Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best/most aspirational Small Luxury Hotels for awards with WoH

Old Aug 26, 19, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I wonder what everyone might consider to be the best/most aspirational SLH properties participating with WoH (meaning you can use points for an award stay)?

Here's my list so far. Any others I missed?

BALI:

Viceroy Bali

DENMARK:

Nimb Copenhagen

FRANCE:

Relais Christine Paris
Chateau Eza

GREECE:

Boheme Mykonos
San Antonio Santorini

ITALY:

Palazzo Vecchiette Florence
Hotel Lungarno Florence
Hotel Vilon Rome
Hotel Splendide Royale Rome
Villa Spaletti Trivelli Rome
Eight Hotel Portfofino
Centurion Palace Venice

THAILAND:

137 Pillars Chang Mai

UK:

Cromlix Scotland
Foxhill Manor Cotswalds

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 28, 19 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 26, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Probably a good place to start is in the award category listing with those in Cat 8.

One that's not on your list that’s a Cat. 7 but was of interest to us was Nobu Marbella.

We passed on possibly looking at San Antonio Santorini more closely for our trip that we did this year due to the location and the fact that the award room was only 25 sq meters.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I wonder what everyone might consider to be the best/most aspirational SLH properties participating with WoH (meaning you can use points for an award stay)?

St James London
Staying there this upcoming weekend. Haven't seen anything on this forum so will report back.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Don't believe you can use points for elevated rooms, and you're not getting the full range of benefits, and I doubt they will set the aircon to 65, so not even sure why you are considering these options.

Marriott footprint!!!
Duke777 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Don't believe you can use points for elevated rooms, and you're not getting the full range of benefits, and I doubt they will set the aircon to 65, so not even sure why you are considering these options.
Thanks, but I do realize SLH hotel "participating in WoH" don't give upgraded/enhanced rooms.

Regardless, I'm curious about any aspirational SLH hotels of which I'm not already aware. Whether the entry level award room is appropriate or not isn't relevant to my query here. And I always check in advance for my air con requirements--so not to worry.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Thanks, but I do realize SLH hotel "participating in WoH" don't give upgraded/enhanced rooms.

Regardless, I'm curious about any aspirational SLH hotels of which I'm not already aware. Whether the entry level award room is appropriate or not isn't relevant to my query here. And I always check in advance for my air con requirements--so not to worry.
I just find it ironic that <24 hours ago, you were ripping into the Thompson Seattle and WOH in general for not allowing points for elevated rooms nor suite upgrades nor fully participating in WOH...and now you are back asking about properties that also don't allow points for elevated rooms nor suite upgrades nor fully participate in WOH. Oops.

#CognitiveDissonance
59Impala, hedoman and GobiFox like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I just find it ironic that <24 hours ago, you were ripping into the Thompson Seattle and WOH in general for not allowing points for elevated rooms nor suite upgrades nor fully participating in WOH...and now you are back asking about properties that also don't allow points for elevated rooms nor suite upgrades nor fully participate in WOH. Oops.
There are only 8 or 9 Thompson Hotels in WoH in North America; there are hundreds of SLH hotels throughout the world. I am aware that SLH isn a big portfolio and doesn't fully participate in WoH; I wasn't aware that the single Thompson Hotel (Seattle) was excluded from fully participating in WoH. No oops at all, really. But thanks for your concern.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post
Staying there this upcoming weekend. Haven't seen anything on this forum so will report back.
We stayed at the St James in London a couple months ago. Location wise, for us it was awesome, maybe .5m walking distance from Buckingham. Heads up, google maps took us one street too far. Our brief experiences with the staff were that they were pretty helpful.

If using points, the room we got, I would say these words fit it appropriately: “vintage,” “old,” “character,” “creaking wood.” The bathroom didn’t have a shower curtain, and was an open shower/tub combo (as you can imagine, water soaked the floor every shower). I would’ve been disappointed if I had dropped $450 a night for the room. Going back, we would stay at a different hotel, I’m pretty sure there are some others a couple blocks over in the same area.

Side note, I’m curious if the R8 is still parked on the street.
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by useyourname View Post

We stayed at the St James in London a couple months ago. Location wise, for us it was awesome, maybe .5m walking distance from Buckingham. Heads up, google maps took us one street too far. Our brief experiences with the staff were that they were pretty helpful.

If using points, the room we got, I would say these words fit it appropriately: “vintage,” “old,” “character,” “creaking wood.” The bathroom didn’t have a shower curtain, and was an open shower/tub combo (as you can imagine, water soaked the floor every shower). I would’ve been disappointed if I had dropped $450 a night for the room. Going back, we would stay at a different hotel, I’m pretty sure there are some others a couple blocks over in the same area.

Thanks for sharing. That certainly isn't the greatest endorsement of the St James as a luxury hotel. Yikes.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by useyourname View Post

Thanks for the help with expectations. We're using a free Cat 1-7 expiring night so not a huge deal since we'll be there less than 24 hours. I like the area a bit more than the Churchill and wanted to change things up one night.
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:15 am

Keemala Phuket
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:52 am

St. James London

Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post
Thanks for the help with expectations. We're using a free Cat 1-7 expiring night so not a huge deal since we'll be there less than 24 hours. I like the area a bit more than the Churchill and wanted to change things up one night.
We had a one night stay using a Cat 1-7 free night award.

The good:
-Room was ready for check-in at noon. I emailed a few days before about an early check-in but never heard back.
-Upgraded one category to the second level (deluxe room). The room had a king bed and was decent size (i.e., small like you'd expect in Europe).
-Location was very convenient and central. The hotel was located on a quiet street which we appreciated, just one to two blocks from the main strip.
-Continental breakfast included was decent to start the day. Unclear if we could've had eggs or if we needed to pay extra.
-Had free canapes and glass of champagne from 3-5pm. I believe this is temporary due to construction at the restaurant.

The okay/bad:
-Charged 5% tax on check-out along with a 12.5% service fee for the "free" continental breakfast. Breakfast was originally on bill but they removed. Didn't push on the taxes it totaled 14 GBP, but what???
-Hotel was old and room pretty beat up. Fortunately the room was pretty quiet, but it's not like the Churchill.
-The bathroom was VERY difficult to manage. The bathroom was long and narrow with the sink sticking out. A person of size would struggle to fit through to the shower/toilet. You basically couldn't stand directly in front of the sink.
-Service was mixed. One gentleman was super helpful while the others were less so. Canapes and breakfast all seemed slightly confused and we didn't feel comfortable clarifying.
-Zero mention of hyatt. We'll see if my stay posts.

Overall, we liked the location a lot more than the Churchill, but didn't love the hard and soft product. There are so many options in London, I'd stay somewhere else given the high price and points cost. I think I'll general stick to Hyatts where my benefits are clear and I can apply a suite upgrade unless an SLH is the only thing available or clearly a step above the Hyatt option.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:57 am
Suspended

Any SLH experience in Asia, like in China, Vietnam, Laos etc? Like to find some really aspirational hotels that have some true characters.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
The Viceroy Bali was really nice and their cash rates outrageous. That being said you can get something similar without the Viceroy name attached to it for maybe $200-250 in Ubud.
Old Sep 5, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
many of these are asking for premium points for reward stays - are they really worth it?

Search this Thread