Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gifting Milestone Award - also staying at same property on paid stay same time?

Gifting Milestone Award - also staying at same property on paid stay same time?

Old Sep 15, 19, 8:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Posts: 3,122
Gifting Milestone Award - also staying at same property on paid stay same time?

So heading to GH Berlin at end of year. Have room booked for myself for 5 nights, 2 nights paid, 3 nights points.

Have a a family member visiting from another city in Germany for 1 night. I’ve made a separate reservation for that 1 night using my 30 stat milestone category 1-4 award. Look at the T&C it does seem these are allowed to be gifted, correct? I just made the reservation under my name as I’ll be physically present for the check-in and check-out of the second room. Is it ok to that in that way? Even if I made reservation in my mom’s cousins name she’s still get guest of honor and that’s what I want to ensure is the lounge access and the complimentary breakfast.
SF1K is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:04 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,683
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
So heading to GH Berlin at end of year. Have room booked for myself for 5 nights, 2 nights paid, 3 nights points.

Have a a family member visiting from another city in Germany for 1 night. I’ve made a separate reservation for that 1 night using my 30 stat milestone category 1-4 award. Look at the T&C it does seem these are allowed to be gifted, correct? I just made the reservation under my name as I’ll be physically present for the check-in and check-out of the second room. Is it ok to that in that way? Even if I made reservation in my mom’s cousins name she’s still get guest of honor and that’s what I want to ensure is the lounge access and the complimentary breakfast.
If you're a globalist, wouldn't it be better to set the family member's stay up as a Guest of Honor booking? Then your guest gets elite benefits, including lounge access. However, I'm not sure whether this needs to be done using points or whether Guest of Honor can use a Cat 1-4 free night cert.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cologne, Germany
Programs: Hyatt: Member, Hilton: Gold
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you're a globalist, wouldn't it be better to set the family member's stay up as a Guest of Honor booking? Then your guest gets elite benefits, including lounge access. However, I'm not sure whether this needs to be done using points or whether Guest of Honor can use a Cat 1-4 free night cert.
Unfortunately the Guest of Honor could only be used for point redeemed stays and not for free night certificates. If you can use both rooms under your name, would be a decision from the hotel staff. If they work correctly, they have to do a namechange for the second room as this is stated in the German register law. If you are also traveling with kids and they stay in that room, then it's fine to hold both rooms on the same name though.
Axwell D is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:07 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Posts: 3,122
Originally Posted by Axwell D View Post
Unfortunately the Guest of Honor could only be used for point redeemed stays and not for free night certificates.
Are you sure about that. The T&C only say “Free Night Award”. Not distinguishing between points or other type of award.


Guest of Honor: If a Globalist gifts a Free Night Award to another party in accordance with these Terms, the recipient will be treated as a “Guest of Honor” at the applicable hotel or resort. This means that the recipient will receive all In-hotel Benefits that would have been provided to the Globalist, had (s)he redeemed the award him- or herself at the applicable hotel or resort. Gifting of an award is subject to the limitations and restrictions set forth in the Gifting an Awardsection of these Terms. Guest of Honor benefits are available only for gifted awards that are redeemed at a participating Park Hyatt, Miraval, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt, Andaz, Hyatt Centric, The Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Thompson Hotels, Alila (some locations only), Joie de Vivre (some locations only), Destination Hotels (only at the participating Destination Hotels properties and only once the applicable location begins participating in the Program), Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotel or resort. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts.
SF1K is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cologne, Germany
Programs: Hyatt: Member, Hilton: Gold
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you're a globalist, wouldn't it be better to set the family member's stay up as a Guest of Honor booking? Then your guest gets elite benefits, including lounge access. However, I'm not sure whether this needs to be done using points or whether Guest of Honor can use a Cat 1-4 free night cert.
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
Are you sure about that. The T&C only say “Free Night Award”. Not distinguishing between points or other type of award.


Guest of Honor: If a Globalist gifts a Free Night Award to another party in accordance with these Terms, the recipient will be treated as a “Guest of Honor” at the applicable hotel or resort. This means that the recipient will receive all In-hotel Benefits that would have been provided to the Globalist, had (s)he redeemed the award him- or herself at the applicable hotel or resort. Gifting of an award is subject to the limitations and restrictions set forth in the Gifting an Award section of these Terms. Guest of Honor benefits are available only for gifted awards that are redeemed at a participating Park Hyatt, Miraval, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt, Andaz, Hyatt Centric, The Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Thompson Hotels, Alila (some locations only), Joie de Vivre (some locations only), Destination Hotels (only at the participating Destination Hotels properties and only once the applicable location begins participating in the Program), Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotel or resort. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts.

OK I'm sorry. I have looked further into the TC's. They say:

13. Gifting an Award. Members may request that certain awards be issued to another person. Free Night Awards, certain Room Upgrade Awards, and Points + Cash Awards are currently eligible to be gifted to another person, as permitted under this provision. Club Lounge Access Awards (defined below), Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards (defined below), and non-stay awards (such as Dining, Spa and More Awards) are currently not eligible for gifting. In order to gift an award that is allowed to be gifted in the Program, a Member must comply with the following requirements:

A. The Award Reservation must be made by the Member who wishes to gift the award, but the reservation must be made in the name of the person who will actually use the award (i.e., the recipient of the gifted award).



So this means you can use a free night award for your friend, but you have to do the reservation yourself with the GCC in Mainz via telephone or via E-Mail [email protected]

It's also important that the reservation of your friend is under his name.
Axwell D is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,191
I've had three rooms at once under my name: one with cash, one with points and one with a free night certificate. No problem at all with me checking them all in under my own name. It was a HP however so no issues with Diamond / Globalist benefits...

If you want to guarantee benefits, you need to go the Guest of Honor route with your Concierge.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:52 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Posts: 3,122
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I've had three rooms at once under my name: one with cash, one with points and one with a free night certificate. No problem at all with me checking them all in under my own name. It was a HP however so no issues with Diamond / Globalist benefits...

If you want to guarantee benefits, you need to go the Guest of Honor route with your Concierge.
Thanks! I’ve emailed my concierge for assistance.
SF1K is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:05 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Posts: 3,122
Just a quick update for anyone that may have similar situation in future. Yes, no problem using my Milestone Category 1-4 award for my mom's cousin who will be in Berlin with us for 1 night during our 5 night stay. My concierge re-booked under her name and sent me confirmation and "Guest of Honor" is notated on that confirmation as well, so she should receive all benefits. Free Breakfast, Lounge Access, 4pm Check-out, Upgrade if available, etc.

Thanks!!
SF1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread