Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Restaurants are NOT eligible spending?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Is this true? Does restaurant and bar spending onsite at Hyatt hotels NOT count as eligible spend?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think this is true in general, but some hotels contain restaurants with no relation to the hotel other than sharing a building or being a tenant. I wouldn't expect to earn points at such restaurants during a hotel stay.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Some states have laws that forbid points on alcohol sales at hotels, so that part of the bill would always be ineligible, regardless of the restaurant's owner/operator.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Some states have laws that forbid points on alcohol sales at hotels, so that part of the bill would always be ineligible, regardless of the restaurant's owner/operator.
Ah I think that must be it..... was pool drinks.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Always bill the meals to hotel room if you can. For our summer trip, I even billed the dinner at a local joint to the hotel by swiping the hotel keycard. That resort is the only big thing in town...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by RedSun
Always bill the meals to hotel room if you can. For our summer trip, I even billed the dinner at a local joint to the hotel by swiping the hotel keycard. That resort is the only big thing in town...
What hotel was this?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zakami
What hotel was this?
Atlantis at Bahamas
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Is this true? Does restaurant and bar spending onsite at Hyatt hotels NOT count as eligible spend?
It also depends on the restaurant relationship with the hotel (I guess what is meant technically by "onsite" as well) - e.g., STK in the same building as Andaz San Diego doesn't earn points even though it can be charged directly to the room.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gengar
It also depends on the restaurant relationship with the hotel (I guess what is meant technically by "onsite" as well) - e.g., STK in the same building as Andaz San Diego doesn't earn points even though it can be charged directly to the room.
I do not know how this can happy. But I believe in you.

When I stayed at Atlantis (of course Marriott, not Hyatt), I received just one bill from Atlantis front desk including all the food and drink from poolside bars, restaurants and restaurants in Marina area. I received all the Marriott (6x) points. I also received the AmEx Brilliant $300 Marriott credit.

Same situation when I stayed at Hyatt Baha Mar. Everything earned full points.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not know how this can happy. But I believe in you.

When I stayed at Atlantis (of course Marriott, not Hyatt), I received just one bill from Atlantis front desk including all the food and drink from poolside bars, restaurants and restaurants in Marina area. I received all the Marriott (6x) points. I also received the AmEx Brilliant $300 Marriott credit.

Same situation when I stayed at Hyatt Baha Mar. Everything earned full points.
Might work because it’s in country with no law against inventing alcohol beverage consumption?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Might work because it’s in country with no law against inventing alcohol beverage consumption?
Which countries have those laws? I haven't experienced them knowingly before.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:26 pm
Suspended

I would not get the complicated stuff. There are still variables at each property and location. But in general, if you can bill to hotel room, it should be part of the entire final hotel bill. If you get a $500 final hotel bill charged to credit card, how Chase or AmEx knows which part is dinning cost?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The OP is talking about points from Hyatt, not from the card issuer.

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Which countries have those laws? I haven't experienced them knowingly before.
Here are a couple prior threads:

No GP Points for Alcohol

No SPG points on alcohol in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts or Oregon (updated)
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have found this in some places - for room service food. Hyatt Place Heathrow is an example, and it happened last week at the Harbourside, Boston too. No booze on either folio, so now I check carefully. I wonder how many points this particular issue has cost me?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
In my experience, beverages were excluded for points(sometimes even food) for most of stays even in Asia. It's not prohibited by the law, it just Hyatt does not. I have never experienced this at IHG or Marriott. Only at Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.