Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How to Mattress Run (without being present to check out)

Old Sep 12, 19, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I'm going on a Hyatt mattress run. Which means I would check in and then leave after one night.
How can I make sure they won't check me out before the end of my stay?
Would you leave something in the room (like a bag with some old clothes)? But if you leave it there, would you then just tell them to throw it away on the final day? I don't have time to go back there. At most I could ask a friend to pick up my stuff, but I'd like to avoid that.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Put the do not disturb sign on the door
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I have read that hotels are required to check your room periodically. As in, at least once every 24 hours.
Not sure what they would do if they see the room is empty for over a week?
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Hyatt Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
Please continue to follow this discussion in the Hyatt Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Uhm, ok. I doubt this will vary much between Hyatts and other hotels, but ok!
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should assume that this won't work for more than one night.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP should assume that this won't work for more than one night.
Why wouldnt it work at a Hyatt House where those staying more then 1 night dont get Housekeeping everyday anyways, and simply when checking in tell them you dont want housekeeping at all during your entire stay and if you should meed something youd come get it yourself
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Tell the hotel what you're doing when checking in and that you'll check out online whenever.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Tell the hotel what you're doing when checking in and that you'll check out online whenever.
I doubt that's a good idea, especially since one night is fully booked and I'll need to make use of my Explorist status to get a room.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:50 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
My 2cents, I don't stay at Hyatt, all my stays are at Marriott Bonvoy, LOL. But for me I get a automatic checkout bill at the end of my stay, never need to go to the front desk/nor anything. I usually opt out of any room service ( get 500 points a night for this ). As a general practice hang the no service and do not disturb for the appearance someone is in the room. I've heard another tip for making sure no one enters is to turn on the radio or TV so people at the door hear the sound. I can't confirm the effectiveness of such to prevent entrance. As far as I can tell no body comes in and replaces anything, empties trash etc...

If I was to never have even slept there, I doubt they'd know. I thought I read somewhere someone died in the room and nobody discovered till they came to clean the room at the end of their reservation stay.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I have read that hotels are required to check your room periodically. As in, at least once every 24 hours.
Not sure what they would do if they see the room is empty for over a week?
Usually when I travel for business, I'm not in the room but to sleep and I'm not very fussy about having housekeeping every day. I use the DND throughout the stay and then do express check out when I leave.

I stayed at Hyatt Centric Madrid and had the DND on my door. On day 4 (after 3 nights) my key card stopped working. Front desk said it's their policy that housekeeping had to go inspect the room. When housekeeping arrived, they used my room phone to dial somewhere presumably to record that they were in the room.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:36 am

Here's an idea - DON'T DO IT. If you can't stay w/Hyatt enough to get status (legitimately) then do something else..

Hyatt now does have a policy of checking rooms every day. That doesn't mean they actually do it. However, you'll note that DND cards are being replaced with "Room Occupied" cards in order to wean people away from expecting they won't come in or try to check on you. If it appears you've left, they will check you out and you take that risk

The bottom line is what you are doing is a form of fraud. You are lying to the hotel (you want them to think you are there when in fact you aren't) in order to gain a future financial benefit in the form of elite status perks which have substantial monetary value. Of course, if you want to simply be upfront with them, tell them what you are doing, and see if they care (they might not - especially if they are a franchise and not booked) then that's an option.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Just to be clear, I will check in in person, not willing to take that risk. What I'm worried about, is them going into my room after three days to make sure I'm not dead, then discovering it's empty.
Then maybe again two days later, noticing still nobody has used the room and informing the front desk. Who will then check me out, believing I have left early. That's the only thing I'd like to avoid.
I don't want to tell them I'm mattress running because they are sold out one night mid-stay, where I will have them kick someone else out to accomodate me. Not sure they'd appreciate that.
DND is all fine, but it's a stay of more than two weeks. I bet they'll go into the room eventually.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
Just to be clear, I will check in in person, not willing to take that risk. What I'm worried about, is them going into my room after three days to make sure I'm not dead, then discovering it's empty.
Then maybe again two days later, noticing still nobody has used the room and informing the front desk. Who will then check me out, believing I have left early. That's the only thing I'd like to avoid.
I don't want to tell them I'm mattress running because they are sold out one night mid-stay, where I will have them kick someone else out to accomodate me. Not sure they'd appreciate that.
DND is all fine, but it's a stay of more than two weeks. I bet they'll go into the room eventually.
Please see my note above regarding Fraud.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

It's not fraud. I'm paying for the room. Nobody can force me to stay there. Of course they can check me out early, but it's not fraud.
Anyway, never mind. I'll find a solution.

Search this Thread