FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt House vs Hyatt Place (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1978187-hyatt-house-vs-hyatt-place.html)

GateGuardian Jul 15, 2019 10:50 am

Hyatt House vs Hyatt Place

Are there any advantages to staying at a Hyatt Place over Hyatt House if they're the same price and in the same neighbouhood? i.e. Bed quality, breakfast quality, points accumulation...

toomanybooks Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian (Post 31305801)
Are there any advantages to staying at a Hyatt Place over Hyatt House if they're the same price and in the same neighbouhood? i.e. Bed quality, breakfast quality, points accumulation...

IME, Hyatt House has a fresh omelette station, whereas HP does not. HH also has a bar off the lobby. Not sure if these are standard everywhere or just where I have stayed.

Otherwise they seem pretty similar to me.

UA-NYC Jul 15, 2019 11:10 am

Some HPs also have bars off the lobby.

#1 criterion for me between the two is new build vs. old build, esp. when it comes to a HH.

txhyattlvr Jul 15, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian (Post 31305801)

I prefer Hyatt Place over Hyatt House. The biggest difference is the breakfast, but I also like the standard room layout at Hyatt Place (which is basically a mini-suite). Everything else is very similar (unless you need or want a basic kitchen which you will only find at Hyatt House).

They recently upgraded the Hyatt Place breakfast and I find it to be much better than the standard Hyatt House breakfast.... for example, fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries) are now standard at Hyatt Place but you won't find them at most Hyatt Houses. Yes HH has omelets but I find them to be the most tasteless omelets on the planet. Also, my understanding is that HPs have a new type of oven installed which allows for the actual cooking of food onsite, rather than simply re-heating. Note that HP breakfast is NOT free if you book through a third party (like Expedia).

gengar Jul 15, 2019 11:27 pm

There's a huge difference between new construction vs. old/renovated, although some of the renovated properties aren't bad.

I also try to check reviews for noise issues, as some are just terribly located (e.g., HP Chicago River North ambulance noise all night).

MSPeconomist Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm

HH is an extended stay property while HP is not.

txhyattlvr Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31307998)
There's a huge difference between new construction vs. old/renovated, although some of the renovated properties aren't bad.

I also try to check reviews for noise issues, as some are just terribly located (e.g., HP Chicago River North ambulance noise all night).

I actually don't mind the old AmeriSuites HP's.... most of them have been renovated and are quite nice on the inside (even if the outside architecture is pretty blah)... I've also never experience a dirty HP.

KansasMike Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm

I MUCH prefer Hyatt Place. Newer, better designed.

davie355 Jul 16, 2019 6:09 pm

General guide from best to worst:

1. Purpose-built Hyatt House
2. Purpose-built Hyatt Place
3. Converted Hyatt House
4. Converted Hyatt Place

gengar Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 31310173)
I actually don't mind the old AmeriSuites HP's.... most of them have been renovated and are quite nice on the inside (even if the outside architecture is pretty blah)... I've also never experience a dirty HP.

A lot of these are pretty run-down IME, or at least were (I did mostly HP stays when I was last Diamond earlier this decade). I'm sure some of them are fine but it's the YMMV that is really annoying.

uppereastsider Jul 17, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31311282)
General guide from best to worst:

1. Purpose-built Hyatt House
2. Purpose-built Hyatt Place
3. Converted Hyatt House
4. Converted Hyatt Place

This. The newest construction ones are really great IMO

UA-NYC Jul 17, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider (Post 31313033)
This. The newest construction ones are really great IMO

Loved the HH in Evanston...one of the few semi-urban ones I've been to, nice new design

txhyattlvr Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31313763)
Loved the HH in Evanston...one of the few semi-urban ones I've been to, nice new design

To me, the newest versions of HH and HP are very similar in terms of facility itself. Rather bland, but certainly clean and efficient. The rooms are cookie cutter right down to the furniture. The only real difference between the latest versions of both is a) kitchens available at HH, and b) better breakfast (IMHO) at HP. It depends on what you value... breakfast or kitchens.

jn in ca Jul 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31305874)
Some HPs also have bars off the lobby.

#1 criterion for me between the two is new build vs. old build, esp. when it comes to a HH.

This.

Hyatt House is a Frankenstein's monster created from several purchases Hyatt made. The soft product should be the same, but in my experience the actual construction is all over the place.

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 31313891)
To me, the newest versions of HH and HP are very similar in terms of facility itself. Rather bland, but certainly clean and efficient. The rooms are cookie cutter right down to the furniture. The only real difference between the latest versions of both is a) kitchens available at HH, and b) better breakfast (IMHO) at HP. It depends on what you value... breakfast or kitchens.

But so many of the new HPs are the new design with the much smaller rooms with no wet bar. (Think Holiday Inn Express.) A real disappointment.

txhyattlvr Jul 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 31314030)
This.

But so many of the new HPs are the new design with the much smaller rooms with no wet bar. (Think Holiday Inn Express.) A real disappointment.

Granted I strongly prefer full service, but I've yet to see this design - can you provide some examples?