Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:50 pm

Without the food, this is FAR from the best redemption in the system. It is a nice enough property but hardly leagues better than other places at 30k points. The absurd room prices they charge does not make it a good value for points, especially if you take out the free food.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
Without the food, this is FAR from the best redemption in the system. It is a nice enough property but hardly leagues better than other places at 30k points. The absurd room prices they charge does not make it a good value for points, especially if you take out the free food.
Even without the food it’s still a very good Cat 7 redemption. It’s a nice property in an area with limited other options and those other options are generally $$$$$. It’s someplace you go to for the area and not solely because you want to stay in a nice hotel (although that doesn’t hurt).
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ralphs
Update: another FT member and I coordinated over text to so that he could book it the minute after I cancelled. It doesn't appear to have gone back into inventory
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Makes sense. They are overbooking standard rooms then moving people to higher categories. Canceling the reservation means they probably still have a negative number of rooms and would require somebody to manually reopen the inventory.
Also something weird going on with that particular check in date. Keeping check out date the same, there seems to be availability to check in the day before and after. Could also be some kind of housekeeping constraint? Can't think of what else it might be that would limit check in numbers like that
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Can't help but ask — what's the best?
I would say Al Maha. But Ventana is very close. I will definately come back to Ventana.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'm intrigued by the property, but would most likely end up only spending a single night here (using 60K points for a premium suite).
I've stayed at CVR, Highlands Inn, and Regency. They all have pros and cons, but I generally enjoy my stays at them. What is it that distinguishes this property? Rooms look decent enough, but they don't appear to be what makes the property. Is it the food? The personal touches? Activites?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I'm intrigued by the property, but would most likely end up only spending a single night here (using 60K points for a premium suite).
I've stayed at CVR, Highlands Inn, and Regency. They all have pros and cons, but I generally enjoy my stays at them. What is it that distinguishes this property? Rooms look decent enough, but they don't appear to be what makes the property. Is it the food? The personal touches? Activites?
Solitude.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's a very quiet property. I'm pretty certain it was full when we were there, but we literally didn't see other people except at the pool (maybe 10 people total in 3 hours), and at meals. Somehow we never had to wait for the hot tub or Japanese baths even though we used them several times. Most rooms have balconies with either ocean views (fog permitting) or back up directly to the redwoods. It's just one of the few luxury hotels in this sort of setting.

Honestly the food is good but not great, on average. The staff is good not great, at least when we were there April 2021. It could be even better, for certain, and when you see the rates they charge you expect "best in class" on these fronts. I'd say use that to temper your expectations overall, but it's still a great property for being in the Hyatt catalog and with the stellar redemption rate that brings. The property has been there for a long time and has some prestige in the area for that history; I get the impression it used to be more of a spiritual experience, and has mostly been over taken by yuppies and boomers as you might expect.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:08 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It is the location, and a place to just relax with nature. Count me in as part of the group that wasn’t too impressed with the property. If you are a Hyatt loyalty member, it’s worth it. If I wasn’t a Hyatt loyalty member, the prices they ask for the rooms and the hard/soft product you get is underwhelming.

Cons: The hard product is old. I felt like the staff were just so mechanical due to the constant turn over of guests, and no real warm humanistic feeling to this property (although people are nice). Most staff there just try to get the job done, but is missing the genuine friendliness you get at Maldivian or Fijian resorts. Food is decent, just don’t expect extraordinary. My overall feeling is that this place is overhyped due to the cash rates that they charge. I was intrigued by the hype, and a glad I just used points for the hot tub vista suite. I would be disappointed had I paid cash for this property.

Pros: Great location to explore state parks. Great vistas and sunsets to be had.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The location is completely different. Check out the map.

The facilities, including pools and restaurant with terrace, are also very very nice. And it's adults only which makes a substantial difference in atmosphere.
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
My overall feeling is that this place is overhyped due to the cash rates that they charge..
It's the proximity to the Bay Area and the valley that drives the rates. Post Ranch isn't worth what they charge, nor are the high-end places in Napa. But you have a tremendous concentration of wealth within a 2 hour drive and that leads to stratospheric rates.

The location is also unique. Many people consider Big Sur one of the most beautiful places in the world. (I wouldn't go that far, but it can be spectacular.)
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:14 pm

Got auto upgraded on 2 night award stay to a Pacific house suite. It was changed and showed in the app as such on arrival day.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
Got auto upgraded on 2 night award stay to a Pacific house suite. It was changed and showed in the app as such on arrival day.
Are you a globalist or other status? Did the upgrade only show the day of checkin or earlier? I'm an explorist staying 3 nights next week with my fingers crossed for an upgrade.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have seen that before but found that the room was different when I arrived at the hotel. I think the app is making a suggestion that the hotel is free to change.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:18 pm

Glob and it is the room i received.
whitecastle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by nsx
I have seen that before but found that the room was different when I arrived at the hotel. I think the app is making a suggestion that the hotel is free to change.
IME, if the app is showing you a different room type that means someone at the hotel as pre-assigned you into that room (not simply the app making a suggestion). There's no guarantee that won't change until you are actually checked-in at the property. For example, if they upgrade you a few days ahead of time and then decide they need the room for someone else.

-FlyerBeek
jona970318 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:37 am

I got back from my Baby Moon here last week. Spent 60k a night for a Forest Shower suite. I feel I agree with a lot of the previous comments in here. Food and Service is good but not great. So many other properties would charge you $40 a day to park (Hello Andaz Maui) but that is included here. Drinks will definitely add up if you're not careful.

I saw someone mentioned that the service seemed "mechanical" which is the exact comment I made when my wife and I were out to dinner at the Fernwood Tavern down Hwy 1 when having a pleasant conversation with a server at the Tavern. They are not incredibly personable like you get at some other properties (specifically some SE Asia properties I've stayed at). They did go out of their way to provide us upon arrival two Onesies in our room as we are expecting twins(!).

I think the real ROI you get at this property is location, solitude, and base camp to a lot of outdoor activities nearby. Half of the time we were the only people in the hot tub or Japanese baths. The other guests are respectful and quiet. I haven't done a ton of travel in the last two years but the text messaging system is awesome.

To conclude, I would definitely come back. There is so much to see in Big Sur and you can't beat the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.