FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt $250 off $500 Statement Credit Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1986925-hyatt-250-off-500-statement-credit-question.html)

hawaii2midtown Sep 11, 19 4:05 pm

Hyatt $250 off $500 Statement Credit Question

Hi all,

It's not totally clear to me whether Hyatt's new $250 statement credit on a $500 spend allows you to purchase a nonrefundable room on the Hyatt site and then have the credit post. Here are two parts of the T&Cs that make me wonder:
  • This offer only applies to Qualifying Transactions made directly at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara resorts with your Hyatt Credit Card or your World of Hyatt Credit Card during the promotional period (11/01/2019 – 3/31/2020) totaling $500 or more.
  • Offer not valid for gift card purchases or purchases made online or through third-parties.

Anyone know whether it would likely post? It's unclear what "directly at" means in the first bullet. If I call up the hotel and book a room via phone does that make a difference?

Thanks for the help!

lighthouse206 Sep 11, 19 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown (Post 31515413)
Hi all,

It's not totally clear to me whether Hyatt's new $250 statement credit on a $500 spend allows you to purchase a nonrefundable room on the Hyatt site and then have the credit post. Here are two parts of the T&Cs that make me wonder:
  • This offer only applies to Qualifying Transactions made directly at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara resorts with your Hyatt Credit Card or your World of Hyatt Credit Card during the promotional period (11/01/2019 – 3/31/2020) totaling $500 or more.
  • Offer not valid for gift card purchases or purchases made online or through third-parties.

Anyone know whether it would likely post? It's unclear what "directly at" means in the first bullet. If I call up the hotel and book a room via phone does that make a difference?

Thanks for the help!

Non-refundable has nothing to do with it. But prepaid does. I would not expect anything prepaid to trigger this credit but charges settled at the hotel should trigger it...

hawaii2midtown Sep 11, 19 4:44 pm

Got it. Is that because prepaid would be charged by Hyatt Corporate whereas what's charged during the stay would be charged by the actual hotel?

lighthouse206 Sep 11, 19 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown (Post 31515530)
Got it. Is that because prepaid would be charged by Hyatt Corporate whereas what's charged during the stay would be charged by the actual hotel?

Yes but it’s always possible you’ll get the credit for prepaid too... I just wouldn’t expect it. Most rates there involve some settling up at the time of arrival...

LIH Prem Sep 11, 19 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 31515670)
Yes but it’s always possible you’ll get the credit for prepaid too... I just wouldn’t expect it. Most rates there involve some settling up at the time of arrival...

I didn't notice anything in the t&cs that would exclude prepaid rates. What did I miss?

Aren't prepaid rates charged by the property and coded properly?

-David

hawaii2midtown Sep 11, 19 6:32 pm

There is nothing in the T&C's that specifically excludes prepaid, but I was unsure as to whether "directly" implied that only charges from the hotel (and not corporate via hyatt.com) would be eligible. It also states purchases "online" aren't eligible and since it also mentions third-party sites in the same sentence, that makes me wonder whether they mean BOTH hyatt.com and OTAs.

avatexrs Sep 11, 19 7:45 pm

Now you’ve got me paranoid. I just changed two out of six nights from an award stay to a cash pay because of the credit, at the Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana scheduled to open on November 1. Since it’s not even open yet, I wouldn’t think I could call the hotel directly anyway, and when I called Hyatt to make the change, they transferred me to the all-inclusive call center to make my reservation.

I read the requirement that the Qualifying Transaction be made “directly at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara resorts” to mean you can’t book through a travel agent or online agency or as part of a air/hotel package. I honestly don’t know what the language around not valid for “online purchases” could possibly mean. I guess I will send a secure message Chase to confirm I would get the credit for my reservation.

hawaii2midtown Sep 11, 19 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by avatexrs (Post 31515960)
Now you’ve got me paranoid. I just changed two out of six nights from an award stay to a cash pay because of the credit, at the Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana scheduled to open on November 1. Since it’s not even open yet, I wouldn’t think I could call the hotel directly anyway, and when I called Hyatt to make the change, they transferred me to the all-inclusive call center to make my reservation.

I read the requirement that the Qualifying Transaction be made “directly at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara resorts” to mean you can’t book through a travel agent or online agency or as part of a air/hotel package. I honestly don’t know what the language around not valid for “online purchases” could possibly mean. I guess I will send a secure message Chase to confirm I would get the credit for my reservation.

I've sent messages to both Chase and Hyatt. Will keep everyone posted.

hawaii2midtown Sep 12, 19 10:24 am

Bad news, guys. Here's the response from Hyatt:

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry.

Per the Terms and Conditions, a prepaid rate purchased on Hyatt.com for Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana would not qualify for the promotion.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

We value your membership and we look forward to your future stays at Hyatt.

KL808 Sep 12, 19 2:00 pm

Can one prepay Incidentals and or Excursions before arrival to a Hyatt Ziva to trigger the promotion?

avatexrs Sep 12, 19 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown (Post 31517848)
Bad news, guys. Here's the response from Hyatt:

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry.

Per the Terms and Conditions, a prepaid rate purchased on Hyatt.com for Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana would not qualify for the promotion.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

We value your membership and we look forward to your future stays at Hyatt.

I got basically the same response - reserving a room online and paying for it before arrival (which is required for the rate I got) does not qualify for the credit. So the promotion isn't worth a whole lot - the whole point of an all-inclusive is not to spend a lot onsite. I guess it would only apply to spa and excursion spend.

Colin Sep 12, 19 2:36 pm

the one night credit card deposit charged by HR Lake Tahoe appears on the credit card statement just the same as a credit card charged at check-out. such a deposit has triggered both the credit for separate Chase & AMEX Offers. reorient your think to deposit rather than prepaid. the quoted terms do not reflect the actual way it works in systems,

avatexrs Sep 12, 19 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31518788)
the one night credit card deposit charged by HR Lake Tahoe appears on the credit card statement just the same as a credit card charged at check-out. such a deposit has triggered both the credit for separate Chase & AMEX Offers. reorient your think to deposit rather than prepaid. the quoted terms do not reflect the actual way it works in systems,

That may well be true, but here's what Chase told me in writing - and I didn't even mention a deposit or prepayment:

"Let me clarify to you that you will receive a $250 statement credit on their World of Hyatt or Hyatt Credit Card after spending $500 or more at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara resorts. Further, you would need to spend $500.00 from November 1, 2019 through March 31, 2020. Since you made room reservation online with Hyatt, please know that you will not qualify for the credit."

Colin Sep 12, 19 3:07 pm

feel free to base your decisions on what you were told in writing

KL808 Sep 12, 19 3:42 pm

Im staying at Ziva Cap Cana in May, is there a way for me to get this credit, without amending my booking? Id like to maintain my 4th night free via Prestige. Im thinking of asking the hotel to charge my Hyatt visa card for incidentals, is that even possible?