Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 12, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by RioAg
New menu (no sushi) and $$$$ as you can imagine. The food was great, but we were looking forward to just getting some sushi and drinks.
Yeah $32 + 30% tax & included gratuity = $42 cheeseburgers. And I still ordered it. Food price wise this place really is the same league as Hawaii. You can get cheaper tacos etc in town, which we did one night, but most of the higher end restaurants are not far behind in terms of price.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Food price wise this place really is the same league as Hawaii.
It's actually worse. Same with Mayakoba. And at least in Hawaii the prices can be partially justified by labor costs. Here it's just price-gouging.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:05 am

I think the pool prices are good/in line with what they should be with the quality of food. Manta/The Sunken Bar (now that Manta has taken over) is run by a well known Chef that was featured on Chef's Table... so, you'd figure those prices would be very high.

Sushi at the Sunken Bar was a perfect ending to the day if you didn't want to have a "sit down" restaurant experience.

Love the new décor the Sunken Bar though - that is well done.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by RioAg
I think the pool prices are good/in line with what they should be with the quality of food.
No complaints about any of the food quality, even the breakfast buffet was superb quality wise. I noticed quite a few using flasks/water bottles at the pool, I suspect in response to the $12/$20+ beer/cocktail prices ($16 beer/ $30 cocktails after tax).
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Maybe it was just a bad night, but I felt Manta was seriously overrated; food and service quality were very uneven. I don't have an issue paying for a quality meal, but this one wasn't even close to worth the price.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 12:12 pm

Would be curious to see what the breakfast buffet spread is like. Agree with others that the a la carte breakfast here was awesome. It was definitely the best Globalist breakfast we've had in North America.

Will say that some local places in Cabo is not nearly so crazily priced, and has good food. But that does require you to leave the resorts.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 12:03 pm

When I visited back in February this year I thought the breakfast buffet was average (for the weekdays), they hit all the categories like pastries/fruits/savory/cereal/oatmeal/yogurt/beverages but nothing to write home about. In fact their scrambled eggs was super rubbery.

I feel bad for anyone who has to pay full price for it (US$55/person)

Maybe I went on an off day, we are going back for three nights next week and I hope they prove me wrong this time.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by famd
With the high prices here, I plan on going to the grocery store and outside restaurants, so would it be a good idea to rent a car (I've been quoted prices ranging from $150 to $300) or simply uber around?
I generally always rent a car in Cabo. The rates are typically pretty cheap, things are spread out, and pretty much every resort has free parking. Also hired transfers are very expensive relative to time/distance traveled. You'll pay more for a rt airport transfer than you will to have a rental car for the whole time. I was just there, not the Cape - stayed at the Waldorf - this past weekend and paid like $20-25/day inclusive of taxes, fees and the mandatory Mexican liability insurance with Sixt (which I highly recommend). Do not rent from Hertz.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I generally always rent a car in Cabo. The rates are typically pretty cheap, things are spread out, and pretty much every resort has free parking. Also hired transfers are very expensive relative to time/distance traveled. You'll pay more for a rt airport transfer than you will to have a rental car for the whole time. I was just there, not the Cape - stayed at the Waldorf - this past weekend and paid like $20-25/day inclusive of taxes, fees and the mandatory Mexican liability insurance with Sixt (which I highly recommend). Do not rent from Hertz.
With Sixt, do you rent through a dedicated site or just the US Sixt site?
Old Jun 23, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Six Travelers
I’ve also rented through Alamo and Cactus. I typically do a one way shuttle and spend a couple of days at the resort and then Uber to Alamo in San Lucas or San Jose and set it up to drop off at the airport.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Six Travelers
The regular US Sixt site, nothing special or complicated.

Back on topic, ms. kk and I met a couple at the pool bar at the WA that were doing a split stay, 2 nights at The Cape and 2 nights at the WA. They said The Cape this past weekend was booked out/hosting a big wedding so was loud, raucous one night and then basically a ghost town the next day. I still haven't stayed there, need to make a plan for a return Cabo trip once I get my next cat. 1-7 cert.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.