Hyatt Pricing Question

Old Aug 3, 19, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Hyatt Pricing Question

Maybe this is commonplace and I am just not familiar or have just never noticed but was curious what everyone thought.

I am in the process of booking a 2 night stay in Chicago in December and ran into some weird pricing stuff. It is a Saturday and Sunday night 12/7-9

If I book 2 nights the prices show $162 for night 1 and $161 for night 2. If I book them separately it shows $162 for night 1 but only $126 for night 2. It makes sense the second night is cheaper but why wouldn't it give me that price for a 2 night booking?

I booked night 1 using a free night and then night 2 using cash.

Then after booking the cash night I noticed it gave me an option to upgrade to 2 different rooms for $20 and $25 that at the original time of booking (60 seconds previously) were $40 and $50 extra respectively.

I understand the upgrade part of it I suppose, although I've only ever encountered it much closer to check in date as opposed to immediately after booking and 4 months early.

Is this normal and should I be going thru every booking day by day to make sure I'm getting the best rates?
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post

Is this normal and should I be going thru every booking day by day to make sure I'm getting the best rates?
Yes you should look day-by-day, break a longer stay into smaller chunks, stay a day longer than planned, etc. You never know when the rate will improve substantially.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
i suspect that the upgrades offered were standby, based on availability at check in.
Old Aug 3, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
i suspect that the upgrades offered were standby, based on availability at check in.
i donít think so...they seem pretty much a done deal to me
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
Maybe this is commonplace and I am just not familiar or have just never noticed but was curious what everyone thought.

I am in the process of booking a 2 night stay in Chicago in December and ran into some weird pricing stuff. It is a Saturday and Sunday night 12/7-9

If I book 2 nights the prices show $162 for night 1 and $161 for night 2. If I book them separately it shows $162 for night 1 but only $126 for night 2. It makes sense the second night is cheaper but why wouldn't it give me that price for a 2 night booking?

I booked night 1 using a free night and then night 2 using cash.

Then after booking the cash night I noticed it gave me an option to upgrade to 2 different rooms for $20 and $25 that at the original time of booking (60 seconds previously) were $40 and $50 extra respectively.

I understand the upgrade part of it I suppose, although I've only ever encountered it much closer to check in date as opposed to immediately after booking and 4 months early.

Very common for hotels to give better deals if you book night-by-night. Happens at Hilton all the time. Especially weekend vs. weekday nights depending on the hotel.

Pain in the rear, but you'll often save money checking night-by-night. And as mentioned above, check adding the night before and the night after even if not staying. That can pull down the average.

Another consideration is that with one-night bookings, if you get upgraded the first night, they are less likely to want to move you for the second night as they have to completely redo the room.

Search this Thread