Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best value and conveniently located Hyatt properties in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I’m looking at my travels to Asia so far and I find that I tend to go to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, and Tokyo. If I were to do mattress runs in these cities, which ones would you pick? If you are staying and looking for value in a convenient location, which properties in these cities would you pick?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Mattress runs? The question answers itself for anybody who has ever paid their own hotel bill in Asia. Kuala Lumpur. The Alila is a good hotel, category 1, one stop from Sentral. The HH is really cheap but less convenient.

I'm not sure that I would want to mattress run in China, but Shanghai has several cheap options outside of the tourist/business centre (but accessible on public transport).
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I definitely wouldn't want to mattress run in most of those cities. The HP in Bangkok might be suitable? It can be cheap enough and a mall is just down the road.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Mattress runs? The question answers itself for anybody who has ever paid their own hotel bill in Asia. Kuala Lumpur. The Alila is a good hotel, category 1, one stop from Sentral. The HH is really cheap but less convenient.

I'm not sure that I would want to mattress run in China, but Shanghai has several cheap options outside of the tourist/business centre (but accessible on public transport).
What’s wrong with China? Which Hyatt in Shanghai you gave in mind?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:47 am

Shanghai has a lot of Hyatt options, and while they seem to fluctuate quite a bit on price, you'll typically find a few that are great value. HR Jiading seems to be ridiculously cheap all the time but I have never been up that far. If you don't need to be anywhere in particular, just want to be in a decent location, then this might do. As mentioned already, Alila Bangsar in KL would be a great choice using points.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
What’s wrong with China? Which Hyatt in Shanghai you gave in mind?
Because your registration / passport details go to the government, I wouldn't necessarily want to be registered at two or more hotels at once...

Lots of Category 1 hotels in Shanghai. Hongqiao CBD for example...
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In terms of location and value, the HR Tokyo is generally good, but not for a MR.

Similarly, the GH ICN is great when one has an overnight connection there or an early departure.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
SIN Andaz is really nice IMO.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you are staying and looking for value in a convenient location, which properties in these cities would you pick?
Generally speaking, for Hong Kong/Singapore/Tokyo, "value" to me is "not Hyatt" (maybe the Hyatt Regency Tokyo on points). Local chains in those cities help me avoid US hotel chain "tax" (I generally find I can get the star level/location I want at a better price level if I discard chain loyalty). It seems to me if you're mattress running your objective should be cheap markets where average room cost is low. None of those three are remotely close to that (you CAN find inexpensive hotel options in Tokyo that aren't capsule hotels though, you're just not going to find them with Hyatt).

China and KL are probably your best bet for Hyatt mattress running in Asia, maybe the HP Bangkok as mentioned (though case in point... I could find better hotels than HP Bangkok for my needs for about 75-80% of the price on a December stay, so I'm not staying there, but to misquote Dave Chappelle as Rick James, Globalist status is a helluva drug).
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Isochronous
SIN Andaz is really nice IMO.
Also very expensive for a mattress run. It is indeed a very nice hotel though.

I think KL is the obvious choice here for the best value
Isochronous and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Shanghai has a lot of Hyatt options, and while they seem to fluctuate quite a bit on price, you'll typically find a few that are great value. HR Jiading seems to be ridiculously cheap all the time but I have never been up that far. If you don't need to be anywhere in particular, just want to be in a decent location, then this might do. As mentioned already, Alila Bangsar in KL would be a great choice using points.
Jiading isn't exactly central or convenient especially for a short stay.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Jiading isn't exactly central or convenient especially for a short stay.
That's why the hotels there are cheap.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
That's why the hotels there are cheap.
lol, but I want cheap and convenient in the same sentence. Surely there are some locations that are usually priced very low?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:12 pm
soy

Programs: various
lol, but I want cheap and convenient in the same sentence. Surely there are some locations that are usually priced very low?
I believe that you have already got your answer.
KL is generally the cheapest if you require convenient vs being out in the sticks
Isochronous likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Very low" you go to Yogjakarta or off-season HP Patong.

A reasonably priced Asian holiday at a Hyatt... you go to Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia.

It's not rocket science and it's not specific to Hyatt. There are cheap markets and there are expensive ones... You start with a look at the hotels in Category 1 - in that category because they are typically cheapest - and go from there...
lsquare and eponymous_coward like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.