Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Waterfront Hotel, Oakland, CA (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I don't see any reviews or threads for this property..apologies if I missed something...?

One of the Joie De Vivre properties they integrated, it's the only Hyatt offering I see in Oakland.

The front desk claims that their globalist breakfast benefit is a $25 voucher per person per day at their on site eatery, Lungomare Restaurant. It covers two adults and two kids, but will not cover 4 adults even if you pay the upcharge for 4 adults in one room. The new WOH breakfast policy allows for this, but it's a bit jarring nonetheless given the upcharge.

Anyone have any experience with this property?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:06 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DaveH
I don't see any reviews or threads for this property..apologies if I missed something...?

One of the Joie De Vivre properties they integrated, it's the only Hyatt offering I see in Oakland.

The front desk claims that their globalist breakfast benefit is a $25 voucher per person per day at their on site eatery, Lungomare Restaurant. It covers two adults and two kids, but will not cover 4 adults even if you pay the upcharge for 4 adults in one room. The new WOH breakfast policy allows for this, but it's a bit jarring nonetheless given the upcharge.

Anyone have any experience with this property?
No experience with this property, but there is a Hyatt House in Emeryville, just a few miles away.

As a newly integrated property, I'm not too surprised they are doing things "by the book". Are you staying there ? If so, did you get the Glob upgrade ? Is the destination fee waived ?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks skj. Not staying yet, booked for next week. Destination fee is indeed waived on points, not sure for a revenue booking.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Although we haven't stayed here I've been to Lungomare a number of time. The food is so so - I have never been for Breakfast. We are usually there for the Jack London Square Tree Lighting, as their outside Patio is a perfect view and Lungomare is a nice place to have drinks for that.

The pool (although not fancy) is kind of cool because it faces the Bay. The location, being in JLS is also great if you want to take the ferry into the city, which I really enjoy and do as a tourist in my own city a lot.

Also some great wine tasting places around.

If you choose Emeryville then there is both a Hyatt House and Hyatt Place.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SF1K. I also noted the pool was salt water, not chlorinated, which is nice.

Emeryville is the opposite direction from the folks that we are visiting, so this property seems a better bet WRT location.
SF1K likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Thanks skj. Not staying yet, booked for next week. Destination fee is indeed waived on points, not sure for a revenue booking.
Actually just stayed there. Destination fee wasn't waived for revenue booking. No recognition as Globalist (the whole WOH program seemed fairly novel to them). Was able to check in early though, which was nice, but no mention of upgrade.

As an aside, the showers have large shampoo dispensers rather than small bottles (I prefer the latter) and for some reason there wasn't a bar soap provided at the bathroom sink (although one was placed there the following day).

Nice location for downtown Oakland access (and a few decent microbreweries within stumbling distance...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Actually just stayed there. Destination fee wasn't waived for revenue booking. No recognition as Globalist (the whole WOH program seemed fairly novel to them). Was able to check in early though, which was nice, but no mention of upgrade.

As an aside, the showers have large shampoo dispensers rather than small bottles (I prefer the latter) and for some reason there wasn't a bar soap provided at the bathroom sink (although one was placed there the following day).

Nice location for downtown Oakland access (and a few decent microbreweries within stumbling distance...
Destination fee waiver is a guaranteed Globalist benefit.. you could probably still get it refunded if you contacted them or even go through your Concierge.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Stayed there in July as a Discoverist.

Used Chase award night since the SF Hyatts are out of range now. Pretty cool, on the reward night, destination fee waived AND PARKING FEE waived too. Had a view of the Bay but nothing that extraordinary since you mostly see Harbor.

Didn't eat at the restaurant or use the pool. Room is average somewhat dated. Walls are thin as emphasized in a lot of the Trip Advisor reviews. Best thing is the SF Ferry is about 30 second walk from the Front Door.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Destination fee waiver is a guaranteed Globalist benefit.. you could probably still get it refunded if you contacted them or even go through your Concierge.
So it's interesting: I queried them in a couple of different ways. One response was simply, "this fee is in place for everyone" and the other was "refund is only applicable to 'eligible rates' and since this was booked at the AAA rate (on Hyatt website) then it's not eligible". First time I've ever been denied this request before...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
So it's interesting: I queried them in a couple of different ways. One response was simply, "this fee is in place for everyone" and the other was "refund is only applicable to 'eligible rates' and since this was booked at the AAA rate (on Hyatt website) then it's not eligible". First time I've ever been denied this request before...
AAA through Hyatt.com are absolutely eligible rates.

You need to contact the GM. At this point, he should do more than simply refund, you should also get some compensation now (a chunk of extra points) - as this is totally ridiculous: they have a) no right to take money that doesn't belong to them, and b) you have better things to do with your time than teach them how to follow written agreements. If that doesn't work go to Hyatt Corporate (via your Concierge would be a good start). Eventually you will get it resolved and the more steps you have to take the more compensation they should rightfully provide to you. Following the WOH Terms is NOT optional - it is a legal document. They clearly have training issues, and your escalating the matter as far as you need to go will make sure appropriate training is done.

BTW... looks like the GM is this guy:
https://www.hospitalitynet.org/appoi.../79018281.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SF1K. I also noted the pool was salt water, not chlorinated, which is nice.

Emeryville is the opposite direction from the folks that we are visiting, so this property seems a better bet WRT location.
Just a promised follow-up...we ended up doing the Emeryville property after all, which was a typical friendly, well-run HH location. Bonus was the Trader Joe's 3 blocks away, given the full kitchen at HH.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Stayed at The Waterfront on an annual category 4 Free Night. As a Lifetime Globalist I was upgraded to a nice water view Suite. They didn't waive the valet parking fee, but I was in a hurry so didn't bother to ask if it would be waived.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/2 - 11/3

Location: The hotel is located at Jack London Square, just south Oakland's Embaracadero. Nearby are a number of restaurants and bars and the neighborhood is slowly turning itself around. I walked the half mile from the train station and it didn't seem unsafe but it's not the greatest place to spend time. 12th Street/Oakland Downtown BART station is about .7 miles away and there are a bunch of buses around here too. It's easy to get different places in the Bay from here but it's not the best for going into The City.

Hotel: I didn't know what to expect and this is certainly a strange building. It's a rambling six story construction that spans half a block. The lobby is in the west building along with not much else and in the east building is a restaurant and some event space. Both buildings are not connected upstairs. They have an outdoor heated pool, free lobby coffee and a fitness center.

Check In: I was offered a 2 PM checkout which was as far as it went for any Discoverist recognition. The staff were friendly though.

Room: I booked a room described as "one queen" and I got what seemed to be a junior suite. There was a table with chairs, couch, bed, desk and a single TV as well as a nice balcony over looking the square. The bathroom was like the rest of the room, somewhat old and while not in disrepair, feeling like it could use an update. Also I can say this, soundproofing is nonexistent. I could hear every word from the people next door, every note of music from the restaurants in the square and every single train that went by.

Urban Destination Fee: It's $15 and gets you nothing, it's a scam like most of these fees especially as since when did Oakland because any kind of "destination"?

Overall the hotel is fine if you want the location but it's old and feels it.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I walked the half mile from the train station and it didn't seem unsafe but it's not the greatest place to spend time.
Compared to what? It's reasonably safe, and there are numerous restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues, including the bay area's premier jazz venue, Yoshi's. It's also freeway convenient and a very short drive to OAK. Plus you're right on the water, with nice views across the bay.

Originally Posted by CMK10
12th Street/Oakland Downtown BART station is about .7 miles away and there are a bunch of buses around here too. It's easy to get different places in the Bay from here but it's not the best for going into The City.
You left out the direct ferry service to SF. The frequency is good and it's only a 30 minute ride. Certainly more pleasant than being jammed into a packed BART car or stuck in the bay bridge toll plaza. San Francisco Bay Ferry

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this hotel, but there's arguably no better area to stay in the east bay than Jack London Square.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Compared to what? It's reasonably safe, and there are numerous restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues, including the bay area's premier jazz venue, Yoshi's. It's also freeway convenient and a very short drive to OAK. Plus you're right on the water, with nice views across the bay.

You left out the direct ferry service to SF. The frequency is good and it's only a 30 minute ride. Certainly more pleasant than being jammed into a packed BART car or stuck in the bay bridge toll plaza. San Francisco Bay Ferry

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this hotel, but there's arguably no better area to stay in the east bay than Jack London Square.
Compared to places with street lighting. I walked down 2nd Street which has no lighting. And I wasn't aware of the ferry, that's a good point. Though "arguably no better area to stay in the east bay than Jack London Square" is what I would call pretty faint praise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.