Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, CA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, CA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just completed a 3-night stay on points as Globalist.

As previously mentioned, not able to apply TSU to reservation but was notified via the app that we were upgraded to a 'Studio Coastline View' off to the side / away from the pool area. Overall room was spacious for two people, had a small balcony and an oversized bathroom w/ tub. If available, I would recommend the Studio Fire Pit rooms AWAY from the pool area. These rooms have wrap around seating outside for 6-8 people, provide a coastline view and are on the 'quiet side' of the hotel.

Only food option at the moment is via main restaurant - VAGA or in-room dining. The 'Coffee Box' and the pool restaurant/bar 'The Pocket' are both closed. As Globalist, we were told to order whatever we wanted for breakfast and it would be waived. We averaged between $75-$100 each morning (2x room service, 1x in restaurant) and had everything removed at check-out, no questions asked. Breakfast-wise the meals were fantastic and they seem to put a lot of effort in to the choices as well as sourcing things locally.

Gym states closed online but was available for use. Few treadmills and bikes, free weights up to 50lbs and few machines. Solid enough to get a decent workout in each day.

Pool was small but heated. Multiple lounge options and had staff serving drinks/small plates from VAGA with 'The Pocket' being closed. Be aware that there were A LOT of kids at the pool over the weekend, which definitely killed the whole 'lounge-vibe' the place is going for. While we are not anti-kids, I wouldn't consider this a 'kid friendly' hotel as there is not a lot for them to do. Surprised it is not 18+ like the other Alila hotels in CA.

The staff were by far the biggest positive, as everyone was super friendly and accommodating, introduced themselves, talked about the area, etc. etc. Very much came across that they wanted everyone to have the best experience possible.

Few small issues we experienced that we chalked up to this being a 'new hotel':
- None of the outlets worked on one side of the room - Maintenance fixed this the next morning
- No coffee maker in room or available anywhere on-site aside from breakfast
- No room service menu available in room
- We were specifically asked for housekeeping preferences (requested late afternoon) and had someone knocking on our door at 8AM first two mornings. We ended up just hanging the DND sign the rest of the stay.

Overall a solid stay and would consider again if in the area / once everything is fully opened.

Last edited by Dsm2m2; Mar 29, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Be aware that there were A LOT of kids over the weekend, which definitely killed the whole 'lounge-vibe' the place is going for. While we are not anti-kids, I wouldn't consider this a 'kid friendly' place and am surprised it is not 18+ like the other Alila hotels in CA.
Only three of the kids were mine. Apologies.

Agree with your comments about VAGA and the staff. Great breakfast and excellent service.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Has anybody had any experience with the "Beach Ambassadors"? We are definitely more beach people than pool, and I saw that they advertised beach chair set-ups on the website. The sample picture looked great, but it was clearly taken from a different beach.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:04 pm

I originally became interested in this hotel last year when a blogger noted its opening and that award availability was wide open. I was faced with the same issue that my concierge could not upgrade to a suite until the hotel opened. She suggested I book the One bedroom suite with oceanview as a standard suite at a cost of 40,000 points a night to lock it in. She said when the hotel opened she will call and I should be able to use a TSU on it. Another issue I had was I was spending a ton of points (280,000) and I wasn't even sure I can accommodate a family of 4 in the room (says 2 capacity but also sleeper sofa and I thought ample room for rollaway). As the opening date started to get closer I decided to bite the bullet and just get another room for my kids given this is our first real vacation in a while because of COVID, another 175,000 was justifiable.

fast forward to opening. As many have experienced my concierge called the day it opened and she was told: "He advised that if you change this reservation over to points the suite will be lost. They are oversold on their suites at this time and he is not able to let us change it over to points and use a suite upgrade award. He has your reservation details added to his list and he will actively check this to see if he can do this at a later time. It is not a guarantee but we can always hope. I will also keep an eye on this too." I call so much BS on this but honestly it's not my concierges fault and reading through folks experience here I see the games Alila is playing. Hopefully this sorts out favorably for us and while I'd prefer not to spend an additional 105,000 points when I don't have to it is nice to see the service folks are getting as Globalist. Would be nice if she decided to comp me the 105,000 points too.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neiname
I originally became interested in this hotel last year when a blogger noted its opening and that award availability was wide open. I was faced with the same issue that my concierge could not upgrade to a suite until the hotel opened. She suggested I book the One bedroom suite with oceanview as a standard suite at a cost of 40,000 points a night to lock it in. She said when the hotel opened she will call and I should be able to use a TSU on it. Another issue I had was I was spending a ton of points (280,000) and I wasn't even sure I can accommodate a family of 4 in the room (says 2 capacity but also sleeper sofa and I thought ample room for rollaway). As the opening date started to get closer I decided to bite the bullet and just get another room for my kids given this is our first real vacation in a while because of COVID, another 175,000 was justifiable.

fast forward to opening. As many have experienced my concierge called the day it opened and she was told: "He advised that if you change this reservation over to points the suite will be lost. They are oversold on their suites at this time and he is not able to let us change it over to points and use a suite upgrade award. He has your reservation details added to his list and he will actively check this to see if he can do this at a later time. It is not a guarantee but we can always hope. I will also keep an eye on this too." I call so much BS on this but honestly it's not my concierges fault and reading through folks experience here I see the games Alila is playing. Hopefully this sorts out favorably for us and while I'd prefer not to spend an additional 105,000 points when I don't have to it is nice to see the service folks are getting as Globalist. Would be nice if she decided to comp me the 105,000 points too.
Not sure on the 'oversold' part as I was just there over the weekend during SD spring break and it was maybe 50% full at best.

For what its worth, the rooms are pretty large and if you are going to get two anyway, I would just book the base rooms and hope for an upgrade at check-in for at least one of them. While the TSU situation is definitely annoying, it does seem like they are at least upgrading Globalists to slightly better rooms prior to check-in. Also I would triple confirm if you need a pullout, as the sofa in our room was actually a small love seat and definitely did not pull out.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:30 am

Appreciate the feedback and you are probably right in that two base rooms will probably be sufficient. While there is a good chance they will upgrade the room doubtful it will be into a suite. Plus I'm enamored that the price per night was $3,000+ on the suite (when available for booking) so in a sense "I'm really getting my $ worth" or so I tell myself dropping so many points (silly I know). Also I hold onto a dream of them just putting me into the Ponto Suite.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
gleff Any update from your contacts at Hyatt?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
I began a conversation with Hyatt corporate about this property about a week and a half ago. I am promised resolution shortly.
Anything yet?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There is apparently some internal debate and delay going on here. It is going to get solved but I am getting impatient. I've heard a bit more via whispers but officially "the hotel is still sorting out their inventory for standard rooms and standard suites" with a yadda yadda pandemic yadda yadda.
SanDiego1K, ryandc99 and CLEguy like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Gary, my concierge reached out to me yesterday to ask if I remained interested and to say that the upgrade is to a suite with a king bed. I am hosting family with young children so need two beds but was curious to see if an upgrade is even available. Today, I got a note saying none was available for that date. The interchange left me somewhat hopeful as two weeks ago, the concierge had said that the hotel had no upgrade inventory.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
There is apparently some internal debate and delay going on here. It is going to get solved but I am getting impatient. I've heard a bit more via whispers but officially "the hotel is still sorting out their inventory for standard rooms and standard suites" with a yadda yadda pandemic yadda yadda.
Thanks for the update, Gary. That’s frustrating to hear.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:13 pm

Some progress. The Twitter team tells me that: "I'm showing the hotel will be offering the One Bedroom Suite with Ocean View and ADA One Bedroom Suite with Ocean View for Globalist Suite Upgrades, as well as full points nightly redemption for these suites. Unfortunately, we're not given a time frame hen they will start releasing these to be booked for redemption."
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Alila Marea: Not ready for primetime

Just got back from a trip staying at both Aviara and then the Alila. The upshot. The Alila is not ready for primetime. Basic amenities like in room coffee maker, resort map, sundries shop are not available. No casual dining option expect for takeout at the pool. Ocean views from the room are killer but the beach below is not. Pool area is small and will be crowded when summer season arrives. Vaga is great for globalist breakfast but was painfully slow and dinner was overpriced and meh. Staff was friendly and helpful. Read below for pics and detailed review.

Booking:

Booked on points at 25K per night. The rack rate for a basic room was around $700 USD, which to me is ridiculous. Not worth it unless money means nothing to you. Hard to find rooms on points now.

Check-in/Upgrade:

Thanked for my loyalty, but they didn’t have any resort map or information about the resort.

Welcome drink choices. The shot is mango tumeric vodka. Refreshing

I was told there are only 4 standard suites on property and they have all been booked up in advance by God knows who. This resort is not catering to families even though people had their brood with them. No rollaway beds or couch beds. Book a queen room if you have kids with you. I was upgraded to a 3 floor (top floor) ocean view room.

The Room:

The view was killer. As we are on the left coast, you get a beautiful sunset view. We saw a gorgeous sunset of yellow and orange melting into the blue sea. However, our room was right above the pool. Not very private but most people are looking at the ocean. I would ask for an ocean view that is not directly over the pool.

Complimentary hard seltzer in fridge

The room is grayscale. The upscale=dark theory of design. In fact, the whole resort is quite dark and without color. Surprising how gloomy it feels.

There is currently no in room coffee maker or any place to easily get your morning fix. I was told coffee they would be coming in 6 weeks. Same is true for resort maps or any information regarding the resort at check in.

Bed and pillows were comfy.

View from patio

Gorgeous sunset

The Resort:

Its a secured maze. A dark secured maze with two sets of elevators with each going to different floors. You will need your key with you at all times. For security, you need a key to access the elevator, the pool, and doors in and out of the resort. Some of you may be familiar with this set up at your workplace. I need to do this at work all the time. Its a hassle.

The hallways are gloomy

Front desk

Indoor public space

Outdoor seating

Oceanside exterior

The Pool:

It seems small for a resort of this size and I am sure it will be crowded during peak times. There is a great ocean view and cabanas for rent at $250-$350 per day. The pool side restaurant The Pocket is closed and food service is brought out in brown paper bags and paper to-go boxes. Staff at the pool were friendly and hardworking.

$250-$350 per day cabanas

Interior of poolside restaurant The Pocket

Restaurant and bar:

The bar area is beautiful and has great outdoor seating with coastline views. Wonderful atmosphere for daytime or evening cocktails. I had a few of their signature drinks and thought they tasted so-so.

Great place to grab a drink.

Bar patio

Vaga is a cool space with an open kitchen. It will probably get alot of locals coming in for celebrations or date night.

Lounge area at one end of restaurant

Vaga exterior

Patio area

Another lounge space

Vaga has a brunch style morning menu with both breakfast and lunch choices. Great Globalist treat as you have alot of dining choices. The food tasted good but the service was painfully slow. It took over 30 minutes to get our food and the place was empty. At the dinner, the price to taste ratio was off. Nothing really stood out, expect for the $8 sourdough mini-boule. Food service was slow. Waitstaff was friendly and professional.

Fruit and breakfast bread plate. Yummy.

$28 burger. It was ok.

Lamb benedict

Gigantic chia yogurt bowl. It was served in what looked like a ramen bowl.

Brunch Menu

Dinner Menu

The Beach:

Perched on a bluff above Ponto Beach, the Alila would seem to be ideally located for a beach vacation. Unfortunately, the section of Ponto Beach directly below the resort is all rocks. If you plan on swimming and frolicking on the beach, wear swim shoes. Maybe I have weak feet but the rocks hurt. Both walking on them and when waves pelt your toes with them. This is not the beach on the resort website. I don’t know where that beach is. A real disappointment and I think misrepresentation by the resort. For me a dealbreaker. I don’t want to just look at the beach. I want to swim in it and walk along it. But hey, this didn’t stop many locals from setting up chairs and enjoying it. Maybe you will.

If you want to go, wait, read more reviews to see how the resort is settling in and book on points if you can.

Side notes:
If you are down there having fun, check out the local Carslbad Village Kitchen and Pie Shoppe. A homey local diner with awesome pies and huge Pecan rolls. I experienced the Snickers chocolate cream pie. Wow! Nice slice of Americana. Literally.

Also fun outdoor shopping and dining at Westfield UTC and also at Fashion Valley. 20 minutues south of the resort.

Cali is opening up and lots more people out and vacationing for spring break. Service may currently be spotty as rehiring has not matched pace with the sudden surge in demand. I have experienced this across the service/leisure/dining sectors. Check the two pics of the same pool at Aviara taken just one month apart.

Then: Feb 2021

Now: April 2021

Hope this helps. Safe and fun travels everyone.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
they charge 350 for a cabana what's included?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Is 4 nights too much here? Is there enough to do in the local area? We’ll have a car. Planning 4 nights here, 2 in Santa Barbara at the Mar Monte, and 2 at the Alila Ventana Big Sur. Wondering if we should spend a night or two in LA instead of 4 here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.