FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Smoking in so called non smoking properties (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1987958-smoking-so-called-non-smoking-properties.html)

sarah.telaviv Sep 19, 2019 4:30 am

Smoking in so called non smoking properties

I live non stop in hotels. It is difficult to tolerate the smokers in non smoking hotels. Yes, I know there is a fine...but only if they are reported and can prove smoking. Yet I suffer through the ventilation system. If a hotel advertises non smoking, they must find a way to make it so by sensors or some other means in the rooms or not to charge customers if they smell smoke. This issue must be addressed, especially in hotels with no open windows!!
I am actually looking to find a smoking portable sensor to monitor this, as it is making me so sick, the same with all the perfumes and sprays,

59Impala Sep 19, 2019 6:11 am

any specific Hyatt hotel? I have never had bad experiences in this respect (at any hotel, not only the Hyatt chain)

lautaro Sep 19, 2019 6:44 am

I've had this problems in so many hotels, non smoking and "partially" smoking ones, specially Hyatts.... They don't seem to care much for this, sadly. Gh Singapur, GH Kuala Lumpur, PH Duhau, HR Hong Kong, GH Hong Kong, PH Seoul, PH NYC, PH Mendoza... on and on. Practically every Hyatt I have visited had this problem at some point during my stay. I'm very sensitive to tobacco so at the smallest hint I can smell it.
Hilton and Marriott seem to be much more strict regarding non smoking policies.

MSPeconomist Sep 19, 2019 7:02 am

PH Palacio Duhau in Buenos Aires allows smoking in the cigar bar (palace side, lobby level) and in all of the outdoor F&B areas. PH Seoul allows smoking at least in the basement bar and maybe at other F&B outlets.

Hydro88 Sep 19, 2019 9:03 am

I also regularly encounter this issue. I always ask for a room change immediately and it's never been a problem. I once had to change three times in one day because every room smelled....

lautaro Sep 19, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31541544)
PH Palacio Duhau in Buenos Aires allows smoking in the cigar bar (palace side, lobby level) and in all of the outdoor F&B areas. PH Seoul allows smoking at least in the basement bar and maybe at other F&B outlets.

Happy to report that it's been a few months since the Cigar bar is no longer such. Just a regular bar where smoking is forbidden :D. Smoking is only allowed in the outdoor patio now.

MSPeconomist Sep 19, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by lautaro (Post 31542027)
Happy to report that it's been a few months since the Cigar bar is no longer such. Just a regular bar where smoking is forbidden :D. Smoking is only allowed in the outdoor patio now.

The inside area of that bar smelled like smoke a couple weeks ago, although it was empty when I stuck my head in, so I didn't see whether anyone was actively smoking.

lautaro Sep 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31542386)
The inside area of that bar smelled like smoke a couple weeks ago, although it was empty when I stuck my head in, so I didn't see whether anyone was actively smoking.

:confused:
Will be back at PH BA next will, will check on that !

Aventine Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by lautaro (Post 31541505)
I've had this problems in so many hotels, non smoking and "partially" smoking ones, specially Hyatts.... They don't seem to care much for this, sadly. Gh Singapur, GH Kuala Lumpur, PH Duhau, HR Hong Kong, GH Hong Kong, PH Seoul, PH NYC, PH Mendoza... on and on. Practically every Hyatt I have visited had this problem at some point during my stay. I'm very sensitive to tobacco so at the smallest hint I can smell it.
Hilton and Marriott seem to be much more strict regarding non smoking policies.

For the Asian properties, it's more likely a resident from a certain East Asian nation doing the smoking. Hyatt does care and will charge them the smoking fee if it's discovered during or after the stay. Housekeeping is supposed to tell the front desk but you can too if you think it's coming from the room above or below you. I've complained about smoke coming through the vent before and been moved. The worst was GH Fukuoka since all their suites have been smoking friendly suites for years. No amount of air cleaner could get it out of the hardware or upholstery.

MSPeconomist Sep 19, 2019 7:49 pm

The clothing and hair of very heavy smokers (or cigar smokers) can be so permeated with smoke that a room will smell afterward even if there's been no smoking in the room. It's especially bad to use an elevator with or after such a person.

I've complained about smoke through the ventilation system only to be told that the problem is that someone is smoking outside near an air duct, which is allowed.

Aventine Sep 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31543849)

I've complained about smoke through the ventilation system only to be told that the problem is that someone is smoking outside near an air duct, which is allowed.

At somewhere like PH Busan. That is nearly impossible since it's a 30 storey skyscaper. I would be very angry if they told me that. Sounds like a lazy excuse not to find the culprit from above or below.

MSPeconomist Sep 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31543875)
At somewhere like PH Busan. That is nearly impossible since it's a 30 storey skyscaper. I would be very angry if they told me that. Sounds like a lazy excuse not to find the culprit from above or below.

I forget where this happened, but it wasn't a skyscraper and my room was on about the third or fourth floor.

Aventine Sep 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31543897)
I forget where this happened, but it wasn't a skyscraper and my room was on about the third or fourth floor.

Definitely more possible at a low rise hotel but I would still want to move rooms. Everyone should enjoy a smoke-free environment.

sch_flyer Sep 20, 2019 6:16 am

I had an unfortunate experience with this at Hyatt Regency Maui - guests directly below our room would smoke on their balcony and smoke would fill our room, and made it impossible to enjoy our balcony. Called the front desk, specifically saying "the room directly below ours", front desk proceeds to majorly f$$# it up by sending security to the room next door instead and confronting a poor innocent couple there... Called a second time, they did send security to the correct room and reamed those guests a new one. No more smoke for the duration of the stay!

Now, if you cannot pinpoint where the smoke is coming from, there's not much that can be done...

lautaro Sep 27, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31542386)

Had a chance to talk to the GM, he confirmed smoking is no longer allowed inside. But still allowed in the balcony outside the bar, if doors are open smoke will still come inside I guess...