Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had an award stay and used a TSU to confirm a Thompson Suite upgrade. At check in, around 3:45pm (posted check in is 3pm) the room was not ready. It was explained that they did me a favor by upgrading me to the Thompson Suite, which had just become available. I'm not sure if there was a mistake and the suite was never reserved or what happened - the TSU also never was taken from my account.

Some folks above mentioned getting upgraded to one bedroom villas - there was availability when I checked in but no further upgrade was offered and I didn't ask.

The room is a good size and the views are great. Some parts of the room and property are showing age.

There was a strong sewage smell in one of the bathrooms that got so bad at one point that we closed the door and stuffed a towel in the space under the door to keep the smell out of the bedroom.

The property is nice but a little small. In general I don't mind the compact size, but since the hotel is secluded, it would be nice to have more space to roam. The beach is not swimmable. Gym requires reservations in the morning, it's on the smaller side with limited equipment.

It's a 10-15 minute Uber ride to get into town (75-90 minute walk), but Ubers weren't always available.

Service was very good and the food quality at the various outlets was high. The roof bar is great and for whatever reason the prices there for the same items are slightly less than elsewhere on property.

Good redemption value overall, especially if you get a suite, but I'm not sure that I'd be back to Cabo much in the future. There are not many land activities or attractions, and for this property in particular, the lack of ocean swimming and inability to walk anywhere off property are big minuses for me. I think if I did return to Cabo I would look more at properties on the swimmable beach between the Mykonos and Breathless resorts.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
How long did you book the suite in advance? I didn't see any suite options in points, just the basic room.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stmadfish
How long did you book the suite in advance? I didn't see any suite options in points, just the basic room.
~2 months, but when I first booked it was only available for part of the stay. I had to keep checking daily to see if it would open up for the other nights, and fortunately it did.

There are only five Thompson Suites in the property, so it's not easy to book.
stmadfish likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Incredible Stay

One of my favorite uses of Hyatt points to date. We burned 50k on two nights here over NYE, at a rate around 4 cpp. A lot of cancellations last minute due to Omicron, apparently, so we took advantage of a reasonably priced flight from PHX.

breakfast on Sunday was a full buffet, a pretty incredible spread as you’ll see in the video. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a very nice room. I prefer a closed off bathroom, but that’s the style here at Thompson. Property and service top notch. Full tour below.

nmoe and atlion25 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Southwest, AA, Starwood, MR
Originally Posted by tex1721
Dining nearby (outside of the hotel) is not really a thing. The hotel is a bit isolated and there is not really anything within walking distance. Although, Sunset Monalisa is great and very popular, within walking distance and you can see it from the hotel. When we were at the hotel, we had dinner one night at the Rooftop (which I highly recommend for the sunset pics). Drinks were good, food was good as well, though it is more tapas style. Popcorn shrimp is a must!

Another night we went to the Waldorf and ate at El Farallon... very good and well worth the price. The Waldorf property is outstanding and sea lions came up the beach. Again, sunset dining is a must here, same as Monalisa.

You could also hit downtown up for food, The Office etc. in town is about a 10-minute taxi ride from the hotel. Downtown/the marina in Cabo in early Oct. was a ghost town so I don't know how much nightlife has returned since that time. Mall was still closed so things were 'limited' in terms of activities.

The hotel does not offer a complimentary shuttle... you have to uber or taxi to everything. Uber will be much cheaper than a taxi.
Originally Posted by navatwal
Thank you for the tips, I have two weeks split between the Cape and then the Waldforf therefore need to find alternative dining options nearby, as long as Uber is safe then we should be good.
Anyone have recent experience with Uber availability? Unfortunately, not a Globalist here, so it would really pain me to book a points stay then have to spend $60/pp for breakfast plus at least that for dinner if we eat all meals at the hotel. Considering staying at a much cheaper place night 1 (someone on here mentioned Hyatt Place I think) within walking distance of a grocery to stock up on food/drinks before Ubering to the Cape for nights 2+. If anyone has tips on where to eat off-property or how to avoid all $60pp+ meals, I'm all ears.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by lsprice
Anyone have recent experience with Uber availability? Unfortunately, not a Globalist here, so it would really pain me to book a points stay then have to spend $60/pp for breakfast plus at least that for dinner if we eat all meals at the hotel. Considering staying at a much cheaper place night 1 (someone on here mentioned Hyatt Place I think) within walking distance of a grocery to stock up on food/drinks before Ubering to the Cape for nights 2+. If anyone has tips on where to eat off-property or how to avoid all $60pp+ meals, I'm all ears.
Ubers were readily available and very cheap when I was there last June. As far as food goes, I don't think it's possible to stay at The Cape without spending $100+ per person per day, especially if you don't receive the comped Globalist breakfast. And if you drink alcohol, you could be looking more at $200 per person a day. You could stay at The Hyatt Place the first night and stock up on some goods at the nearby grocery store but depending on how long your stay is at The Cape, you will still need to eat a few meals at the high end restaurants on property. And you'll want to. The food at The Cape is fantastic. And keep in mind, the in room mini fridge is small and already stocked so there's not a good place to store items that need to be refrigerated.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Agree with FlyHappy33's points. There's a convenience store a long block from the hotel. And we found Uber readily available and very affordable all the times we've stayed at the Cape. Cabo has a great food scene so I spend as much money away from the property as on it. But I know some have spoken of places they like that are much more affordable.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHappy33
Ubers were readily available and very cheap when I was there last June. As far as food goes, I don't think it's possible to stay at The Cape without spending $100+ per person per day, especially if you don't receive the comped Globalist breakfast. And if you drink alcohol, you could be looking more at $200 per person a day. You could stay at The Hyatt Place the first night and stock up on some goods at the nearby grocery store but depending on how long your stay is at The Cape, you will still need to eat a few meals at the high end restaurants on property. And you'll want to. The food at The Cape is fantastic. And keep in mind, the in room mini fridge is small and already stocked so there's not a good place to store items that need to be refrigerated.
We were there early December. Ubers were definitely a bargain compared to taxis but we often had long waits. On the day we checked out to spend a couple of nights at the Waldorf, the Uber app initially said a 10 minute wait then changed to 30 minutes. We ended up taking a taxi as we didn’t want to wait. We are globalist and had the buffet breakfast which was my favorite meal of the day! If I wasn’t Globalist I’d perhaps book on a prive rate if the standard rate isn’t too high. Or I’d be more apt to pay for breakfast and go elsewhere for dinner. The other issue with The Cape is that it’s isolated and not accessible without driving to other restaurants.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:03 am

I found Uber availability quite spotty - you could easily wait upwards of 30 minutes for a car.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Just got back from a 4 night stay. Used a Globalist TSU. Highly recommended as the one bedroom thompson suite is a true suite with half-bath, separate living room, over-sized balcony, and just a lot of space in general. The hotel was extremely full so on my last night (booked with a 1-7 certificate), we unfortunately had to move. Luckily, thanks to being Globalist, even that was upgraded to a junior suite. Still a nice room, but just one big room with a balcony of 4 windows instead of 5 (still bigger than a standard room).

This was my 2nd stay at the hotel. The first was in the 3 bedroom penthouse villa in prime Covid January 2021 when the resort was dead empty. Now there were weddings a plenty, really loud DJs, lots of meathead tattoos, etc. Still an amazing hotel if you don't mind this type of vibe.

The pool bar service is fantastic, fast, and friendly. Decent selection of sippable mezcal if you enjoy drinking mezcal straight (which I do). When a mezcalerita is $18 made with junk mezcal (not even Unión...worse stuff than that) or a decent 30ml glass of mezcal is $20 (Sacapalabras), give me the latter any day.

The globalist breakfast is still AMAZING and there are some new (to me) items on the menu. Try the chorizo and turkey croque madame - it is incredible. The chipotle lobster benedict lived up to my memory's expectations as well. Although they tell you one drink, one entree, and fruit is included for globalists, really everything is as long as you don't go overboard. My breakfasts each day were around or over $100 (my wife, myself, and my 2 year old who always ordered her own adult-sized entree), and everything was comped.

Happy to answer any questions, but overall, this is an incredible hotel to redeem points and utilize your 1-7 certificate even though it's a category 6. You're still getting extremely good value given the cash rates.
Hi Daftryan!
Thanks so much for this review, I happen to be in the exact same situation as you, I have 4 nights booked on point in the Thompson suite, and the 5th in a 1-br villa as the suite wasn't available.
I was wondering where in the hotel the thompson suites are situated, as I am quite afraid of loud music from the rooftop?

Thanks a lot!
Ben.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Agree with FlyHappy33's points. There's a convenience store a long block from the hotel. And we found Uber readily available and very affordable all the times we've stayed at the Cape. Cabo has a great food scene so I spend as much money away from the property as on it. But I know some have spoken of places they like that are much more affordable.
Hi SanDiego1K, any particular away-from-property restaurant you recommend?
Also, completely unrelated, but since you mention Uber, I've read that uber isn't available from the airport, do you concur?

Last edited by Benjh; Jan 21, 2022 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:19 am

I thought the TSU only applied to a standard suite? The Thompson suite is standard while the one bedroom is premium. Was there anything special that needed to be done in order to get the 1 bedroom? Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Benjh
Hi Daftryan!
Thanks so much for this review, I happen to be in the exact same situation as you, I have 4 nights booked on point in the Thompson suite, and the 5th in a 1-br villa as the suite wasn't available.
I was wondering where in the hotel the thompson suites are situated, as I am quite afraid of loud music from the rooftop?
The Thompson Suites are located in a stack that's under the rooftop bar. I was on the third floor and didn't really hear any noise from the rooftop. There are reviews above saying that if you're on the top floor (5), it's worse, since the bar is directly above you.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance
“Premium Suite” - would this be for the penthouse?!

I just found a 50k “Premium Suite Free Night”… could this be the penthouse or is a villa considered premium?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Benjh
Hi Daftryan!

Thanks a lot!
Ben.
We were on the third floor and could not hear the rooftop music. That said, I actually slept better in the junior suite on our last night which is one tower over and not under the rooftop bar. I don't think it was because of music or anything, but more just my body takes time to get accustomed to a hotel bed.
Benjh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.