Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt still blocking award while standard rate is available,

Hyatt still blocking award while standard rate is available,

Old Aug 15, 19, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The lede is seriously buried here....what is Hyatt NOT doing offering points availability for a long stay two days out in the US' biggest city in the biggest vacation month of the year?!?!
jtc246 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
GH San Francisco exclude rooms with view from standard room and essentially block those rooms from using points. I am pretty sure there are other hotels using similar tricks to "enhance" the revenue.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
GH San Francisco exclude rooms with view from standard room and essentially block those rooms from using points. I am pretty sure there are other hotels using similar tricks to "enhance" the revenue.
The games some properties play have been documented for years and at great length in various threads.

OP's complaint, however, seems to fall in the contrafactual rant category.
markko likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP I fully understand your frustrations! I too many years ago ran into it with a different chain.

What a person needs to know is what room type at a given hotel ( can be different hotel to hotel), is considered a Standard Room for an award. Now what can be confusing is eg a King Bed reg size room plain room is showing for a rev stay yet not for an award stay , reason could be its on a high floor and thusly not apart of the award rooms inventory, or it faces the river again not apart of the award room inventory, as each of those wouldnt be considered a Standard Room for awards

Its just as others have posted the games that the hotels play, but then again we too play many games that the hotels dont like
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
A trick that has worked for me with Hyatt when I've run into this is to see if I could make a reservation for two nights using points. Many times I've found that they don't allow points for one night but the same hotel will allow points for a two night reservation. Once I make the reservation I call Hyatt and have them cancel the 2nd night. Works every time.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Uh Clem View Post
A trick that has worked for me with Hyatt when I've run into this is to see if I could make a reservation for two nights using points. Many times I've found that they don't allow points for one night but the same hotel will allow points for a two night reservation. Once I make the reservation I call Hyatt and have them cancel the 2nd night. Works every time.
That is odd, because normally the opposite is true. I tried to do a 5 night stay with award points, none showed up available. But then when I did it night by night, they popped up, except for one night (of course NYE). I know that a couple weeks ago, I did a similar dummy booking and they were showing points availability for a lounge access room. So at least now I know I can make multiple reservations, 15K each for 4 nights, and the 21K for one night. The 21K would have still been great value for a 1K room (like I said, NYE).
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA Platinum
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
That is odd, because normally the opposite is true. I tried to do a 5 night stay with award points, none showed up available. But then when I did it night by night, they popped up, except for one night (of course NYE). I know that a couple weeks ago, I did a similar dummy booking and they were showing points availability for a lounge access room. So at least now I know I can make multiple reservations, 15K each for 4 nights, and the 21K for one night. The 21K would have still been great value for a 1K room (like I said, NYE).
That's been my experience as well
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
That is odd, because normally the opposite is true.
I would quibble with "normally." Minimum stay requirements are in fact one of the classic award restricting ploys some properties use, Andaz Maui being the classic example.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hyatt looking even better after the Marriott nonsense today...
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Hyatt looking even better after the Marriott nonsense today...
What did they do today? I am looking at the forum and don't see anything super egregious
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
What did they do today? I am looking at the forum and don't see anything super egregious
CC certs donít cover peak cat 5 now. Balanced peak vs off peak is at company level vs individual property. Points advance limitations. Points advance holds space but not rate.

More downgrades from the Champion of Mediocrity.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
Peak Awards. It's a sticky at the top of the page.

Another major devaluation.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
We can keep telling ourselves that it is Marriott and how bad they are, but it is terrible for all of us each time they do stuff like that because just like airlines, each time a competitor gets away with anti consumer behavior, it incentivizes others to do the same, which eventually they usually do over time.
AirbusFan2B and coffee18 like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I would quibble with "normally." Minimum stay requirements are in fact one of the classic award restricting ploys some properties use, Andaz Maui being the classic example.
Was the minimum stay thing something specific in the T&Cs for Andaz? And if you call Hyatt about how they are showing standard rooms available for cash, that doesn't help?
Sorry, my use of the term normally was based on my previous experiences looking at other hotels. I don't think I ever bothered with a dummy booking for Andaz....
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
I’m frustrated re Zilara Rose Hall. Standard room is king (“views of resort pools and gardens”). The king with resort view unavailable with points has “stunning tropical views”. Same square footage and appearance. Only actual stated difference is sofa bed but I think the standard also has a sofa bed, though it is not stated. Both allow paid booking for 3 adults. Standard also allows award booking for three adults. This sounds to me like they reclassify rooms to avoid offering award nights at prime periods. Any recourse?

Search this Thread