Hyatt Place Ocean City, Maryland

Old Jul 22, 19, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hyatt Place Ocean City, Maryland

What a surprise.... This property is a brand new hotel and while it is very much like other new HPs, it has some extras that are truly nice - such as an indoor and outdoor pool, plus restaurants/shops on the ground floor.

It's right across the street from the ocean - no more than 500 feet from the crashing waves. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful.

I booked 2 rooms using a combo of points & free night awards. Both rooms were upgraded to ocean front and the view was beautiful. I also received a welcome gift basked of fruit, chips, and trail mix. I've never received a gift at a HP. We received breakfast for both rooms.

The room was a typical HP room with the bed(2) on one side and the sofa on the other. The nice bonus was a comfortably sized balcony with 2 chairs and a table between. Unfortunately, it was so darned hot over the weekend that our time spent there was limited. The A/C worked very, very well. Thankfully

It is also pet friendly, and our little 8 pounder loved being on the balcony looking at all the people going by. BUT, seems Ocean City is not pet friendly - no pets on the boardwalk at any time during the season. Restaurants with outdoor tables are also not pet friendly, which I found odd. I've yet to run into one that does not allow pets outdoors.

Unfortunately, we had to leave 1 night early, leaving our friends with 2 rooms, but we definitely will be back, for no other reason than to enjoy that ocean front view. It is hard to find a cat 1-4 HP in that type of location. It's nearly a resort property and at first glance, I thought it should be a Regency at a minimum, and then I realized they would have to charge a fortune for it (rooms in summer start at $450) and I don't think the demographics of the area would be able to carry that sort of property. FWIW - off-season rates are around $100 a night
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:55 pm

Thanks for the review on this property. We are moving to within an hour and a half of Ocean City and was exploring the area last week and driving by this property definitely stood out as more impressive than your typical HP.
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum,Hilton Diamond,IHG Platinum,Hyatt Explorist,Radisson Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow, I was JUST looking at booking this spot with a free night cert but of course, no rooms available. My daughter will be going to college somewhat nearby.

I thought this was on the boardwalk.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:19 am
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
Wow, I was JUST looking at booking this spot with a free night cert but of course, no rooms available. My daughter will be going to college somewhat nearby.

You can consider the street as boardwalk. We booked this hotel for one weekend, but opted to stay at Hyatt Chesapeake Bay instead. We got a lot more at Regency. They are totally different hotels. If you like the crowd, then Ocean City is the place. There is also a Hyatt at Atlantic City.

There was a longer thread talking about all Hyatt hotels near the Northeast.
Best Beach hotels in North East US

I'd recommend the mods to combine this with that thread. IMO.
Old Jul 23, 19, 11:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum,Hilton Diamond,IHG Platinum,Hyatt Explorist,Radisson Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
You can consider the street as boardwalk. We booked this hotel for one weekend, but opted to stay at Hyatt Chesapeake Bay instead. We got a lot more at Regency. They are totally different hotels. If you like the crowd, then Ocean City is the place. There is also a Hyatt at Atlantic City.

There was a longer thread talking about all Hyatt hotels near the Northeast.
Best Beach hotels in North East US

I'd recommend the mods to combine this with that thread. IMO.
Ha, I actually booked the Hyatt In Chesapeake Bay using the free night cert. LOL. Verrrrry nice property. Plus, it's "on the way" home vs OC being father away.

I see it even has a little "beach". If I like it, I may make this a go to spot if I don't want OC and want to burn a cert, maybe add a night or two paid.

As far as the boardwalk, I consider that oceanfront. When I hear across the street, I'm thinking the other side of Baltimore Ave. She did say 500ft tho' so my bad. LOL
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

It is on the boardwalk. To get to the boardwalk or beach, you go to the lower level and walk out, go a few feet, and you're on the boardwalk. Keep going and your on the sand, There is a staircase to the sand right in front.
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Ha, I actually booked the Hyatt In Chesapeake Bay using the free night cert. LOL.
We've stayed at Chesapeake for a long weekend.

A word/warning about this place - it is a sleep away camp for kids that happens to allow parents to come. Everything else about the place is perfectly fine - it is a regency resort after all, but you should know that on the weekends the place is overrun with kids. We also found it difficult to get chairs by the pool because it's so crowded.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
We've stayed at Chesapeake for a long weekend.

A word/warning about this place - it is a sleep away camp for kids that happens to allow parents to come. Everything else about the place is perfectly fine - it is a regency resort after all, but you should know that on the weekends the place is overrun with kids. We also found it difficult to get chairs by the pool because it's so crowded.
Perfect. I'll have my kids.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:05 am

Ok, that Hyatt Regency Chesapeake was faaaaantastic. I'm actually glad the OC Hyatt Place was booked up.
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I made another reservation for a couple of nights for this summer. Luckily, I'm able to travel mid week and was able to use another cat 1-4 and points. I contacted the hotel, explained why I had to leave early last time, and asked to open a more preferred date for me and have the same room because we loved it so much. I offered to pay a small upcharge to guarantee the room.

I'm happy to say they granted both wishes and I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy it this time.

We'll deal with the dog unfriendliness of the area by getting take out from the place downstairs. Our friends cousin owns it and they ate there and said the food was good.

Search this Thread