Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How to Mattress Run (without being present to check out)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Mattress Run (without being present to check out)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It’s not fraud, he’s paying for the room and he’s there to check in. I checked in to the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo once then went straight out and ended up partying until I needed to leave for the airport. I just popped back and got my bags, was that a “fraud” stay?
Good Lord. Did you even read my comments? Would Hyatt object to what you did? No.

If the seller wouldn't object or didn’t object then there’s zero issue.

But, if you are intentionally seeking to deceive or lie your way into something of monetary value then therein lies the issue.

Hopefully the Hyatt Concierge will comment on this in terms of whether they consider pretend (but paid for) stays, in order to get Globalist status, to be fraud and would take action against people they think are doing this... which could be easily reported to them by hotels.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Been doing this for years on 4 night stays. NEVER EVER, did I have a problem. Just hang the DND and mess up the bed all is good.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Here's an idea - DON'T DO IT. If you can't stay w/Hyatt enough to get status (legitimately) then do something else..

Hyatt now does have a policy of checking rooms every day. That doesn't mean they actually do it. However, you'll note that DND cards are being replaced with "Room Occupied" cards in order to wean people away from expecting they won't come in or try to check on you. If it appears you've left, they will check you out and you take that risk

The bottom line is what you are doing is a form of fraud. You are lying to the hotel (you want them to think you are there when in fact you aren't) in order to gain a future financial benefit in the form of elite status perks which have substantial monetary value. Of course, if you want to simply be upfront with them, tell them what you are doing, and see if they care (they might not - especially if they are a franchise and not booked) then that's an option.
You guys are confusing theft for fraud. They are related but there are differences.

Anytime you lie to a seller to get something of monetary value from that seller that they would NOT give to you if they knew the truth you are engaging in a form of fraud.

Its like a mileage run where you bought the cheapo ticket and figured out how to NOT be on the plane but still get the miles and (extremely valuable) status. That’s fraud too, even though you paid for the ticket. You are cheating the airline out of something valuable.

Bottom line is this kind of behavior is damaging to those of us who play by the rules.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Were you "playing by the rules" last year when you left those 1-star ratings for that new Hyatt in NOLA that you hadn't even stayed at because you were mad the restaurant hadn't opened yet?
I'm confused. So, fraud is not staying in a place you paid for? So people who own houses and don't live there are "frauds"? I'm sure when they paid the bank the bank thought they would live there.

And leaving a review for a hotel you never stayed in-I don't think that is even "kind of" fraud. That is blatant fraud. You aren't even lying by omitting saying something. You are lying by the very fact you are posting a review.

Bottom line is this kind of behavior ("fraudulent review") is bad for those of who who play by the rules (actually review places we stay at).

(and your comment if you don't stay there enough "legitimately"-what is legitimate? You mean people who don't live in hotels (eg travelling most of the year, like some of us) shouldn't be able to obtain status?)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

Good Lord. Did you even read my comments? Would Hyatt object to what you did? No.

But, if you are intentionally seeking to deceive or lie your way into something of monetary value then therein lies the issue.

Hopefully the Hyatt Concierge will comment on this in terms of whether they consider pretend (but paid for) stays, in order to get Globalist status, to be fraud and would take action against people they think are doing this... which could be easily reported to them by hotels.
Do you mind posting the "go ahead" when you asked about whether you can leave a review for a hotel you never stayed at?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

There's nothing sacred about actually staying in the room, though. If there was, Hyatt wouldn't be giving status to people simply for having the WoH credit card, or two night credits for each $5,000 one spends on the WoH credit card.

Hyatt obviously wants to avoid giving out benefits when it can, but when people can get more night credits from buying a couch than from actually renting a room, it's hard to get too worked up about it.

Anyway, just as a legal matter, fraud requires proof of intent, and that's all but impossible in most of these mattress-run situations. Last I knew, Hyatt's T&Cs don't require people to present themselves for checkout.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KL808
Been doing this for years on 4 night stays. NEVER EVER, did I have a problem. Just hang the DND and mess up the bed all is good.
This. Unless you plan on staying 7+ days, I wouldn't even mention it to the desk.
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
This. Unless you plan on staying 7+ days, I wouldn't even mention it to the desk.
If you plan to stay a few weeks, I doubt they would expect you to be there daily anyway. You could just be using it as a place to stay, temporary lodging. You could still go away for a weekend.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

You guys are confusing theft for fraud. They are related but there are differences.

Anytime you lie to a seller to get something of monetary value from that seller that they would NOT give to you if they knew the truth you are engaging in a form of fraud.

Its like a mileage run where you bought the cheapo ticket and figured out how to NOT be on the plane but still get the miles and (extremely valuable) status. That’s fraud too, even though you paid for the ticket. You are cheating the airline out of something valuable.

Bottom line is this kind of behavior is damaging to those of us who play by the rules.

Man o Man what are you smoking or drinking??

I guess its also wrong if I rent a car for 1 week and drive the 3 miles to where Im staying and not use it till its time to return it. Heck others may now have to pay more for their rental. I guess youd say since I knew all I would be doing is driving it 6 miles in total Im gaming the system.

I bet you that neither the Hotel in the OPs case or rental company in mine could give 2 hoots whats done with their item as long as no illegal activity is done and they are fully paid
lsquare, 59Impala and AceReport like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
The bottom line is what you are doing is a form of fraud. You are lying to the hotel (you want them to think you are there when in fact you aren't) in order to gain a future financial benefit in the form of elite status perks which have substantial monetary value. Of course, if you want to simply be upfront with them, tell them what you are doing, and see if they care (they might not - especially if they are a franchise and not booked) then that's an option.

While 2 weeks is an outlier case that not many people would be willing to do this is not fraud. As others have mentioned above once you pay for a good or service it's up to you how you choose to use it. I'm sure that many of us have paid for hotel rooms that we didn't sleep in, i.e. a long stay where you end up sleeping somewhere else for a night or two mid stay. I once had a colleague book a >60 day stay at a hilton property so as to not need to transfer his belongings even though he probably only actually stayed in the room for <30 of those nights. That's not fraud it's making use of the service he paid for (a room) for a less usual but perfectly legal activity.

It hurts the rest of us not at all if the OP want's to pay a hotel the rate they want for a room. It's patently absurd to pretend otherwise. Unless of course me paying my mortgage for the whole year but only using my house half the time is fraud. In which case I suppose that everyone on this forum is a criminal.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Then ask them. I'll message the WOH Concierge and ask. All I'm saying to the kids reading this is that trickery, deception, lying, etc., specifically designed to get Globalist status, or ANY status of real monetary value can be considered to be fraud.
How do I block ever seeing posts from this individual again? This is beyond nonsense.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What did you do about those things after checking out?
Left them there--didn't need them. Don't know what happened to them.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Hope you remember the new 4th quarter promo begins on the second stay. Best to do your run staring with one single night, then commence your longer bundle of nights so you can earn the double or triple points
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check in, let them know you have an urgent need to go elsewhere but you need to keep the room as you may return. Follow up with an email too if feasible.
No guarantees especially if you dont leave any of your stuff in there..
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jgsx
How do I block ever seeing posts from this individual again? This is beyond nonsense.
Add user to ignore list. Click on user name. At the bottom of the drop-down, there should be the option to add user to ignore list.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I think I'm going to do that and also leave something in the room to make it very clear that I will be back. I don't want them to "do me a favor" by checking me out in the meantime "saving me some money".
Find a homeless person for keeping the room occupied!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.