Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SAN FRANCISCO: Hyatt recommendation (GH, HR, Fisherman's Wharf)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I plan to use two FFN from last year's NBT when my girlfriend and I go to SF in early May. I've been doing a lot of research on GH SF and HR SF, and from all the posts I read, I can't find anything definitive that will help me to make my decision. Can someone who have stayed at these hotels offer some additional advice for me? What we consider important are location and the "wow" factor. We probably won't stay at lounge that much, so it's not a factor. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:35 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
In terms of rooms, both are fairly standard Hyatts.

If you want to be near Union Sq, then you will want the Grand Hyatt because it is right on Union Square. The rooms are fine, but nothing to write home about.

The Hyatt Regency has a very nice and recently renovated lounge, but you mentioned you won't be staying there that much. The rooms are standard and comfortable. In terms of location, the HR is in the Financial District, but it's on the Embarcadero, and across the street from the Ferry Building, which is nice. The Ferry Building has a big farmers market on Saturdays and lots of prepared food stands. It's fun and a great way to spend a Saturday morning (although, the crowd can be a little snooty.)

Anyhow, if you're looking for a "Park Hyatt" type "wow" experience, I'm afraid you're not really going to get that at either one of these properties. Maybe you could travel down the coast a bit and use your free nights at the Highlands Inn? Early May will be the beginning of the high season and the prices will be high (and if you're shooting for a weekend, make sure to book early.)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
I stay at both quite frequently, often determined by price. As the previous poster said, not sure about the WOW factor. I would choose the HR which has nicer, larger rooms, great lobby, fantastic views of the bay, fun location to walk along the bay and to the ferry building and a much better lounge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
The standard rooms (even on the grand floors) are tiny. Their executive suites, if you use the suite upgrade, are 2 connecting rooms with a dining table and an extra bathroom in the parlor side. The staff, however, are more attentive than the ones at the HR.

BART/Powell St station is a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel, whereas the Embarcadero station is literally in front of the HR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
From a native's point of view....

I was born and raised in SF, now live just south of the city. I go up to the city often, and when I spend the night I prefer the Hyatt Regency.

Grand Hyatt:
The GH is located in the heart of the city "Union Square", this is one of the top shopping districts in the country, SOMA, Chinatown, Nob Hill are located just a few blocks away. But... the hotel is dated, and rooms are small and can appear a little worn. I called last February they said renovation was planned for later this year. . It's great location but the hotel is a dump, this place needs renovation badly.

Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero:
The Regency Club Level at the Hyatt Regency was renovated 2 -3 years ago. It's sort of like a hotel with in a hotel. The rooms have been nicely done, beautiful bathrooms with a t.v. located in the mirror. The Club Level Rooms with a balcony are the best. These rooms offer stunning views of the bay and the city. I would recommend requesting a room closet to the bay on the 16th floor, and if these are not available the rooms on the other side of the hotel have no balcony but offer stunning views of the Bay Bridge. Again I stress you want to be in a room toward the bay end of the hotel.
The restaurant and the gym have also been recently renovated. The Stay Fit Gym has been relocated to a much larger space on the lobby level.

Although you said you would spend little time in the club... The Club at the Hyatt Regency is stunning, one of the best in the Hyatt Chain. They offer a plentiful breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres, each night with a different theme. The view from the lounge would be your WOW factor. I often sit up there on my lap top watching the ships, and sail boats go by. A few times I have been up there I have heard couples cancel their dinner reservations to spend more time in the club.

The Regency is located in the Financial District on the Embarcadero, with the Ferry Building being the main attraction. At the Ferry Building there are a few nice restaurants, shops, and a Farmers Market every Saturday Morning. Many tourist and locals love to walk. Jog, skate, and bike along the Embarcadero it’s great for people watching, and offers great views of the city, and the bay.

Embarcadero Station is located right outside the hotel. BART, MUNI LTR, Cable Cars, Street Cars, and buses are located just steps from the hotel. All the MUNI Light Rail Vehicles serve this station and can take you too many of the colorful neighborhoods the city is famous for. If you’re not into public transit, cabs are easy to get . Union Square, North Beach, SOMA, and Chinatown are about a 20 -30 minute walk from the hotel

Sorry for the long reply, but I know and love this city, and have spent time at both hotels. I hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Mar 30, 2010 at 11:57 am
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

As others have posted, it really depends on your taste in location. I have stayed at both multiple times and always receive excellent service. I found a much better rate for next week at the Grand and will be staying there for two nights. I do like the Union Square location.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
I have stayed at both quite a few times. The Grand Hyatt is in need of a renovation. The rooms are dated. I would stay at the Hyatt Embarcadero - it's a short walk to Union Square. I was just at the Grand Hyatt in February and the HR a few months prior to that.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Considering the prices at the moment, I would recommend the former Park Hyatt San Francisco, now the Le Meridien San Francisco.

One of the biggest Hyatt supporters out there, but as pointed out by some other posters already ( Great post Radiant Flyer ! ), neither the Grand nor the Regency are special.

Grand comes in handy, when you arrive on the tube from the airport and the renovated rooms of the Hyatt FW look very nice, but apart from that, the Le Meridien has amazing promos ( incl. suites ) and is also part of the Embarcadero complex by John Portman, who was the brainchild for many atrium structures and Hyatt architecture in general.

Save the free nights and enjoy the former Park Hyatt, another tragic loss in SFO apart from McDonald's book store in recent years.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I agree the Park Hyatt San Francisco was a tragic loss for the Hyatt Chain, it was one of my favorite hotels, I miss staying in the 18 series suites. Although both the GH and HR hotels are on the dated side. The HR, Regency Club level, the 16th and 17th is not. The rooms and public space on these floors were nicely renovated. Also the Regency Club is wonderful, during the summer they had this champagne and chocolate thing for the adults from 8 - 11 PM, it was nice, I hope they do it again.

I really hope Hyatt opens an ANDAZ or Park Hyatt in San Francisco. Of all the cities in America, this is the place for a Park Hyatt, or an ANDAZ.

Originally Posted by FD1971
Considering the prices at the moment, I would recommend the former Park Hyatt San Francisco, now the Le Meridien San Francisco.

One of the biggest Hyatt supporters out there, but as pointed out by some other posters already ( Great post Radiant Flyer ! ), neither the Grand nor the Regency are special.

Grand comes in handy, when you arrive on the tube from the airport and the renovated rooms of the Hyatt FW look very nice, but apart from that, the Le Meridien has amazing promos ( incl. suites ) and is also part of the Embarcadero complex by John Portman, who was the brainchild for many atrium structures and Hyatt architecture in general.

Save the free nights and enjoy the former Park Hyatt, another tragic loss in SFO apart from McDonald's book store in recent years.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:40 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I agree the Park Hyatt San Francisco was a tragic loss for the Hyatt Chain, it was one of my favorite hotels, I miss staying in the 18 series suites. Although both the GH and HR hotels are on the dated side. The HR, Regency Club level, the 16th and 17th is not. The rooms and public space on these floors were nicely renovated. Also the Regency Club is wonderful, during the summer they had this champagne and chocolate thing for the adults from 8 - 11 PM, it was nice, I hope they do it again.

I really hope Hyatt opens an ANDAZ or Park Hyatt in San Francisco. Of all the cities in America, this is the place for a Park Hyatt, or an ANDAZ.
I miss the PH SF very much also - stayed there probably 75 times over a period of 15 years or so. Have not stayed at the HR since the renovation of a few floors. Agreed that the GH is "tired" but they are supposed to renovate this year.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a PH or even an Andaz - rates attainable in the SF would not justify such a property. LeMeridien (the former PH) weekend rates hover close to $100.
Old May 23, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Nice family Weekend in SF. Which property?

Choices are GH SF, HR SF or Hyatt Fisherman's wharf. Which would you recommend for a nice family (without children) weekend stay (potentially on FFN stay). Luxury, peace quiet and comfort are of some importance. Thanks for your recommendations.
Old May 23, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: Not Worthy...
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency SF a few weekends back with my wife on a FFN as a Platinum. They were nice enough to upgrade us to a suite, (though we did show up in a tuxedo and wedding dress).

The hotel was exceptionally quiet and the atmosphere inside was definitely peaceful. The room we had, an Embarcadero Suite was very nice, but a little bit loud during the day/evening as street traffic below was often fire engines and police sirens. We walked the 20 minutes down to Fisherman's Wharf for dinner, but there was a variety of interesting places at Embarcadero Center.

I read reviews of the Grand Hyatt and it seems like a convenient location, but some reviews on tripadvisor said the interior was dated. I can't say much else about it though. I am sure it is equally as nice as the HR

Over at the boarding area blogs Loyalty Traveler did a review of his recent stay at Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf.

Perhaps someone has something nice to say about the Grand Hyatt though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:10 pm

Since you're a Diamond member, I'd recommend the HR. The RC Lounge is great and you will have spectacular views of the bay. The lobby is huge and I don't think you'll have any problems with noise. On my stay, there was a high school prom going on and I had no issues. There is even a TV in the bathroom mirror. It was pretty awesome.

The Fishermans Wharf property is nice but there isn't much of a lobby and there's no lounge. You're only a couple of blocks away from the Wharf and Pier 39.

I haven't stayed at the GH though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MMSB01
...Perhaps someone has something nice to say about the Grand Hyatt though.
Not really. Stayed there 3 weeks ago, was unimpressed. Staff was friendly to be sure, but the property is dated and the corner room I was upgraded to was completely unremarkable. It's quite similar in many ways to the GH NYC, minus the 2 story lobby. I believe the GH is slated for a major renovation starting later this year; it needs it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The HR is fairly well commented on, so I'll comment on the Grand Hyatt (nee the Hyatt on Union Square). The hotel (somewhere around 38 stories tall, if memory serves) was built in the mid-1970s on the site of the historic Plaza Hotel and the El Padrino Room restaurant. I stayed a number of times in the first two decades after its opening, but not recently, so I can't offer opinions on the current physical state of the property. There are some very nice views from many rooms on the upper floors.

Its main asset, as the original name attests, is its location facing the northeast corner of Union Square. If a major focus of the weekend is shopping, the location works very well. The Chinatown Gate is just a few short blocks away, and access to the cable car lines is just a block away.

If driving, parking is expensive. If in-and-out access to the car is NOT the city-owned Sutter-Stockton Garage is diagonally across the street from the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.