Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Waterfront Hotel, Oakland, CA (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waterfront Hotel, Oakland, CA (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Compared to places with street lighting. I walked down 2nd Street which has no lighting.
So you are dismissing JLS based on a lack of street lighting on the single street you walked down? As opposed, for example, to the quality of the nearby restaurant and entertainment options? I guess it's good for the readers of your review to know the bases for the opinions offered.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Though "arguably no better area to stay in the east bay than Jack London Square" is what I would call pretty faint praise.
And now we're dissing the entire east bay. Awesome.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:13 am
FT

Any recent stays at this hotel? I prefer this location compared to either the HH or HP in Emeryville. Hotel seems dated from the pics, but it may be the nautical theme throwing me off. Considering staying in SF and taking Bart the 2 stops to get where I ultimately need to get to in Oakland.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
And now we're dissing the entire east bay. Awesome.
You think "East Bay" is just Oakland? Or the area around Oakland?
East Bay goes down to Fremont, below which is South Bay. Dublin/Pleasanton is East Bay and developing quite a bit. Walnut Creek is East Bay.
Why do you say Jack London Square is the best location in the entire East Bay? You have been to the entire East Bay? I bet you haven't even been to most cities in the East Bay. Broad strokes ...

But I'd say there isn't much reason to go to Oakland anymore. If you want to suffer the crime and deal with the (decent) chance your car gets broken into you might as well go to SF. If you want good food there are plenty of places not in such dangerous urban areas (I always thought Everett and Jones was the best BBQ, but had a chance to experience it in other parts of the country and it doesn't even compare). And if not dangerous just plain dirty. A friend commented that Chicago is much cleaner than California-I was surprised, but his explanation was that the wind blows all the trash away.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You think "East Bay" is just Oakland? Or the area around Oakland?
No I don't and I don't really understand your comments or why you found it necessary to respond to a 2019 post, let alone without apparently even reading or understanding the comments.
You have been to the entire East Bay? I bet you haven't even been to most cities in the East Bay.
I've absolutely been to every city in the east bay, many times. I was born in Berkeley and have lived in the bay area for over forty years.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:58 am

I've absolutely been to every city in the east bay, many times. I was born in Berkeley and have lived in the bay area for over forty years.
Would you still say that Jack London Square is a good place to go? After early 2020 I've never really been in Oakland, and from all the stuff in the news don't plan on going there anytime soon.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:13 am

Would you still say that Jack London Square is a good place to go? After early 2020 I've never really been in Oakland, and from all the stuff in the news don't plan on going there anytime soon.
I've been advising people not to come to Oakland or SF unless it's necessary travel. Neither has been an especially nice place to visit during the pandemic, though there's hope that with the June 15 reopening the situation will improve.

Jack London Square itself is fine. But you don't have to wander far to find homeless encampments.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS peasant, WoH Globalist
But you don't have to wander far to find homeless encampments.
There’s adventure around every corner in the Bay Area.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveH
I don't see any reviews or threads for this property..apologies if I missed something...?

One of the Joie De Vivre properties they integrated, it's the only Hyatt offering I see in Oakland.

The front desk claims that their globalist breakfast benefit is a $25 voucher per person per day at their on site eatery, Lungomare Restaurant. It covers two adults and two kids, but will not cover 4 adults even if you pay the upcharge for 4 adults in one room. The new WOH breakfast policy allows for this, but it's a bit jarring nonetheless given the upcharge.

Anyone have any experience with this property?
In case anyone is curious, as of December, they still only have the $25 per day breakfast benefit per room (with two guests). Restaurant was closed, so breakfast was from a coffee bar (overnight oats and reheated breakfast sandwiches). $25 definitely wasn't enough for two people. Quite the opposite experience vs. our stay a few nights before at Grand Hyatt SFO where we had a wonderful breakfast buffet. Another odd thing happened here -- I saw in the app we had been pre-upgraded as Globalists to an ocean view suite, but then once we checked in had been downgraded to a regular suite. We didn't really care since it was a very brief stay, but first time I had seen that happen. Must have gotten a last minute suite sale or something.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
I stay here 6-8 times a year as my company is nearby. I have never been pre-upgraded, only offered upgrades upon checkin, and only to rooms with a water view and/or balcony. Several times lately, they will have suites available for sale, but will not put me in one of them. I even asked if they had a policy against giving Globalists suites, and they made up an answer about them "not being available". I'm glad to see that someone got a suite oc2005 !
olouie likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005
In case anyone is curious, as of December, they still only have the $25 per day breakfast benefit per room (with two guests). Restaurant was closed, so breakfast was from a coffee bar (overnight oats and reheated breakfast sandwiches). $25 definitely wasn't enough for two people. Quite the opposite experience vs. our stay a few nights before at Grand Hyatt SFO where we had a wonderful breakfast buffet. Another odd thing happened here -- I saw in the app we had been pre-upgraded as Globalists to an ocean view suite, but then once we checked in had been downgraded to a regular suite. We didn't really care since it was a very brief stay, but first time I had seen that happen. Must have gotten a last minute suite sale or something.
Similar experience. Recent stay had water view suite in app but downgraded to regular water view room at check in. Suites showed in app to book so not sure what the issue was. One night so wasnt going to fight it, but hotel and staff seem to go out of there way to erode benefits. The breakfast coupons say $25 per person, but its actually $25 per room. Even though the coupon said $25 per person the hotel said they dont have to honor it. I knew that from my last stay but one would think they would at least get new coupons.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
I stay here 6-8 times a year as my company is nearby. I have never been pre-upgraded, only offered upgrades upon checkin, and only to rooms with a water view and/or balcony. Several times lately, they will have suites available for sale, but will not put me in one of them. I even asked if they had a policy against giving Globalists suites, and they made up an answer about them "not being available". I'm glad to see that someone got a suite oc2005 !
Wow I feel special now! If it makes you feel better, unless you need the space, you may be better off with a water view vs. a suite. Wasn't a true suite (no separation of the bedroom) -- more of a large L shape room with a bed, large round table with chairs, sitting area with couches, and a long hallway. We had a view of the square which had a big Christmas tree along with the sadly expected homeless population. Hotel served its purpose for a one night stay and was fairly convenient flying out of OAK, but wish the East Bay had some better Hyatt's to choose from -- they seem to be building a real concentration of mediocre hotels around there.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by oc2005
Wow I feel special now! If it makes you feel better, unless you need the space, you may be better off with a water view vs. a suite. Wasn't a true suite (no separation of the bedroom) -- more of a large L shape room with a bed, large round table with chairs, sitting area with couches, and a long hallway. We had a view of the square which had a big Christmas tree along with the sadly expected homeless population. Hotel served its purpose for a one night stay and was fairly convenient flying out of OAK, but wish the East Bay had some better Hyatt's to choose from -- they seem to be building a real concentration of mediocre hotels around there.
New Kissel Uptown Oakland opening next week https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-oakland/oakub
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
New Kissel Uptown Oakland opening next week https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-oakland/oakub
Wow, that looks promising!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Category 5, naturally.

A family member liked the Best Western a couple miles south.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here last night, just fine for a Globalist. Upgraded to Junior Suite, which is a really big normal room. Double windows make it very quiet even with the trains down the street. To go breakfast for 4 at the cafe and valet parking (on award stay) were all taken off the bill as expected. Not fancy, just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.