Birthday amenity did not happen

Old Aug 4, 19, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Birthday amenity did not happen

We do a driving trip to one of the Texas resorts each year for a long weekend around our kids' birthdays.

We normally do Lost Pines, and evidently they have us flagged in the system that the kids have a birthday, and there are always food, small gifts, and some decoration in the rooms.

This year, we did Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio, and the Guest Experience Supervisor reached out to ask if we were celebrating anything or if we needed anything. I mentioned the kids birthdays being this Sunday. We talked on the phone the following day and discussed cupcakes for the boys and what flavors they might like. It was very sweet, and we had a nice conversation.

We checked in yesterday, and there were no cupcakes in the room, but I assumed they would be brought today. We didn't get them today either.

The boys have gotten spoiled by Lost Pines, so they asked this morning if this hotel knew it was their birthday. I said that the hotel did and that they might have cupcakes later. Fortunately, the boys seem to have forgotten about it, and they were happy with the s'mores and cookies we got.

I'm sure I could reach out to the person via email or to the GM who has texted me a few times to check on my stay, and I'd probably get something tomorrow, but I'm probably being passive-aggressive about it and waiting for them to recognize the error.

It is obvious they just forgot. I had also talked with the Guest Experience Supervisor about a space to do an overseas conference call late tonight, and she said she would look into finding a space. No one got back to me about that either. There are lots of unlocked conference rooms, so I'm just going to duck into one of those tonight.

So, a totally free amenity and not something I would normally expect to receive, but since we did talk about it via email and by phone, I'm trying to decide if I'm just disappointed or a little ticked. I should have been smart enough not to mention the cupcakes to the boys.

We don't really need the cupcakes at this point, and the situation is not something I would expect compensation about, but it does seem to be something that warrants feedback. I think I'll wait to see if there is a guest survey afterwards or send an email after our stay to the person who originally contacted me.
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
in my experience if you are a genuine customer and not a serial complainer, legitimate good properties actually want positive feedback about where they have failed or let you down in a timely fashion. those kind of places usually want to fix and remedy those kind of failures even if they are minor, and usually seem like they genuinely appreciate the feedback, so I would say just a brief heads up to them now would be in order. I mean promising something and then not delivering is a failure that they probably want to fix, because the kind of property that would even promise something like that to begin with is the kind of property that most likely looks to go above and beyond and when they didn't meet their own promise, I'm sure they view that as something they would like to improve upon.
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
We don't really need the cupcakes at this point, and the situation is not something I would expect compensation about, but it does seem to be something that warrants feedback. I think I'll wait to see if there is a guest survey afterwards or send an email after our stay to the person who originally contacted me.
My goto contact there is not the Guest Experience person but the Guest Services Manager (initials IV). If you need a contact, I'm happy to forward to you privately. At least in the past for me, she's gotten things done quick.

Generally speaking, I've had the reverse experience, with overall service being better there than Lost Pines, though there amenity delivery has been delayed/forgotten for me as well before. I just stopped by the front desk and say "they said were sending an amenity and it never showed." Fifteen minutes later, it was in the room.

I'll echo what the other poster said. Please do give them feedback. After some positive comments in my last survey, I casually mentioned that the gift shops seemed a bit disconnected from the rest of the resort and I had problems tracking down their in house salsa (they sell it, and I always by it) during a July 4th visit. A week later (totally unexpected), I had box on my front door with bottles of salsa, some other goodies, and a hand written note thanking me feedback.
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
My goto contact there is not the Guest Experience person but the Guest Services Manager (initials IV). If you need a contact, I'm happy to forward to you privately. At least in the past for me, she's gotten things done quick.

Generally speaking, I've had the reverse experience, with overall service being better there than Lost Pines, though there amenity delivery has been delayed/forgotten for me as well before. I just stopped by the front desk and say "they said were sending an amenity and it never showed." Fifteen minutes later, it was in the room.

I'll echo what the other poster said. Please do give them feedback. After some positive comments in my last survey, I casually mentioned that the gift shops seemed a bit disconnected from the rest of the resort and I had problems tracking down their in house salsa (they sell it, and I always by it) during a July 4th visit. A week later (totally unexpected), I had box on my front door with bottles of salsa, some other goodies, and a hand written note thanking me feedback.
Another data point...

Very similar experience. Amenity promised (they reached out to ask me what Id like) and it was not delivered at Hill Country. Happened in June. Front desk seemed pretty disorganized upon check in.

I find Lost Pines to be substantially better run.... and the rooms are more renovated.

Both are managed properties with Hyatt employees (not franchises) so I think it really is a leadership issue at Hill Country.
Old Aug 5, 19, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I'm a bit up in the air on whether I prefer Lost Pines or Hill Country.

From Houston, the drive is easier to Lost Pines, and the "junior" suite at Lost Pines is substantially larger (nothing junior about it) than the standard Hill Country suite.

However, Hill Country is closer to civilization, and it is easier to quickly run out and grab something (snacks, dinner, etc.) at Hill Country than it is at Lost Pines. We spend the vast majority of our time on-site, but the kids wanted to go play mini-golf this evening. That was a 20 minute drive and 100 restaurants to choose from on the way back. At Lost Pines, we wouldn't even have tried it.
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
We do a driving trip to one of the Texas resorts each year for a long weekend around our kids' birthdays.

We normally do Lost Pines, and evidently they have us flagged in the system that the kids have a birthday, and there are always food, small gifts, and some decoration in the rooms.

This year, we did Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio, and the Guest Experience Supervisor reached out to ask if we were celebrating anything or if we needed anything. I mentioned the kids birthdays being this Sunday. We talked on the phone the following day and discussed cupcakes for the boys and what flavors they might like. It was very sweet, and we had a nice conversation.

We checked in yesterday, and there were no cupcakes in the room, but I assumed they would be brought today. We didn't get them today either.

The boys have gotten spoiled by Lost Pines, so they asked this morning if this hotel knew it was their birthday. I said that the hotel did and that they might have cupcakes later. Fortunately, the boys seem to have forgotten about it, and they were happy with the s'mores and cookies we got.

I'm sure I could reach out to the person via email or to the GM who has texted me a few times to check on my stay, and I'd probably get something tomorrow, but I'm probably being passive-aggressive about it and waiting for them to recognize the error.

It is obvious they just forgot. I had also talked with the Guest Experience Supervisor about a space to do an overseas conference call late tonight, and she said she would look into finding a space. No one got back to me about that either. There are lots of unlocked conference rooms, so I'm just going to duck into one of those tonight.

So, a totally free amenity and not something I would normally expect to receive, but since we did talk about it via email and by phone, I'm trying to decide if I'm just disappointed or a little ticked. I should have been smart enough not to mention the cupcakes to the boys.

I'll never understand why people post long screeds here rather than take 10 seconds to contact the front desk to have their problem fixed. For all anyone knows, the contact person for the cupcake request is in a coma right now.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
I'll never understand why people post long screeds here rather than take 10 seconds to contact the front desk to have their problem fixed. For all anyone knows, the contact person for the cupcake request is in a coma right now.
My wife said essentially the same thing, and I emailed the person who contacted me and the cupcakes were in the room when we got back this evening.

However, I thought one of the main purposes of FlyerTalk was posting long screeds about small things. My bad.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
My wife said essentially the same thing, and I emailed the person who contacted me and the cupcakes were in the room when we got back this evening.
That's good.

However, I thought one of the main purposes of FlyerTalk was posting long screeds about small things. My bad.
My point was simply that if one is going to complain in only one place, it's always better to complain directly to the people who can fix the problem, especially when the problem is still fixable (e.g., when a hotel stay is still underway). From your long post above, it seemed as if you were complaining only here and not to the hotel itself.
writerguyfl and MasterPlanner like this.

Search this Thread