Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does Globalist has a free guest (booking for 1 person, stay with 2 persons)

Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

I am not sure if this is a Hyatt benefit. I found some Hyatt place hotels, the rate for one person is cheaper than 2 persons. As a globalist, can I book for the room with 1 person and have a partner staying with me? Can we both have breakfast?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I am not sure if this is a Hyatt benefit. I found some Hyatt place hotels, the rate for one person is cheaper than 2 persons. As a globalist, can I book for the room with 1 person and have a partner staying with me? Can we both have breakfast?
Yes, I’ve booked for 1 numerous times over the years and then checked in for 2 as Diamond/Glob. Same goes for booking 2 doubles for cheaper than 1 king & then changing it at checkin. No issues or challenges ever - my impression was that my status made it a moot point for FD.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Japan and Korea would add a double occupancy charge to a booking for 1 when 2 guests are staying in the room.
ryandc99 and OsakaWino like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
SLH added a second guest charge when I stayed recently.

It's not an explicit benefit of Hyatt Globalist, so if the hotel is charging more for double occupancy then be prepared to pay more...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
US properties typically do not have extra charge for 2nd person, some Europe and Asia hotels also do not have extra charge for second person (Paris has extra city tax since it's per person). But quite a number of Europe and Asia hotels do charge extra (higher room rate) for 2nd person.

GH Taipei has higher rate for 2nd person and I was not allowed to bring a guest into GC without paying. GH Bangkok did not care when I had 3 people in the suite and all 3 had GC access and breakfast in the restaurant. PH Siem Reap and GH Bali also did not charge for 2nd/3rd person and all 3 had free breakfast.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Unlike with Hilton this isn't a benefit of the WOH program, not even for Globalist.

If the rate structure of the hotel allows a second guest FOC then they'll usually add it. If the rate changes as it is often the case in Asia then most likely you'll be charged.

That being said I never understood the urge of people being hell bent to register all guests. I usually don't bother to register the second person unless we arrive at the same time or local law requires it (Russia, China). Never had an issue. YMMV
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Unlike with Hilton this isn't a benefit of the WOH program, not even for Globalist.

If the rate structure of the hotel allows a second guest FOC then they'll usually add it. If the rate changes as it is often the case in Asia then most likely you'll be charged.

That being said I never understood the urge of people being hell bent to register all guests. I usually don't bother to register the second person unless we arrive at the same time or local law requires it (Russia, China). Never had an issue. YMMV
One reason to register everyone is in case the other person gets locked out of the room (for example, forgets keycard or it stops working) when the primary guest isn't around. In such cases, the front desk absolutely will not and should not let the person enter the room (or the lounge, etc.).
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Doesn't your spouse, partner, etc need to be registered to get Globalist breakfast benefits or Club access?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
Doesn't your spouse, partner, etc need to be registered to get Globalist breakfast benefits or Club access?
Maybe on paper but in practice no. I usually book for 2 anyway and never had a problem at the club or restaurant even if the guest isn't registered. Most of the time it's a local friend who joins for a drink at the club lounge before we head out for dinner or a colleague who stays at the same hotel but doesn't have status.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One reason to register everyone is in case the other person gets locked out of the room (for example, forgets keycard or it stops working) when the primary guest isn't around. In such cases, the front desk absolutely will not and should not let the person enter the room (or the lounge, etc.).
That's another reason why one shouldn't just register any "guest" staying over.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This exact situation happened to me 2 weeks ago. I had 2 back to back reservations which FD agent combined when I checked in. The room keys were only keyed for the first reservation, so my wife had to go to front desk to get new keys, since I was away at work. If she had not been on the reservation, then she would be locked out and be pissed at me.

Another time in Paris, my daughter arrived at the hotel when I was away, but she was able to get a key because I had her name on the reservation.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Resurrecting this thread, as I have a stay at Hyatt Regency Amsterdam, and there is a new rate that is 50 euros per night cheaper than what I have if I book as one person. 25 euros less if I book as two people.

I would definitely be registering my wife (so she can get new keys whenever needed).

Seems like opinion is split on the practice of booking for one and changing it at the desk?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Resurrecting this thread, as I have a stay at Hyatt Regency Amsterdam, and there is a new rate that is 50 euros per night cheaper than what I have if I book as one person. 25 euros less if I book as two people.

I would definitely be registering my wife (so she can get new keys whenever needed).

Seems like opinion is split on the practice of booking for one and changing it at the desk?
If you’re a Globalist and want breakfast comped then register 2, if not then 1 should be fine. Hyatt terms say to get it comped they have to be a registered guest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.