Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

gift idea to front desk employees

Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Any recommendations for gift ideas to someone who provides great help? Does Hyatt have any policy against such practice/amount?
It is a Park Hyatt in China.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:40 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
The concierge in Okinawa provided outstanding service prior to my arrival, so I brought Swiss chocolate (the best obviously ) from home.

So if you speak of the FDA, I presume you experienced the service only when there, so were not in the position to bring something from home, correct?
makes it more difficult... cash is not appropriate I think, but maybe there is some sort of candy shop nearby?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've never given a gift, but I have written glowing letters to the GM on more than one occasion.
59Impala and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
+1 for sending positive feedback via letter or email.

I'm not sure where the OP is from, but tipping isn't considered appropriate in that part of the world. Expressing to management that the employee is really good at their job is much preferable to putting them in an uncomfortable situation.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by longmanzz
Any recommendations for gift ideas to someone who provides great help? Does Hyatt have any policy against such practice/amount?
I have given snacks and foods that are from North America, or desserts from local place I visited while in their fine city. Good point on the local tipping cultures of the properties in order not to offend them.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:19 am

I don't recommend trying to leave a physical gift. Lots of reasons not to do that. One of the nicest things you can do is leave a review on TripAdvisor where you specifically mention the names of the people who impressed you the most. That will get them FAR more recognition and be FAR more valuable to them long term (and their careers) than a physical gift.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to disagree with everyone so far and say that in mainland China, handing them money in an envelope will work just fine if you insist. And it's always the right size!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm going to disagree with everyone so far and say that in mainland China, handing them money in an envelope will work just fine if you insist. And it's always the right size!
What will be an upper limit for such gesture, corp or legal limit wise? For Park Hyatt?
I can try to do a wechat transfer as well
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What will be an upper limit for such gesture, corp or legal limit wise? For Park Hyatt?
The key, as they say, is to "avoid the appearance of impropriety".
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:22 am

As other people have noted, different cultures have different opinions relating this this topic. Based on that fact, I doubt that Hyatt has a policy. Instead, it is up to each individual hotel to set their own policies.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I can try to do a wechat transfer as well
If you're going to tip, better to do it in cash. The WeChat thing could be awkward, since it would presumably require the person(s) to give up personal info.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If you want to tip at the front desk to a particular employee do it in plain sight and in a red envelope. Don't try to masquerade it or do it "under the table" as the F/D area is obviously monitored and could lead the employee getting under suspicion of skimming cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.