Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What's the logic in not allowing TSUs on free night certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC

I've got an expiring Cat1-7 cert (for hitting Globalist) and have used it for 1 night at the GH Vail in the off season (early November). I've got two more paid nights after that. However, because I've got the Cat1-7 cert in there, I can't apply one of my TSUs. I knew about this restriction going in, but can anyone explain the logic? You can use them on points and P+C reservations, so why not the Cat1-7 certs? And I'm still eligible at check-in if available. Its not like there are so many of them floating around out there that it would break the bank.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I've got an expiring Cat1-7 cert (for hitting Globalist) and have used it for 1 night at the GH Vail in the off season (early November). I've got two more paid nights after that. However, because I've got the Cat1-7 cert in there, I can't apply one of my TSUs. I knew about this restriction going in, but can anyone explain the logic? You can use them on points and P+C reservations, so why not the Cat1-7 certs? And I'm still eligible at check-in if available. Its not like there are so many of them floating around out there that it would break the bank.
Is the night you are using the free night cert still available using a free night? I suggest cancel that night add TSU to two paid nights then rebook the free night using the cert. Better if the free night is at the end. When you check in see if they’ll let you keep same room. Otherwise you can choose downgrade for whole stay.

I don’t know what the reasoning is I think it’s really dumb as well.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Unfortunately the cert is expiring right at the beginning of my stay (i.e. the first night), so it has to be used first (yeah, I procrastinated, but I finally have the opportunity to travel personally after 111 nights in Hyatts already this year, almost exclusively for business). The free night is still available (well, on points which I'm assuming also means on the cert), so I might try to two step
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:48 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I somewhat understand the logic. To use the TSU you have to pay for the night. Cash, P+C or points.
The Cat 1-4/7 is a gifted free night, so when using it you are not paying for the standard room. I would presume when booking a “pay 3 nights get 4th night free” that a TSU would not be able to be applied, as the 4th night would also not count as a tier qualifying night.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told that system software only supports one cert per reservation.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I somewhat understand the logic. To use the TSU you have to pay for the night. Cash, P+C or points.
The Cat 1-4/7 is a gifted free night, so when using it you are not paying for the standard room. I would presume when booking a “pay 3 nights get 4th night free” that a TSU would not be able to be applied, as the 4th night would also not count as a tier qualifying night.
Gifted is a strong word. They are earned for certain activities, like staying 60 nights. And in general, I think the way the "stay 3, 4th night free" rates work is that the rate is actually reduced proportionately so that the overall cost is the same as 3 nights at the stated rate. I think you still get 4 nights credit, though someone can correct me as I've never used them at Hyatt

Originally Posted by azepine00
I was told that system software only supports one cert per reservation.
Speaking as someone who developed software for years, that's a terrible excuse. It's software, fix it.They found a way to use suite upgrades on points stays where the system clearly doesn't let them do it in a normal way (which is why you don't get a confirmation via email with the updated room type), so clearly they can work around limitations when they want to.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Hahaha you said fix it to Hyatt IT?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:55 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
. I think you still get 4 nights credit, though someone can correct me as I've never used them at Hyatt

I am sure you do not get the 4th night credit. Confirmed by MHC and others on this board. there is a thread somewhere.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I am sure you do not get the 4th night credit. Confirmed by MHC and others on this board. there is a thread somewhere.
Well that's just a tacky move by Hyatt. Has anyone confirmed that also means a TSU could not be applied to such a stay? I did just read a blog entry where someone on a rate like that was denied, but don't know if it is an isolated instance.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Maybe a stupid question but would a Globalist get a Suite Upgrade anyways, even if using a Category 1-7 Certificate?

Or is it that you want a guaranteed suite since Globalist upgrades are based on the room being available at the time of check in?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Maybe a stupid question but would a Globalist get a Suite Upgrade anyways, even if using a Category 1-7 Certificate?

Or is it that you want a guaranteed suite since Globalist upgrades are based on the room being available at the time of check in?
Looking for the guaranteed suite. Little weekend away with my wife and the TSUs are going to expire if I don't use them, so.... It is low season, so good chance of the upgrade on check in, but why leave it to chance if you have a way to confirm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Looking for the guaranteed suite. Little weekend away with my wife and the TSUs are going to expire if I don't use them, so.... It is low season, so good chance of the upgrade on check in, but why leave it to chance if you have a way to confirm
Ah!

Well, in that case here’s what I’d do.

I would make 2 reservations. On the 2nd I would apply the TSU and I would shoot the property an email seeing if they’d be able to get you in a Suite for your whole stay. Typically they’re able to combine reservations so it’s definitely possible.

As far as the logic behind it there’s no rhyme or reason Hyatt is a very odd duck.

For example:

Globalists receive free parking on Category Certificates and Points Reservations, but not Points + Cash reservations.

How is this benefit bestowed on someone using a Free Night Certificate, but allowing use of a TSU is not?

Another strange thing is awarding Suite Upgrades at 60 nights. Most Globs will not use them as Suite Upgrades are a benefit of Globalist.

Considering very few Suite Upgrade awards are given out why not allow them for “Premium suites”? It just seems weird to give them to Globalists and most wont use them. They only wish they could trade them back to Hyatt for Points.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:56 am

There is no logic, even my concierge refused to book one night on points and apply the tsu and the next night be a regular room using the cert.

I booked the cert manually after she booked the points with tsu night. The hope is that if I have the suite the first night chances are the hotel will give it to me on the second night. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:55 am

Speaking as someone who developed software for years, that's a terrible excuse. It's software, fix it.They found a way to use suite upgrades on points stays where the system clearly doesn't let them do it in a normal way (which is why you don't get a confirmation via email with the updated room type), so clearly they can work around limitations when they want to.
As someone that used to work in hotels, I can tell you it's not as simple as just fixing the software. Hotel chains are boxed in in terms of how systems are set up because they must sync up with the Global Distributions Systems (GDS) that travel agencies (full-service, corporate, and online) use.

Also, one factor that people tend to ignore when they call for a change like this one is training. Whether it involves a software change or simply a new work around, training would be necessary if Hyatt changes this policy. First, they need to train all the Reservations Sales Agents working at the contact centers. Then, all 700+ Hyatt branded hotels have to train all of the Reservations and Front Desk staff working at each property. Even if you manage to compact that training into 15 to 30 minutes, you're still looking at thousands of hours of training when it's all added up.

Given the fact that your proposed change wouldn't result in any additional revenue, it's unlikely any policy change will happen. The only way it might would be if a significant number of Hyatt guests decided to defect to a competitor because they can't use the suite upgrade on a free night certificate. I may be wrong, but I kind of doubt that someone would leave Hyatt over this policy.

For the record, I'm not saying this policy is good or bad. (I actually have no strong personal feelings either way.) I'm just presenting some of the possible reasons why it is what it is, based on my experience working in hotels.
TerryK and JackE like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Ah!

Well, in that case here’s what I’d do.

I would make 2 reservations. On the 2nd I would apply the TSU and I would shoot the property an email seeing if they’d be able to get you in a Suite for your whole stay. Typically they’re able to combine reservations so it’s definitely possible.

As far as the logic behind it there’s no rhyme or reason Hyatt is a very odd duck.

For example:

Globalists receive free parking on Category Certificates and Points Reservations, but not Points + Cash reservations.

How is this benefit bestowed on someone using a Free Night Certificate, but allowing use of a TSU is not?

Another strange thing is awarding Suite Upgrades at 60 nights. Most Globs will not use them as Suite Upgrades are a benefit of Globalist.

Considering very few Suite Upgrade awards are given out why not allow them for “Premium suites”? It just seems weird to give them to Globalists and most wont use them. They only wish they could trade them back to Hyatt for Points.
Not sure about some of your logic to be honest. The advance confirmable TSUs are one of the best Globalist benefits.
jinrop likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.