Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 13, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Kman0010
I just wanted to add my notes from my recent stay last week. I did a three night stay as a globalist using points. We rented a Toyota Fortuner from MCT and drove to the resort immediately after landing. The drive on Highway 15 was fine but there was some construction along the way. I did not see many people use turn signals. Our Fortuner did fine up the mountain past the checkpoint but was not as powerful as I expected. There is enough space on the road up to go slow and allow yourself to be passed if you get timid on the switchbacks. There was a portion of the mountain road near the resort where temporary barriers have been installed along the road edges and in several spots the temporary barriers have fallen.

I used a TSU to confirm into the terrace suite. I thought the room was lovely and the bed was comfortable. The bug spray and sunscreen bottles on the terrace were a nice touch. The only thing that was slightly annoying is that our room attendant would knock on the door around 8PM every night to check if we needed towels or anything else. I appreciate the concern but somehow we were always napping (jetlag ugh) when this happened so I had to jump out of bed to answer the door.

Breakfast was plentiful with a variety of dishes that were given in addition to your breakfast order. I liked that you could order both an egg dish and a pancake/french toast dish. Egg dishes were OK. Avoid the pancakes and go for the french toast. We had dinner one night at the Rose Lounge outside. Service was slow. Our other dinner in the Juniper was great and I really liked the variety of dishes on the menu. Pool service during the day was excellent. The cabanas are first come-first serve and are nice places to relax. Note that both the outdoor and indoor pool close at 7PM so don't expect to swim at night. I knew this coming in but food and beverage are EXPENSIVE which makes sense for a resort on top of a mountain.

We did not pay for any extra excursions which was likely a mistake on my part. We did do the on-property hike which was a great easy hour hike.I thought the gym was great and well equipped. Weird nitpick but the gym had large glass bottles of water but no individual glasses. The gym windows look out toward the pool so the treadmills have a nice view during the sunrise. Overall it was a great stay. The pictures do not do it justice.
Thanks for the review!

Few questions if I may.
1) Did they still knock even if you put on the Do Not Disturb door hanger (which I assume they have)?
2) Favorite dishes at Juniper?
3) If you were to redo, what activities would you have done?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by onetouchpass
Thanks for the review!

Few questions if I may.
1) Did they still knock even if you put on the Do Not Disturb door hanger (which I assume they have)?
2) Favorite dishes at Juniper?
3) If you were to redo, what activities would you have done?
1. - They have a red fabric door hanger which is what I assume is for DNR. I forgot to put it out.
2. - For dinner I had an Andalusian chicken dish while my partner had the steak. They have a lobster soup on the menu that is also really good but I was unfortunately not that hungry for a soup course.
3. - If you are adventurous, I would do the Cave Adventure Via Ferrata. You can see the climbing wires from the fence above and it looked like it would be a fun experience. It costs OMR 65 per guest. I have also been told there is a "Mirage in the Mountains" hike or trail that is near the Resort but we did not have time to partake.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Kman0010
1. - They have a red fabric door hanger which is what I assume is for DNR. I forgot to put it out.
2. - For dinner I had an Andalusian chicken dish while my partner had the steak. They have a lobster soup on the menu that is also really good but I was unfortunately not that hungry for a soup course.
3. - If you are adventurous, I would do the Cave Adventure Via Ferrata. You can see the climbing wires from the fence above and it looked like it would be a fun experience. It costs OMR 65 per guest. I have also been told there is a "Mirage in the Mountains" hike or trail that is near the Resort but we did not have time to partake.
Thanks, I'm in midst of comparing options for activities now for a stay soon
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
I just finished a 3 night stay, 2 nights booked on points, 1 night booked through Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts. I’m a Globalist, but breakfast is included for all stays. Even though I arrived very early in the morning, just after 7 AM, my room was ready (much appreciated for a quick nap!). As a welcome amenity, I received a tray of sweets and a large fruit basket. I received an upgrade to a Terrace Suite, which had a huge outdoor space with a day bed, 2 lounge chairs, and a table with chairs in addition to the separate balcony with a couch and table. There were Alila branded bottles of sunscreen, aftersun gel, and cooling face mist on a tray by the lounge chairs; this was a nice touch along with the insect repellent in the bathroom (however insects weren’t an issue at all during my stay). There were pilates mats in the walk-in closet, perfect for a workout on the terrace. There were plenty of glass bottles of filtered water in the room, but be sure to bring a reusable bottle if you like to carry water around.

Breakfast is a la carte, with several small dishes brought out to all tables (a bread and pastry basket with butter and homemade spreads, fresh fruit, smoked salmon with horseradish, and cheeses and meats. 1 savory and 1 sweet option per person from the a la carte menu was included. Coffees and fresh juices were also available.

I tried Juniper Restaurant and Rose Lounge for dinners and personally preferred the lounge menu. The lounge has happy hour from 5-6 PM daily with a selection of half priced drinks; I was offered the happy hour special even though I didn't order until a few minutes after 6. Sunset at the lounge is absolutely spectacular. The staff proactively brings out heaters and blankets if it’s chilly. The menus are not particularly large and could become monotonous for longer stays (especially as a vegetarian), but everything I ordered was tasty and well-prepared.

I used the hotels transfer service from the airport and then back to Muscat. It was pricey, but once again service was wonderful with water, blankets, pillows, and eyeshades provided for my very early morning airport pick-up. During both rides the drivers made a surprise stop during the journey to get me chai karak and Omani snacks. I also booked the Via Ferrata experience through the hotel which I enjoyed.

I found the staff extremely friendly and service to be excellent. In most cases, the staff was proactive, anticipating guest needs. For example the staff asked for my room number at dinner so they could provide turn down service while I was out. Truly my only disappointment was that the front desk couldn’t make change for the 50 OMR bill I received from the airport ATM; I requested change on 2 different days so I don’t think this was an isolated problem and I don’t think this was an unrealistic request in such a remote location.

Overall I had an amazing stay in a beautiful location and I’d return in a heartbeat!

ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 6:48 pm

Hello, I took a trip to this hotel last year and I really liked the blankets available in the rooms. I wanted one for my home, but could not find anything close in stores. The tag read “Emerald Oman 180*200cm” and the hotel staff provided contact info for the supplier, but google hasn’t helped me find the blanket and the supplier has been unresponsive. Throwing a Hail Mary here in case someone else has been able to track this down. Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:31 pm

Stayed at Alila Jabhal Akdar in summer with 15 degrees cooler rate. Really the temperature level in the mountains is 15 or more degrees cooler. So you can visit this Hyatt also during the hot summer. Received a Globalist upgrade to a Jabal Terrace Room/Suite. Really liked the hotel and its an amazing Hyatt hotel.

Here the Jabal Terrace room/suite:

Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:11 am

Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap car rental agency that can guarantee a 4WD? What sort of rate should we expect to pay? I am only finding OMR 25-30/day ($65) which seems quite expensive. Have also asked the hotel if AWD will work or if we need 4WD.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I previously posted in regards to using ASA Al Sharqiya Aviation Helicopter service to/from Alila Jabal Akhdar. I want to amend my previous post from what was then a strong recommendation to now a "Oh hell no" I'm never using that company. Rates have tripled due to their monopoly on helicopter service. Wanted nearly $6000 for a one-way ride. That's $6000 for a 40 minute hop. Complete and utter financial rape. Just take the hotel SUV, or drive.

We are just wrapping up another stay here at Alila Jabal Akhdar, 13 days in a Villa no less. Utterly awesome, could not be more happy with the experience. Hitting Lifetime Globalist with this stay, sweeeeet! A true jewel in the Hyatt chain.
antonius66 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Has anyone paired a stay here with a desert camp they can recommend?

Someone above mentioned all rates include breakfast, does that include non-globalist points stays?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Has anyone paired a stay here with a desert camp they can recommend?

Someone above mentioned all rates include breakfast, does that include non-globalist points stays?
Al Maha for me would be the best in the region.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by synd
Al Maha for me would be the best in the region.
That involves a longer drive and crossing a border though, not sure I'm into that. I've booked us at Desert Nights Camp for now.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Booked a stay this month and the hotel wrote me in a confirmation email that I would receive an "upgrade to the next category available and late checkout upon availability", in place of a Suite upgrade and guaranteed late checkout. Has anyone had issues in the past with Globalist benefits? Any special rooms/locations I should ask for?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This is a resort property, so late checkout is not guaranteed.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by llb09
Booked a stay this month and the hotel wrote me in a confirmation email that I would receive an "upgrade to the next category available and late checkout upon availability", in place of a Suite upgrade and guaranteed late checkout. Has anyone had issues in the past with Globalist benefits? Any special rooms/locations I should ask for?
I stayed there last month and, as a Globalist, was upgraded to a standard room with a better view in spite of suites being available. While I was disappointed with their policy, the view is spectacular.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Does the property actually have a policy, either in writing or spoken by a staff member, to not upgrade Globalists to a standard suite (the Jabal Terrace IIRC) on a space-available basis at check-in? If so, those who have been victimized by this bogus policy should file a complaint to Hyatt corporate. Whether they do anything is another story, but we customers should do our part in holding rogue properties accountable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.