Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond

There is a press release about a year ago that it would be opening in 2015 (http://investors.hyatt.com/investor-...ault.aspx)..it was originally supposed to open in 2011

I haven't seen any news on it since then, except some job sites show some listings for the property. I will be in the city in Jan 2016 and wish I could know more about what the property will be like compared to the Park Hyatt and Capital Gate
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:04 pm
E1A

Programs: Hyatt, Starwood, Ritz, Accor, Hilton, Etihad, Emirates
Unlikely to open in time (Jan 2016). Possibly mid 2016. Location is bang in 5 star central (9 chain 5 stars in walking distance) in downtown but thats not a tourist area necessarily. All the tourist attractions are away from downtown. Park Hyatt is best placed for the museums and Yas. Capital Gate for Mosque and airport. Together the three Hyatts are in three corners of the triangular island.

Better spread than the rubbish Dubai footprint where not a single Hyatt is in a primary or even secondary area of importance (despite there being 5 and soon 6, the 7th Palm one will be the first phew)

Last edited by E1A; Mar 23, 2015 at 2:30 am
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by E1A
Unlikely to open in time (Jan 2016). Possibly mid 2016. Location is bang in 5 star central (9 chain 5 stars in walking distance) in downtown but thats not a tourist area necessarily. All the tourist attractions are away from downtown. Park Hyatt is best placed for he museums and Yas. Capital Gate for Mosque and airport. Together the three Hyatts are in three corners of the triangular island.

Better spread than the rubbish Dubai footprint where not a single Hyatt is in a primary or even secondary area of importance (despite there being 5 and soon 6, the 7th Palm one will be the first phew)
Thanks... I assume the Palm one in dubai won't be open any time soon either? I can't find a press release on it
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:35 pm

The building works look far from complete - and that's just the exterior. Interior and the snagging will be yet more work still.

Agree re. lack of a decent location in Dubai - not sure why they all seem to be centered around the Creek. Something on SZR at the very least, and even Marina, would be much more useful.

That said, I have been having a great time in the new Dubai Creek Heights property so far and willing to put up with the location.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:29 am
E1A

Programs: Hyatt, Starwood, Ritz, Accor, Hilton, Etihad, Emirates
Actually headed to Creek heights today

Palm Tiara should be around 2016 according to them. Don't see it happening though. I might add that while Dubai has magnitudes more hotels than Abu Dhabi, it still isn't oversupplied and they have good occupancy levels. Abu Dhabi already has a massive oversupply problem and a gridlocked pipeline as well (about a dozen more luxury properties opening in the next 2 years)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:15 am

Make sure to speak to the Club staff - they have been absolutely delightful to me.

Abu Dhabi seems to be more prone to spikes in demand during particular events (e.g. IDEX - Aloft going for 2000AED), but otherwise seems to spend most of the year with very reasonable rates.

e.g. rates of the two properties in Saadiyat (StR/PH) will usually be significantly less than the Jumeirah Beach-side properties of a simialr calibre (LRM/Westin).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We had a tour of the hotel yesterday - no photos allowed but it should be an interesting property.

Overview
Opening is likely Q4 2016 with rates somewhere between Capital Gate and Park Hyatt (approx 800 AED/night - my conjecture, not confirmed). The exterior of the building is complete and rooms are almost there - the public areas need more work.

The hotel is designed as a 4-storey podium with a tower on top - the podium contains reception and F&B, the residences and guest rooms in the tower. Floors 1-10 will be residential with hotel rooms starting on floor 11. Club rooms will be on the upper floors (above floor 26 I think but might have misremembered). The podium has reception, ballroom (below ground), restaurants, meeting rooms and spas. Club lounge will be an entire floor on level 25 or so with another floor devoted to other public spaces e.g., family area, women's majlis etc.

Rooms
We viewed an apartment as the show room but the hotel rooms will be a similar style. Think dark wood floors, interesting textures, good use of space but very Grand Hyatt in style. Bathrooms will be similar layout to the Park Hyatt Dubai (i.e. dividers that can close or open between bedroom and bathroom, central free-standing bath, separate shower and toilet). Toiletries will be an interesting feature and unique to the GH AUH. Best aspect for me is that all rooms except Penthouses (top floor with full length windows) have a spacious balcony.

Dining
We are particularly excited by the plan for a Japanese restaurant with both indoor and outdoor dining - can't wait to sit outside in the private cabana style areas, surrounded by gardens enjoying fresh sushi and teppanyaki. Also interesting is the smaller Latin American restaurant inside offering steaks, Peruvian food and cocktails.

The all-day dining space is large and will have live cooking stations - Friday brunch here should be amazing. There will also be a themed bar, cigar lounge and pool-side restaurants.

Leisure
The spa and gym area will take one entire floor in part of the podium. The gym will be one of the largest in Abu Dhabi and will have some unique features, such as outdoor machines in winter. The spa will have segregated wet facilities and numerous treatment rooms, as well as a barber shop and hairdressing salon.

The hotel will have 2 pools - the first is on the ground floor, attached to their private beach. The second will be on the 5th floor and adult's only, also offering an entertainment space - drinks, music etc. The adults only pool will have great views at sunset and be a really cool party venue. Both pools will have cabanas, similar in style to Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi.

Other leisure facilities include 2 private cinemas - mostly these will be for private events but the hotel is considering regular screenings open for the public.

Overall
We cannot wait to visit the GH Abu Dhabi. The location is great, near the Presidential Palace and with fantastic views. The private beach, pools and gym along with huge club lounge and balconied rooms combine the best of the different Hyatt properties in the UAE into one. The hotel has a good management team (headed by Stuart Deeson, who used to manage the PH AUH) so service should be good. We love both Capital Gate (vastly improved this time since our previous stay) and the beauty of the Park Hyatt, so it will be difficult to choose where to stay in future. However, with 3 Hyatts, Abu Dhabi will be a great place to hotel hop in high quality properties.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:13 pm

So its Q4 and the Hotel still isn't taking reservations for the end of the year? Any update on when the hotel will open?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
Earlier this week ms. EHAM1 was at the Corniche and from what she saw the GH AUH was not ready yet to open anytime soon. Also I learned that Hyatt staff originally hired on the project are leaving. So not sure what is happening but it doesn't look good..
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by EHAM1
Earlier this week ms. EHAM1 was at the Corniche and from what she saw the GH AUH was not ready yet to open anytime soon. Also I learned that Hyatt staff originally hired on the project are leaving. So not sure what is happening but it doesn't look good..
Hmmm this doesn't look good indeed.
The fact that this hotel is not listed on Hyatt's website anymore makes me think there is a chance this property won't become a Hyatt hotel at all now.
Maybe it will be just an independent residency?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The website: abudhabi.grand.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html states "Opening soon" it it is not possible to book a room, even for January 2018.

No vacancies showing via the careers link.

Any updates from anyone including Abu Dhabi locals?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:43 pm

We stayed at another Abu Dhabi Hyatt property in December, and we asked an employee with several years of Hyatt tenure about the situation. This person told us that the Grand Hyatt wasn't going to open. No other details.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
While in Abu Dhabi last week, I heard from a probably reliable source that the management team was in place in December but that the opening had not happened - very likely for financial pressures on the owners.

You can see the signage on the building from the IC's beach.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
According to the Hyatt website now accepting reservations as of June 1, 2018.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:47 am

By opening so late, they have lost out on the years where the rates used to hold up a lot better, instead flying directly into unprecedented low ADRs. It's a really bad time to be opening a 5* hotel in Abu Dhabi right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.