Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 28, 22, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Soriak View Post
Yikes! You just saved us from a really annoying experience. Do you have any suggestions for how to get to the hotel and back to the airport? Sounds like the trip from the hotel to the airport is possible as long as we just walk outside of the Cape property, but meeting an Uber away from the airport is probably more difficult.
We used Transcabo. Booked a week or two in advance. Good experience both times.
Old Jul 28, 22, 11:52 pm
Community Director

YDo you have any suggestions for how to get to the hotel and back to the airport?
I've used Cabo Airport Shuttle before and am using them again in a few weeks.

https://caboairportshuttle.net/contact-us/
rajanh3 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 7:21 am

Programs: United Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold
I’ve used Cielito Lindo several times. Very professional.

https://cielitolindotransfers.com/ai...ransportation/
Old Jul 29, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Yikes! You just saved us from a really annoying experience. Do you have any suggestions for how to get to the hotel and back to the airport? Sounds like the trip from the hotel to the airport is possible as long as we just walk outside of the Cape property, but meeting an Uber away from the airport is probably more difficult.
Agreed on Transcabo and Cabo Airport Shuttle - Had good experiences with these two in the past. We took a standard cab from the taxi stand this time and had a good experience with a very friendly driver. The Cape will transport you in style, but it's not worth the extra $$$ to us.
Old Aug 14, 22, 10:30 pm

While bored and searching through rates here, I noticed that it looks like they've completely scrapped the ability to book suites on points, even though they're available to be booked using cash.

You used to be able to book the Thompson King as a Standard and a one bedroom villa as Premium. Anyone know if you're able to apply TSUs here still? Big loss if not.

I noticed they also don't have any "This is a Standard Suite" language in the room descriptions, as well.
Old Aug 14, 22, 10:42 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by Daftryan View Post
While bored and searching through rates here, I noticed that it looks like they've completely scrapped the ability to book suites on points, even though they're available to be booked using cash.

You used to be able to book the Thompson King as a Standard and a one bedroom villa as Premium.
Interesting. This will sharply diminish my interest in returning. I have spent points for a one bedroom villa every time we've stayed.
Old Aug 15, 22, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You used to be able to book the Thompson King as a Standard and a one bedroom villa as Premium. Anyone know if you're able to apply TSUs here still?
For upcoming stay, we're confirmed in the Thompson King Suite on an award stay (21k per night) using a TSU. It's a ridiculous value.
rajanh3 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
For upcoming stay, we're confirmed in the Thompson King Suite on an award stay (21k per night) using a TSU. It's a ridiculous value.
Yes, I'm aware it's a good value. I used a TSU there in October to stay in the suite, and stayed in the 3 bedroom penthouse villa on points January 2021.

When did you book your suite? Was it recently or a while ago? Because right now it looks like suites are simply not available to book using points, so I wonder if TSUs are applicable anymore (and that was the original point of my post).
Old Aug 25, 22, 12:39 pm

Programs: WOH Glob
Originally Posted by Nivek23 View Post
@TIVAgal So here's what I did. I booked the 2 Queen and then called the Globalist line to apply my SUA to get the Thompson Suite. At first the agent wasn't able to find the Thompson availability because he had us down as 4. I told him to try 2 and then he was able to book us. He didn't seem concerned either (but that could be little comfort if it becomes an issue at check-in)

From a few email exchange that I had with the resort, they didn't seem to have a problem with 4 people staying in the Thompson Suite. I brought up the subject of getting a rollaway (they quoted me $50 btw) and having the 4th person sleep on the couch and they seemed fined with it. They didn't say anything to the affect that it was against resort policy so I think our chances are good. I have a stay coming up on June 27-30 2022 so can update after as well.

Here's the actual email exchange. Let me know if maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly:

Dear Kevin, Thank you for your reply. The Thompson suite, has capacity for 2 adults if we add a rollaway we could add a 3rd guest although for the 4th adult it is the sofa but I do not think it will be than comfortable. If you would like to add rollaway bed on any of the rooms this will be with an additional cost of 50 USD per night plus tax plus service.
Please let mi know what room category would you like to book..

Kind regards,

LIVIER ROJAS
RESERVATIONS AGENT
Nivek23-Any follow up on how this stay went with two teens in the thompson suite? I'd love the extra room but I think we'd need two rollaways (one for each teen) and I can't imagine they would allow that.
Old Aug 25, 22, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When did you book your suite? Was it recently or a while ago? Because right now it looks like suites are simply not available to book using points, so I wonder if TSUs are applicable anymore (and that was the original point of my post).
Already answered. We booked and confirmed SUA into Thompson Suite within the past few weeks.

Booking suite using points vs. confirming an SUA are two entirely different issues. Properties are not required to make suites available for points bookings.
Old Aug 25, 22, 5:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just returned from a 4 night stay and I have to agree with the other reviews here. We had an amazingly relaxing stay.

We purposefully did not book any activities or dining plans outside the resort. We spent our days in the pool, watching the surfers on the beach, or listening to the waves crash from our balcony.

However, we did start off a bit on the wrong foot. Our first dinner was at the Ledge. Saturdays are themed and that night it was charred & raw themed night with a fixed price menu.
The appetizers were the highlight. However, the surf and turf entree came out we were surrounded by what seemed like a swarm of flies that kept our arms busy the entire time. Not to mention at 630pm we were the only ones at dinner, which just made it all a very weird vibe. Waiter forgot my cocktail, and overall we were mostly unimpressed with the quality of the food. My wife enjoyed the shrimp, but the steak was bland and the octopus awfully boring. Because of this experience we chose to do in-room dining for the remainder of our meals.

In-room dining was not exactly a gastronomic experience, with very basic preparations for the meals. Tried several appetizers and entrees from the in-room dining menu and wasn't overly impressed by anything. I laughed when my local catch entree was farmed salmon. However, the convenience of having dinner on the balcony really added to the experience.

Also had lunch at the pool bar (point break), where their burger and poke bowl was decent. We opted out of eating at manta, but I regret not making time for this.

Where the Ledge did shine was breakfast. Every meal at breakfast was exceptional. The pastry basket was fantastic and the items changed every morning. The french toast is the best we've ever had. However, by far the best dish was the chile relleno with tomato confit that was out of this world delicious. The service was impeccable and we were greeted by name by the second morning. Five stars to the staff and chef in the mornings. Despite warnings of certain items not being covered (we did not consume alcohol, however), all breakfast charges were removed prior to checkout, and the staff usually mentioned it was all covered when presenting me with the check anyway.

Cocktails at the lobby bar were excellent. The rooftop bar makes for incredible sunset views. Pool service was excellent, but the cocktails were hit or miss.

By the end of our second day at the Cape we were already discussing our return. In retrospect, I'd give the Ledge a second chance for dinner as long as it is not a fixed price menu. Based on the breakfast experience, I know their kitchen is capable.

Enough cannot be said about the views at The Cape. Views from your balcony, lobby bar, pool, even the gym are awesome in the literal sense of the word. We cannot wait to return.

P.S. The pricing of the food & beverages was always shocking to see. It rarely made sense, but there's something about this place...
Kacee and gbongc like this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 7:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, AA, Starwood, MR
Originally Posted by kevinjm View Post
Because of this experience we chose to do in-room dining for the remainder of our meals.... the convenience of having dinner on the balcony really added to the experience.

I'm curious, did you (or has anyone else) considered food delivery? Is there an UberEats or equivalent? I get the impression food prices are pretty high here and you're captive without anything in walking distance, so ordering a nice meal from one of many of Cabo's nice restaurants to enjoy on your balcony seems like a winner.
katstarr likes this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 9:09 am

Returned from a 4-night stay there as well. Might have overlapped with kevinjm, or perhaps the week prior! Small world. Stayed for 4 nights on points (25k/night) and used a TSU to get into the Thompson suite. Absolutely beautiful room with a good bottle of (hotel-branded) tequila as a welcome gift.

We had dinner on the rooftop the first night, followed by Mantis, one day outside of the hotel (at Comal), and the fixed price menu on Saturday at the Ledge. I largely enjoyed the Saturday experience, where they have a grill and just keep bringing the things that you want. The food was really good, but service could have been better. I think there must have been some confusion among the waiters as to who was responsible for our table because it alternated between having two people check on us, and once nobody bringing our order or checking back on us until I walked up to the host to follow-up. They also charged us extra for tea at the end ($20 or so?), which seemed petty given the pricing. But I'm willing to put up with bad service when the food and ambiance are very good, and the experience delivered on both (echoing what others have said: the views are just stunning). The rooftop was a fun experience as well: great cocktails, and we only went for a quick bite since we arrived in the late evening. Also, great service. Mantis was disappointing, in my opinion: not bad, but not memorable food, and the view is basically the same as from the ledge. Very overpriced for what it is, I think. Comal was (by far) the dining highlight: a table on a cliff overlooking the sea with a beautiful sunset, absolutely stunning food, and superb service. The bill came to about $350 for two people (with drinks), so more than the hotel restaurants, but everything about it was perfect, so I think the money was well spent. I'd highly recommend making the 20-minute Uber ride there and cutting back on the hotel restaurants instead.

Loved the breakfast: the Chilaquiles with steak was my favorite. However, the prices are eye-popping, so the free Globalist breakfast is an incredible perk. Also had the burger and nachos at the pool bar (delivered to a cabana) and very much enjoyed those. In fact, I'd pick that over Mantis. Speaking of cabanas: they all had "reserved" signs, and when we first asked about them, they said we could get one for free "today." Turns out, we got one every day and never heard about there being a charge for them. So might be worth inquiring: it's nice to have the extra space and shade. Overall, fantastic service at the pool and at the hotel reception. The entire stay was super relaxing and exactly what we were looking for.

For transportation, we ended up relying entirely on Uber. At the airport, you can get one to pick you up at a small store (Oxxo) about a five-minute walk from the terminal. There's wifi there if you don't have an international data plan. The trip was about $25 vs. $75 or so for the car services. I came to Cabo after a different trip, so I needed a laundry service. I contacted Lavamaticas Ultra Clean Laundry via WhatsApp. They were able to pick up and return on the same day for $20, and they even ironed my socks. The hotel took care of the pickup & return, delivering it all to the room.

Super relaxing stay and clearly an amazing value when redeeming points and with Globalist perks. I don't think I would pay the cash rate, however -- even as a Globalist: I'd instead go to Cancun, where I've found places that are nicer and cheaper (Nizuc and Beloved come to mind), although there are no points to be earned.
Old Aug 26, 22, 9:31 am

Mantis was disappointing, in my opinion: not bad, but not memorable food, and the view is basically the same as from the ledge. Very overpriced for what it is,
Are you referring to Manta? Manta
Old Aug 26, 22, 10:15 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
When we were there in March, we ate just about every meal at Monta in the evening and found it to be delicious with very good service. I always expect resorts to be costly so for us that was not an issue. We did go one night to a restaurant in town In reflection would have preferred eating at the hotel

Last edited by martinplas; Aug 26, 22 at 5:41 pm

Search this Thread