built on that location.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Like most things in California, you're paying for location, not what's built on that location.
To be honest, the way some really average, if not mediocre hotels in various American cities are routinely charging $300-$400 a night after taxes and fees, it’s hardly just a California problem.
estnet and olouie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.