Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I live in Oman and we go up to Alila occasionally (renting a 4x4 from the airport) its not that easy nor that hard but you MUST have a 4x4 to get up there..You can also drive to the base and get a 4x4 to take you up the mountain which might be more cost effective.
Yes, good point to bring out, I forgot about 4x4 requirement. The is actually a police checkpoint that will not let you pass without 4x4, so a must-have.

I'll mention this 4x4 requirement is not because you are on a two-track rutted dirt trail, it's because of pronounced elevation changes, steep hills, and *very* curvy road. The road itself is shockingly good and well maintained with street lamp lighting even though you are in a completely undeveloped area. I've never seen anything like it in the USA. Also, the road is not that much different from some mountain passes in the USA (in the summer) in regards to elevation change/curves, which are perfectly negotiable without 4x4, so a bit odd for me and what I am used to in regards to 4x4 which we only need in inclement weather.

The access road is part of the overall adventure and charm of the property, personally I'd like to rent a Porsche if possible the next time I go there
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
LoungeLizardHugo We stayed there for 3 nights a few days before christmas. We loved the property, and really enjoyed our trip there. But you mentionned getting treated exeptionally well as a globalist.
I really didnt't feel that at all, from no recognition, or getting no upgrade at all while rooms were available, to not being able to confirm a late check out (3pm) until 8pm the night before. It didn't matter much in the end, but still felt meh about globalist treatment. Especially knowing that a few months back they were a GHA property and those will give a 6pm checkout automatically to blacks on check in.
Other than that the property is one of a kind and was lovely.

Breakfast was the main downside imo, not bad, but far from what I tend to expect from such a property. They didn't seem to have juices.... a few smoothies / mixes but no fresh OJ / watermelon, etc...
Diner menu change every night, which is nice, except for the dessert page. There was some incredible dishes there and a few not so much. But all in all good quality f&b.

We were lucky enough to encounter on several occasion a former soccer superstar and his family, that were staying at the resort.

Regarding excursions: Nizwa cattle market on fridays morning is a Must imo! , so was the three village walk / rose & agriculture terraces in the mountain. We got a local guide who was amazing and better to any other guide we had in Oman imo. PM me if you want contact info.

I first tried to book excursions through the hotel, but among other things we wanted to go see the Beehives tumbs at Al Ain, not far from Al Hamra & Balha & Nizwa. But after 4 back and forth emails I gave up as they kept sending me back to their organized tour excursions pdf which did not include some of the sights we wanted to see...
SanDiego1K and escape4 like this.

Last edited by synd; Jan 6, 2020 at 9:48 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by synd
LoungeLizardHugo We stayed there for 3 nights a few days before christmas. We loved the property, and really enjoyed our trip there. But you mentionned getting treated exeptionally well as a globalist.
I really didnt't feel that at all, from no recognition, or getting no upgrade at all while rooms were available, to not being able to confirm a late check out (3pm) until 8pm the night before. It didn't matter much in the end, but still felt meh about globalist treatment. Especially knowing that a few months back they were a GHA property and those will give a 6pm checkout automatically to blacks on check in.
Other than that the property is one of a kind and was lovely.

Regarding excursions: Nizwa cattle market on fridays morning is a Must imo! , so was the three village walk / rose & agriculture terraces in the mountain. We got a local guide who was amazing and better to any other guide we had in Oman imo. PM me if you want contact info.

I first tried to book excursions through the hotel, but among other things we wanted to go see the Beehives tumbs at Al Ain, not far from Al Hamra & Balha & Nizwa. But after 4 back and forth emails I gave up as they kept sending me back to their organized tour excursions pdf which did not include some of the sights we wanted to see...
Thanks for relaying the excursion experiences, gives me ideas for next time ^

Isn't it crazy how different the property experience was? Nothing worse than seeing someone blathering on about their experience when yours was not what you might have expected. Sorry to hear that!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Are there any fees/taxes added to reward stays here?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Are there any fees/taxes added to reward stays here?
None on mine
GUWonder and onlysuites like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How is the road up? Asking as the family can get quiet car sick on windy roads.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:15 pm

The road preparation/condition and safety protections are world-class, or I'd even say among the best I have seen anywhere. The elevation gain and twisty and curviness are... profound. It's "windy" as hell, but your driver will not be executing four-wheel drifts in traveling it, all traffic I saw was exceptionally sane. My suggestion, pop a Bonine or Dramamine and get on with the enjoyment, it's well worth any temporary discomfort.
GUWonder and onlysuites like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Life Titanium
Some steep climb - but not that bad

I just came back from there earlier this week. The road is steep and a few sharp curves in some places but I don't think its too bad. No one got car sick in our car (but I know everyone reacts differently). There is a police checkpoint so you do need to have a 4WD to pass. We drove down partially during our stay to visit some of the villages so portions of it we drove it 2 times (up and down) and it was fine. The total time is about 1:30 hours depending on how fast your drive or pass the slow trucks.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to Muscat tomorrow and thinking about coming here. How far from Muscat? Should we hired car and driver or drive ourselves? Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
it's about 2.5 hours - 3 hours from Muscat. The road is very safe and seem much easier than most mountain roads in Europe. We had a driver, but i think you can drive yourself with a GPS. You need a 4X4 though, otherwise you won't be allowed access, there is a police checkpoint at the bottom of the mountain.
GUWonder and SHLTP like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am at this hotel now and do not like it at all. 2 phone calls & 3 emails and they screwed up my
​​​​reservation.

I asked upon arrival if there were any upgrades available as Globalist (totally understand if none available). First FD agent said I had to pay for an upgrade. I was like what...Second one said I could get upgrade but tried to convince me the base room was better than Horizon. She even walked us to base room to convince us.

I said Ridge is available on app and I'd that was part of upgrade pool. She demurred and said that Standard or Horizon better but yes ridge available. I mean, come on!! Two agents actively lying.

I took Ridge. Hours later they hadnt gotten luggage ready or enough towels for room. We asked for a walk at 2:55 and they tried to get us to pay for one at 3:05 when there was a free one that had just started at 3. No one told us initially about the 3pm one.

It is beautiful but service is abominable. Rude. Aggressive. Not following up. Thank gosh only reason for one night. At these rates!!!

Do not stay here

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 11, 2020 at 4:50 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Interesting variety of experiences. My stay (3 nights, points, Globalist) was simply fantastic in all regards.
Important thing to mention: Reward nights include breakfast and dinner (in fact, all rates include 3 course dinner).

On some of the topics:
Drive: Hands down, this is the most impressive and secure mountain road I have ever seen. More like a steep highway... Even though I appreciate the extra safety effort, requirement for 4x4 is a joke if you are used to drive in the Alps with a small sedan. Drivers/Taxis from Muscat are overpriced IMO.
Rooms: I was not able to figure out the difference between Ridge/Horizon. I asked for a room far away from main building and was given one in the building next to the yoga deck. Many rooms are above the pool or the restaurant, which I do not like.
Breakfast: There is a large menu to order from in addition to the buffet. Plus you can ask for literally everything (incl. orange juice of course).
Service: Quite impressive how staff remembers names, even GM who is around during the day for small talk.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know what room a TSU puts you in?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:10 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Does anyone know what room a TSU puts you in?
Jabal Terrace Suite
Old May 25, 2020, 7:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm in Muscat, and the lockdown of the city from the rest of the country is expected to end on May 29th. The Alila has been closed for a while but is reopening from June 1st, so I took the opportunity to book a three-night stay in June to cross this bucket list hotel off my list and treat my friend for a milestone birthday. The hotel runs an annual promotion called 15 Degrees Cooler targeted to GCC citizens and residents at a discounted rate with perks like a-la-carte breakfast and dinner for two, discounts on spa treatments, sunrise/sunset yoga, a master class at the restaurant and such. This year, however, they've pared those perks back to just a-la-carte breakfast with the discounted rate, which is disappointing. In an e-mail exchange I had with the hotel to arrange some special arrangements for my friend, I requested a cake and bottle of wine - and the agent promptly informed me that this was chargeable and attached the wine list. I selected a bottle, and the agent replied that the charge will be placed on my account and reflected on my final bill.

While I am not asking for anything for free, mind, I find it very off-putting and poor form when a luxury property that charges 300+ USD a night pretty much every night of the year to thrust the bill on a guest outright while charging the usual hotel premiums of north of 50 dollars for bottles of wine that retail at <15. 'Lesser quality' hotels such as Marriotts and even Four Points hotels I routinely stay at never conduct themselves like this via e-mail or in person in my experience, and usually offer to go above and beyond at their own expense.

Not the best first impression at all, and leaves a sour taste. You'd think the Alila would be a little more generous and appealing following months of closure and a nonexistent international tourism industry with the airports and borders closed, but alas.

khabah
escape4 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.