Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: khabah
Open hotels
  • Caption by Hyatt Beale Street Memphis / Memphis, TN, USA / July 2022 / hotel website
Pipeline hotels
  • Caption by Hyatt Shanghai Zhongshan Park / Shanghai, China / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Osaka Namba / Osaka, Japan / H1 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Chattanooga Southside / Chattanooga, TN, USA / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Nashville / Nashville, TN, USA / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Sydney / Sydney, Australia / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Tokyo Kabutocho / Tokyo, Japan / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Ba Son Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Roseville / Roseville, CA, USA / 2026 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Sacramento / Sacramento, CA, USA / 2026 / source
Rumored hotels
Print Wikipost

New Brand: Caption by Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:35 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by christianj
Millennials don't need desks because they are all on their mobile devices. Most rooms aren't big enough to put a desk in them anyway.

I know some Millennials, who nevertheless need a desk ... And I work quite ofen with a tablet as well, but could no do this in the public given our policies (i.e. not allowed to work in the public on highly sensible data). But we become off topic.

The rooms look nice, but given the lack of a desk, staying at such a hotel would only be possible if I do not need to work during the stay.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by antonius66
Seriously what is the deal with all the damn brands? I hate that hotels continue to feel like they need 15 brands. I only need low end like HP, full service like HR, higher end full service like GH and high luxury like PH. THAT'S IT. I hate this idiocy of 2 dozen brands with 3 properties each.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Probaly could have just folded this into Centric or Andaz.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I get the idea of new brands for developers and such (Millennial doublespeak garbage side).

However - having stayed in a couple Centrics so far - how is this any different at all?
Originally Posted by christianj
Probably lower quality furnishings, limited service and a lower price point.
This is a limited-service brand. Centrics and Andaz fancy themselves as full-service brands.

I hate having tons of brands too, but I do think having a limited service brand other than Hyatt House (long stay oriented), and Hyatt Place (mostly bland suburban properties) makes sense. I do not want a brand to mix full and limited service properties -- the whole idea of a brand is to know what you are getting into without having to do a lot of research.

And that press release is 'gag worthy'....

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 25, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The room looks like a more stylish version of aloft.

I need a desk and a comfortable chair.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by antonius66
Seriously what is the deal with all the damn brands? I hate that hotels continue to feel like they need 15 brands. I only need low end like HP, full service like HR, higher end full service like GH and high luxury like PH. THAT'S IT. I hate this idiocy of 2 dozen brands with 3 properties each.
1) "You only need" is different from "Everyone only needs". If you only need HP/HR/GH/PH, nobody is keeping you from staying at strictly HP/HR/GH/PH
2) If you're getting mad about a hotel chain having too many brands, you're probably getting angry a little too easily.
3) Hotel chains match each other, and one chain starting a brand inevitably forces the others to create similar brands. This is Hyatt's Moxy competitor.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by steveholt
1) Hotel chains match each other, and one chain starting a brand inevitably forces the others to create similar brands. This is Hyatt's Moxy competitor.
Guess we will be seeing a fitness brand like IHG Even Hotels and a dorm/hostel like brand similar to what Hilton announced under Motto soon.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
If this new brand adds more options in city areas and actually interests more investors to build more hotels under WoH, I'm all for it. Alternatively, I find Moxy and Aloft within the US pretty poor overall in honoring benefits and rooms' quality/size. I would think Caption would have the potential to be better than those two brands.

Otherwise, I think tommie should of been the proper brand for this instead of making a new brand in Caption. Especially how tommie is described as "a new, micro lifestyle hotel brand", and already has some properties within the pipeline
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkOK
This is a limited-service brand. Centrics and Andaz fancy themselves as full-service brands.
Only been to two Centrics (Chicago / Boston) - but other than having an on-site restaurant, they just seemed like a nicer Aloft to me (furnishing-wise, overall amenity wise, etc)

I like Centric but not seeing true differentiation here
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All this dilutes and blurs brand recognition otoh some fresh concepts designs and styles are needed. Ime a lot of these new concept places look good in the beginning but get worn out very fast due to cheap construction..
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Only been to two Centrics (Chicago / Boston) - but other than having an on-site restaurant, they just seemed like a nicer Aloft to me (furnishing-wise, overall amenity wise, etc)

Having a real restaurant is usually the differentiating factor between full service and limited service, and to me is usually the most important distinction (I loath going on an extended stay, especially on business, and not having room service as an option for easy to get meals). But also, think about porters, a concierge desk, a laundry service. Not sure about laundry, but the Centrics I have been to do have a concierge desk, restaurant(s), and porters, whereas limited service hotels never have these these things.

I'd be peaved if I book a Centric only to find out that all there is for food service is a hipster coffee bar, (and no concierge, luggage help, etc).
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I stayed at the Chicago Centric when it was new and just called "Hyatt Magnificent Mile." It was indistinguishable from a Hyatt Regency to me.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
This seems to be the opposite of a Hyatt Place. Small rooms and a great public area, while maintaining the low service aspect. If it grows the footprint, then who am I to complain!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:56 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by cvseuy
So are we still getting tommie as a brand as well? They still seem to mention that brand on their list of Hyatt brands, even though there are 0 active hotels with that brand.

As for Caption, it kinda make sense that they would have some kind of lifestyle limited service brand. Looking at the news/development Hyatt pages, this is literally a Moxy competitor.

Video: https://www.hyatt.com/development/ou...captionbyhyatt
Concept Images:

This looks identical to the Amsterdam Andaz. hmmm.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by drewp123
This seems to be the opposite of a Hyatt Place. Small rooms and a great public area, while maintaining the low service aspect. If it grows the footprint, then who am I to complain!

Since my main complaint about Hyatt is its limited and (limiting) footprint, making WoH not useful program anymore, any step to introduce more locations is welcome.
drewp123 and rkoechel like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijkh
This looks identical to the Amsterdam Andaz. hmmm.
It reminds me more of Citizen M at AMS airport.

BTW, there are some new HPs with large and good public areas, although it's interesting that most of them seem to have some rooms on the lobby level while aloft hotels (to pick a brand that's somewhat similar) do not in general. If they're typically four stories high, this of course changes the ratio between public and private space.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:06 am

I can’t wait to see the amazing food that Caption by Hyatt is advertising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.