Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 12, 2000, 11:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, Hyatt, Hilton, Shangri-La

Several months ago I started another thread asking if anyone had any comments about the Taipei Hilton. Most of you said to forget the Hilton and go with Hyatt. I did and it was my first stay ever with them and without a doubt, the BEST hotel experience I have ever had! The underwater stereo system was great as was all the restaurants.

One thing did disappoint me and that was that ALL the Regency Club Floors were under renovation. Seems that world wide reservations would have been aware of this to let me know. I got over that though with the excellent service I received. Thanks to everyone for your comments and thank you Grand Hyatt Taipei.
Old Jan 14, 2000, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Glad you liked it. The Hyatts in Asia-Pac are awesome. I wish the Hyatt hotel managers in the U.S. would spend more time there learning.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 12:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, Hyatt, Hilton, Shangri-La
Taipei Upgrade

Don't want to sound like Muerz on the request of Platinum upgrade in Hong Kong, but can I expect or request an upgrade at the Grand Taipei in two weeks?

I am new to the whole Platinum thing as of two weeks ago. I just hope I get my new card before I go. But really, I don't know what to expect or ask for. I don't want to go in asking for anything that I am not qualified to get. My reservation is for King, RC floor from 12/18-12/22. Any comments or suggestions?? Thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2000, 8:20 am
Original Member

As a platinum member, you can only receive a RC upgrade with a coupon. Since u are already in a RC room, what type of an upgrade are u looking for, a suite? It cannot hurt to ask, but as far as entitlement, Platinum does not get guarantee u much.
I was at this hotel in June. As a Diamond, they guaranteed me a room during a fully booked period, upgraded me to a Gold Passport floor (RC was full for a convention), and gave me full RC privilages. They also gave me discount coupons for the Breakfast buffet, and invited me to a GM cocktail hour.
I found the Spa and pool area great, as well as the RC. They had a nice breakfast spread, with cereals, breads and pastries, cold cuts and salmon, and fresh fruits. They also had a nice cocktail hour and evening desserts.
The gold passport rooms were quite standard, and can't comment on the RC rooms.
The staff is very friendly and competent, I think u will really enjoy your stay there.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stay there frequently. The RC rooms are the same as GP rooms except with upgraded bathroom amenities. There is virtually no difference if you can get GP room with RC access.

It is tough to get an upgrade to suite. I am a regular Diamond guest, other than RC upgrade, I only get one category upgrade occasionally. I believe those are operational upgrades.

They have completed the renovation and all rooms are nice and new. The service is excellent as well. You won't be disappointed.

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 11-30-2000).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Grand Hyatt Taipei - Diamond benefits??

Do Diamonds get benefits at the Hyatt Taipei? A friend whose account was noted "Diamond" mentioned his status at the front desk but was told he wouldn't get upgrades, nor would they allow lounge access. He said that internet access was expensive also! Has anyone had the same experience?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:41 pm

In January, I checked in in the lounge and was given access to the lounge as well. I am a Diamond.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:04 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold

GH Taipei has always treated me very good as diam & returning guest.
Not always room at GC level, because at some fairs hotel is often fully booked, but I always get Lounge access.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:36 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Lounge access, very basic room on the GP floor - consistently. Older hotel, Westin and others are much nicer. The saving grace is the food in the lounge.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
A room on the GC level is not guaranteed, but lounge access is REQURED. My experience at this hotel was very mediocre...

I agree that the food was good in the GC, but the hotel itself is a lackluster facility (paper-thin walls, unpolished staff...) The GH Hong Kong may not do much better in terms of upgrades but it's a far superior hotel in almost every other way.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:21 pm

At GH HK you'll be ungraded (as diamond) to harbour view room which is much nicer than rooms at GH Taipei (which I doubt I was upgraded). The club in GH HK is also much nicer.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Taipei Grand Hyatt questions

I have no status with Hyatt. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

But I hear the Grand Hyatt is one of the nicer properties in Taipei, so I think I will give it a shot.

I am finding a couple of rates that look reasonable: one that includes bed and breakfast, one that includes bed and breakfast on club floor, one that includes club floor but no breakfast and then none of the above.

How is the restaurant? Is the breakfast worth it or will the club be good enough? Is the club enough to justify it WITH paying for the breakfast as well?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have no status with Hyatt. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

But I hear the Grand Hyatt is one of the nicer properties in Taipei, so I think I will give it a shot.

I am finding a couple of rates that look reasonable: one that includes bed and breakfast, one that includes bed and breakfast on club floor, one that includes club floor but no breakfast and then none of the above.

How is the restaurant? Is the breakfast worth it or will the club be good enough? Is the club enough to justify it WITH paying for the breakfast as well?
Yes, the Hyatt is quite a good hotel, especially now that the surrounding areas have been developed with an entertainment complex (theatres), shopping mall, Taipei 101, etc. You would not be disappointed to stay there. As for the breakfast, you will be amazed at the spread in the Cafe, and is definitely worth the money. In fact, it is more like a lunch buffet than a regular breakfast. Although I am Diamond and can get breakfast in the Grand Club Lounge, I have always taken the buffet breakfast in the Cafe instead. Much, much better than anything in the Lounge. So, in my opinion, you would do best to book the B&B option w/out Lounge access, unless you also want the afternoon snacks, evening cocktails, etc. But, if you are not going to be around the hotel in the afternoon/evenings, then don't pay extra for the Grand Club Lounge booking.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The Taipei Hyatt is a nice hotel - you will enjoy your stay there.

The Cafe is a decent place to eat, although the club lounge has pretty good smoked salmon.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
i would definitely get a club floor room. the key is that you'll get a much better room on the club floor than not. there are some rooms in that hotel that are tiny.

i don't think you need the breakfast option, the club lounge breakfast is decent and the evening cocktails are pretty good. you'll get free continental breakfast as a regular GP member anyway.

as Fly Me To The Moon previously stated this area is undergoing massive development so there are lots of things to do. i think you will enjoy your stay there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.