Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phony "Stay 3 Pay 2" Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Phony "Stay 3 Pay 2" Rate

Looking to book the Hyatt Place Dubai / Wasl District. For many days the World of Hyatt member rate is AED 149++ (around $41; comes to around $54 all-in) with 72-hour cancellation.

When I try to book a three-night stay, it offers a "Stay 3 Pay 2" rate -- i.e., stay two nights, get one free -- and the average rate over the three nights comes out to ... AED 150++. (The breakdown shows 225, 225, 0 for the three nights.) And this rate is nonrefundable, with no additional benefits. Any one, or two consecutive, of the same three nights can be had for AED 149++ per night. (Sample dates: 07/25-07/28.) I wonder if all three of the nights in the "Stay 3 Pay 2" count towards elite qualification?

Some deal! Good lesson to always benchmark the individual night rates when one comes upon a multi-night package like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn't phony in the least. It's pretty standard for many supposed deals offered around the world by hotels and others.

Just like any other service, it pays to calculate the total cost, e.g. the total outlay for the service and then determine what is best for you.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mecabq
Some deal! Good lesson to always benchmark the individual night rates when one comes upon a multi-night package like this.
Coincidentally, I ran into this "phony" 3-for-2 rate yesterday with a chain of serviced apartments that I frequent. Their advertised 3-for-2 rate actually costs more than the cheapest promotional daily rate (and, as in your case, the daily rate is postpaid and cancelable, but the 3-for-2 rate is prepaid with no cancellations allowed).

The problem, of course, is these teaser BOGO and 3-for-2 promotions usually require purchase at full price. It's a lot of work, but I see no alternative but to check all the possible rate combinations (individual nights, long-stay rates, promotional codes) to determine the best offer for a stay.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Looking to book the Hyatt Place Dubai / Wasl District. For many days the World of Hyatt member rate is AED 149++ (around $41; comes to around $54 all-in) with 72-hour cancellation.

When I try to book a three-night stay, it offers a "Stay 3 Pay 2" rate -- i.e., stay two nights, get one free -- and the average rate over the three nights comes out to ... AED 150++. (The breakdown shows 225, 225, 0 for the three nights.) And this rate is nonrefundable, with no additional benefits. Any one, or two consecutive, of the same three nights can be had for AED 149++ per night. (Sample dates: 07/25-07/28.) I wonder if all three of the nights in the "Stay 3 Pay 2" count towards elite qualification?

No, the third night generally will not qualify for elite qualification. I definitely have seen the 3rd/4th night free promos be a good savings, but I agree you need to be really careful because they are generally non-refundable
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:18 am

I wonder if all three of the nights in the "Stay 3 Pay 2" count towards elite qualification?
In my eperience, no. I missed out on quite a lot of points once as it was my last stay within the promo period and I needed every night to count.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Often1
It isn't phony in the least. It's pretty standard for many supposed deals offered around the world by hotels and others.

Just like any other service, it pays to calculate the total cost, e.g. the total outlay for the service and then determine what is best for you.
I called it "phony" in the sense that it gives no value. There is zero possible reason to book the package in this case -- it's the same price (actually AED 1 higher), more restrictive cancellation rules, with fewer WoH benefits than the standard rate.

It's also phony in the sense that the nominal rate jumps to AED 225++ for each of the two paid nights under the "Stay 3 Pay 2," while the standard nightly rate is never as high as 225 this time of year. Yes, the standard rate can be higher than 150, making the 3-for-2 a possible value in some windows over the summer, but I have not found any time period in which the standard rate is as high as the quoted rate for the paid nights in the 3-for-2 rate. It irks me a bit (in a FlyerTalk sort of way) that they pull this rate of 225 out of thin air and claim that the third night is free.

I have booked plenty of buy-X-get-one-free packages; it's true that they are generally more restrictive than standard rates, as you'd expect. But doesn't having the nominally paid nights at a rate that is higher than any prevailing standard rate (and with the same or worse conditions) defeat the purpose?

Edited to add:

It's actually even worse. One can't even book the typical standard rate as an alternative to the "Stay 3 Pay 2." For example, over the three nights from 07/25-07/28, the member rate is AED 153++ for any combination of one or two nights. But when trying to book all three nights as one stay, the 3-for-2 package comes up as AED 500++ total (250, 250, 0 for the three nights) -- while the member rate inexplicably jumps to AED 225++ per night (675 total). (It's the same scenario throughout the summer.)

I get that hotels have various packages involving minimum stays, weekends, and other promotions, but this just seems like they were trying to get too cute with packages and did it wrong.

Last edited by mecabq; Jul 21, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you just make two or three separate reservations to get a decent rate with elite credit for every night?

Some of these promos can make sense if someone doesn't have access to member, AAA, etc. rates so that the alternative is just the normal public rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.