Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:27 am

Is there a nearby COVID testing facility, or testing offered on-site? I have a 10pm departure from MCT on day-of checkout, and have found little information regarding testing access outside of what's available at airport.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by tim.hooker
Is there a nearby COVID testing facility, or testing offered on-site? I have a 10pm departure from MCT on day-of checkout, and have found little information regarding testing access outside of what's available at airport.
As we always do, we brought along Abbott BiNax Now tests and self-tested in the comfort of our Villa. So easy and simple and unquestioned at our Qatar flight check-in. I did not ask the property what other options existed, however I would guess they would bring tests to Muscat during a scheduled passenger transit they had that day.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I had inquired with the hotel prior to my stay in early December and they informed me the closest clinic where samples can be taken is called Badr Al Samaa located in Nizwa City, which is approximately a 1 hour drive from the resort. I was only there for two nights, so ended up just getting a PCR at the MCT airport testing site prior to driving up there.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by serchjos
I had inquired with the hotel prior to my stay in early December and they informed me the closest clinic where samples can be taken is called Badr Al Samaa located in Nizwa City, which is approximately a 1 hour drive from the resort. I was only there for two nights, so ended up just getting a PCR at the MCT airport testing site prior to driving up there.
That's interesting. Nizwa is one of the common day trip destinations to see the fort and market. Conceivably combine an excursion with test although no idea what their turnaround time would be?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:16 am

Visited a couple months back for a 3-night stay. The F&B was quite disappointing, which was a surprise compared to my previous visit - they have one menu across all restaurants and room service, so you will very quickly run out of things you want to eat. It got really dull. And the service in the restaurant generally, but particularly during breakfast, was a huge mess. It seemed that they had a significant intake of new hires and only one or two who were competent.

Even worse, when I mentioned this to the new-ish Director of F&B and gave the example of the excellent Nasi Goreng I had on my previous visit, rather than take the easy answer of "Let us bear that in mind for the next menu" or similar, he was downright dismissive, saying "It's not the way we are going. It's not an Asian restaurant."

A sharp contrast to the Alila Hinu Bay where the chefs were happy to whip up something off menu based on the fresh seafood of the day and only charge for a modest equivalent dish on the menu - a most pleasant surprise.

The rest of the resort and the experience was delightful as usual, and I was upgraded to a Jabal Terrace on the ridge view side which had a very nice terrace big enough to host 4-6 people easily.

In terms of the PCR test:
  • The nearest hospital is "Al Nile Medical Center", in the nearest village at the base of the mountain. They are closed on Fridays.
  • I had my own car to drive there and back so I'm not sure how much the hotel would have charged for that journey.
  • The turnaround time was 24h from sample collection.
  • It was more of a village clinic so communication took some effort and it was not a particularly efficient process to register for the test.
  • You need your passport to register for the test. Make sure you double check that they have your name correct, as they omitted my last name and it was a headache to solve.
  • Allow at least 1h to collect the PCR test result if you're doing so on your way to the airport, as it took them ages to do the Covid certificate on the special Oman government paper, which they can only do when you get there to collect it. We nearly missed our flight because of the unexpected delay.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.

Last edited by stargold; Jan 5, 2022 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by stargold

In terms of the PCR test:
  • The nearest hospital is "Al Nile Medical Center", in the nearest village at the base of the mountain. They are closed on Fridays.
  • I had my own car to drive there and back so I'm not sure how much the hotel would have charged for that journey.
  • The turnaround time was 24h from sample collection.
  • It was more of a village clinic so communication took some effort and it was not a particularly efficient process to register for the test.
  • You need your passport to register for the test. Make sure you double check that they have your name correct, as they omitted my last name and it was a headache to solve.
  • Allow at least 1h to collect the PCR test result if you're doing so on your way to the airport, as it took them ages to do the Covid certificate on the special Oman government paper, which they can only do when you get there to collect it. We nearly missed our flight because of the unexpected delay.
What was the price associated to the test, if I may ask?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:24 am

I think it was OMR 19 in total, OMR 14 at the time of the test and OMR 5 at test results collection.
illico likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IHG plat, GHA Black, HH Gold
I think it was OMR 19 in total, OMR 14 at the time of the test and OMR 5 at test results collection.
The 5 OMR is for the ministry of health (MOH) stamp, but for 99% of the countries it is not a requirement.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ
Visited a couple months back for a 3-night stay. The F&B was quite disappointing....
This worries me, and I have seen many negative comments about F&B on Tripadvisor recently. However @LoungeLizardHugo suggests there may be a new menu soon. In the meantime, can someone who has been there recently confirm whether this is the current (and only) menu:

https://www.hyattrestaurants.com/en/...a-jabal-akhdar

They seem to be covering far too many cuisines and food styles in the 28 items in the A La Carte section of the menu. I can see how you would easily get bored.

Last edited by minz56; Jan 5, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:31 am

We are here through Saturday, and can confirm this is the only available menu.
minz56 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:33 am

They also offer the option of on-site PCR testing -- which is coordinated with the local facility. However, it's a whopping OMR 70 per person !!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:39 am

They didn't have this previously but obviously realised that it makes sense to offer on-site testing - shame that it's so expensive.

However, if you're two people without your own car and therefore reliant on the hotel transportation, then the price is sort of similar in the end because I believe the hotel transfer to the base of the mountain is roughly 50 OMR per one way, so you're paying something around 1400 OMR per couple either way.

Having just written the above, it also struck me that there's no reason why anyone beyond the first person needs to be charged at the same price, since much of the price is presumably the time and cost of getting up to the resort. It would have been much more reasonable to charge 70 OMR for the first person, and then additional people at 20 OMR or so. Or even better, the hotel could have just organised one testing slot per day as a service and charge a modest uplift.

Last edited by stargold; Jan 6, 2022 at 5:45 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Alila Jabal Akhdar (Oman) = Breathtaking Location in Mountain Desert

Alila Jabal Akhdar

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Alila Jabal Akhdar

Plot No 4, Al Roose, Jabal Al Akhdar Nizwa, OM

Alila Jabal Akhdar (Oman) = Breathtaking Location in Mountain Desert (49 Photos)

Alila Jabal Akhdar

I recently stayed at Alila Jabal Akhdar which is one of the most unique resorts I have ever stayed at and can provide an unforgettable experience in ways that other more standard resorts cannot.  Alila was not perfect but for me those issues were being dwarfed by the rest.

First of all the resort is special not only because of its location but because of how you can get there.  Rather than rent a car or hire a driver for the 2.5-hour journey up the mountain, I used the services of Al Sharqiya Aviation for the 40-minute helicopter flight from Muscat to Alila.  While not directly related to Alila, the service I received from ASA was great from start to finish including the booking and advance preparation for the flight including flexibility with a last minute time change I requested for the departure flight.  ASA has a choice of H125 or H145 choppers and even offers door to door service from some hotels in Muscat, for example pick-up directly from Al Bustan Palace (Ritz Carlton) was possible as it has a landing spot there.  Alternatively, clients can travel to ASA’s hangar for takeoff.  

I have travelled by almost all possible ways of transportation to various hotels but helicopter was missing for me and Alila was the perfect opportunity to make an arrival in style.  Upon arriving at Alila the scenery was absolutely breathtaking with the resort sitting at the edge of a cliff on two sides and the helicopter circled the area so that we could have a perfect 360-degree view – the pictures don’t even do justice.  I have to stay, arriving to an island resort in the Maldives via seaplane is a great experience, but a private helicopter flight to Alila takes the cake.  

IMG_0149.jpegIMG_0154.jpegIMG_0159.jpeg

Check In

Upon arriving to the resort, Alila staff came to pick us up at the landing spot on Alila’s grounds for the short drive to our room.  Perhaps guests arriving by helicopter at Alila is less common than I expected (?), but the way the check-in was done was quite different than a standard hotel arrival.  Not only we were dropped off immediately to our room, but they did not bother us with paperwork, ID, or credit card requests – they left us in full privacy and assumed we were the guests they were expecting.  I guess if we were celebrities or royalty such treatment would be highly desirable but since we are normal down to earth people it felt very different than a standard hotel arrival, and I could see some hotel guests might feel like the service delivery was reactive rather than proactive because if we needed information about the resort we had to subsequently ask for it.  I guess it’s a delicate balance for the hotel to provide immediate privacy to guests that demand it, and possibly if we had arrived by car the check-in process would have been different.

Common Areas

As we could see from our flight, it is amazing that they could build a resort at this particular spot in the mountains – the location could not be more isolated at the far end of a road 2,000 meters above sea level and without much anywhere near Alila.  I do not recall being in a resort so quiet before, in part because there were not many guests, but also because beach resorts often have sea noise, resorts in forests have wind and trees, many resorts have lots of animals nearby… but at Alila it was often dead silence, day or night.

The hotel grounds were well-maintained and many common areas were designed to take maximum advantage of the location such as movie night on the edge of the cliff or massage tables on the extreme tip of the resort.  The view from the swimming pool was not bad either, and for the colder months they also have an indoor pool.  Where Alila might lack compared to Anantara (which is in a less exclusive location than Alila), is that Anantara has many villas with a private pool whereas at Alila only the top room category (2 villas I think) have a private pool.

There are hiking trails around the resort with some activities to keep guests occupied in the event that they don’t want to simply relax by the pool to get some sun.  Also the hotel grows its own veggies in the organic farm on the resort. 

IMG_0307.jpegIMG_0308.jpegIMG_0313.jpeg1_IMG_0314.jpeg1_IMG_0315.jpegIMG_0316.jpegIMG_0317.jpeg1_IMG_0327.jpegIMG_0329.jpegIMG_0335.jpegIMG_0340.jpegIMG_0341.jpegIMG_0342.jpeg1_IMG_0353.jpegIMG_0390.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room and used a Globalist Suite Award which upgrades to the “Jabal Terrace” room type.  The room was not a proper suite because there was no separate living room, however the bathroom was huge, and the outdoor space even bigger.  There was a small terrace in front of the bathroom, and on the other side, a very spacious terrace outside the bedroom with sun lounging chairs and a dining table.  

If I had one criticism of our room it would be that internet was very weak and at times unusable from the main terrace so it took away part of the enjoyment because it required me to sometimes sit at the smaller terrace with lesser views instead.

IMG_0173.jpegIMG_0175.jpegIMG_0179.jpegIMG_0182.jpegIMG_0183.jpegIMG_0184.jpegIMG_0185.jpegIMG_0186.jpegIMG_0188.jpegIMG_0189.jpegIMG_0190.jpegIMG_0195.jpegIMG_0196.jpegIMG_0253.jpeg1_IMG_0289.jpeg1_IMG_0304.jpegIMG_0305.jpeg

Dining

Since I booked with points, the stay was not all-inclusive although I had free breakfast as Globalist.  The breakfast was quite good in my opinion, entirely a la carte with a decent selection and we especially enjoyed the vegetarian dish of the day which was often a spicy Indian aloo dish.  The dinner menu at Rose Lounge was the same as for room service and was less impressive, however unlike previous reports on FT it was not the only dinner menu.  The menu at the Juniper restaurant was not bad, however all in all dining was not as “wow” as the location of the hotel itself and guests are captive on the resort so there is no alternative.  We found fine dining far more luxurious during our stay at Al Bustan Palace in Muscat prior to coming to Alila.  

1_IMG_0294.jpeg1_IMG_0295.jpeg1_IMG_0300.jpeg1_IMG_0301.jpeg1_IMG_0303.jpegIMG_0312.jpeg1_IMG_0354.jpeg1_IMG_0355.jpegIMG_0358.jpegIMG_0359.jpegIMG_0360.jpegIMG_0361.jpeg1_IMG_0362.jpeg1_IMG_0363.jpeg

Overall

Overall I think if Alila had more stand-alone villas, more room types with a private pool, and better dining, it would be even more attractive.  Nonetheless, Alila can provide a once in a lifetime experience and deserves a spot on the bucket list of a number of experienced travelers; adding the helicopter flight with elite personalized service was cherry on top for an unforgettable hotel stay.

Alila Jabal Akhdar (Oman) = Breathtaking Location in Mountain Desert

Would you like to write a review on the Alila Jabal Akhdar?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction I recently stayed at Alila Jabal Akhdar which is one of the most unique resorts I have ever stayed at and can provide an unforgettable experience in ways that other more standard resorts cannot. Alila was not perfect but for me those issues were being dwarfed by the rest. Location First of all the resort is special not only because of its location but because of how you can get there. Rather than rent a car or hire a driver for the 2.5-hour journey up the mountain, I used the services of Al Sharqiya Aviation for the 40-minute helicopter flight from Muscat to Alila. While not directly related to Alila, the service I received from ASA was great from start to finish including the booking and advance preparation for the flight including flexibility with a last minute time change I requested for the departure flight. ASA has a choice of H125 or H145 choppers and even offers door to door service from some hotels in Muscat, for example pick-up directly from Al Bustan Palace (Ritz Carlton) was possible as it has a landing spot there. Alternatively, clients can travel to ASA's hangar for takeoff.

Check In Upon arriving to the resort, Alila staff came to pick us up at the landing spot on Alila's grounds for the short drive to our room. Perhaps guests arriving by helicopter at Alila is less common than I expected (?), but the way the check-in was done was quite different than a standard hotel arrival. Not only we were dropped off immediately to our room, but they did not bother us with paperwork, ID, or credit card requests – they left us in full privacy and assumed we were the guests they were expecting.

Room I booked the entry level room and used a Globalist Suite Award which upgrades to the Jabal Terrace room type. The room was not a proper suite because there was no separate living room, however the bathroom was huge, and the outdoor space even bigger. There was a small terrace in front of the bathroom, and on the other side, a very spacious terrace outside the bedroom with sun lounging chairs and a dining table. If I had one criticism of our room it would be that internet was very weak and at times unusable from the main terrace so it took away part of the enjoyment because it required me to sometimes sit at the smaller terrace with lesser views instead.

Dining Since I booked with points, the stay was not all-inclusive although I had free breakfast as Globalist. The breakfast was quite good in my opinion, entirely a la carte with a decent selection and we especially enjoyed the vegetarian dish of the day which was often a spicy Indian aloo dish. The dinner menu at Rose Lounge was the same as for room service and was less impressive, however unlike previous reports on FT it was not the only dinner menu.
Awesome review and photos!

ASA is First Class in every regard. Mr. Adam S&M manager, Pilot Mr. Riyadh, and the whole team are great. We were back to OM last week to stay in Muscat and booked a Sunset "Cruise" with them on the 125 - fantastic! Begged a polo from them because I liked the Omani flag on it.

We were dropped directly off in the Villa after chopper arrival as well, where we were presented with the usual arrival offering

Jabal Terrace room is a unique layout, you described it well and your photos captured the layout. If a person likes outside deck/terrace areas, well appointed, you'll love it. We had the same weak WiFi issue as you did when out on deck, first-world problems.

The property has not been all-inclusive for several years. We definitely paid for meals except breakfast (Globalist) on our stay in Dec.

That is the same "old" dinner menu, unfortunately

"one of the most unique resorts I have ever stayed at and can provide an unforgettable experience in ways that other more standard resorts cannot" Succinctly stated, wholeheartedly agree, we can't wait to go back.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Awesome review and photos!

ASA is First Class in every regard. Mr. Adam S&M manager, Pilot Mr. Riyadh, and the whole team are great. We were back to OM last week to stay in Muscat and booked a Sunset "Cruise" with them on the 125 - fantastic! Begged a polo from them because I liked the Omani flag on it.

We were dropped directly off in the Villa after chopper arrival as well, where we were presented with the usual arrival offering

Jabal Terrace room is a unique layout, you described it well and your photos captured the layout. If a person likes outside deck/terrace areas, well appointed, you'll love it. We had the same weak WiFi issue as you did when out on deck, first-world problems.

The property has not been all-inclusive for several years. We definitely paid for meals except breakfast (Globalist) on our stay in Dec.

That is the same "old" dinner menu, unfortunately

"one of the most unique resorts I have ever stayed at and can provide an unforgettable experience in ways that other more standard resorts cannot" Succinctly stated, wholeheartedly agree, we can't wait to go back.
Regarding ASA, they asked me how they could improve their service or if I had constructive criticism. Frankly when I write hotel reviews, there is always something I can think of because no hotel is perfect. But for ASA I truly had nothing negative to tell them as room for improvement!

My bad about Alila not being all-inclusive for cash rates. I thought had I booked cash (instead of points) I was going to get free dinner. Since it's not the case, then points redemptions are better than I previously assumed.

Regarding the dinner menu, my comment was directed to the comments from a couple different posters, one of which wrote:
can confirm this is the only available menu.
The menu being referred to was the room service menu + Rose Lounge. It is not entirely correct that it's the only dinner menu, the second choice is Juniper which I took pictures of, and cannot be found on the Hyatt website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.