Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does a hotel property have to be open first to accept awards?

Old Jul 9, 19, 8:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The Grand Rapids Hyatt Place/Downtown is scheduled to open in September and is currently accepting future cash reservations, but no award reservations.

The "master list" of Hyatt properties shows it as a future Cat 3, but with no award availability.
Old Jul 9, 19, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tino View Post
The Grand Rapids Hyatt Place/Downtown is scheduled to open in September and is currently accepting future cash reservations, but no award reservations.

The "master list" of Hyatt properties shows it as a future Cat 3, but with no award availability.
It’s up to the property. Often properties don’t accept award reservations if they’re not 100% sure of the opening date. How often do you see a “Opening Sept” banner, only to have them open in December.
Old Jul 9, 19, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
How often do you see a “Opening Sept” banner, only to have them open in December.
Of the following year...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tino View Post

No, they don't have to. There's been plenty of cases (I'd say most in fact) where the hotel opens up award booking well before it opens. However it seems a little less common that they open up awards at the same time as paid reservations.

Usually it seems like they open up cash first then at some point later they open up the award reservations. With every new hotel I've ever looked at it has worked this way - eventually they will load the award space, but generally not immediately.
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:01 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

I recall having read in the T&C that a hotel must be open before award reservations can be made, however cannot find that term any more, it may have been under the gold passport T&C.
What I can say is, that I have never seen hotels having award availability prior to the official opening.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Makes sense not to have award space until the opening date is 100% guaranteed.

Scenario 1 - you book a $200 room rate but the hotel doesn't open on time --> most guests apart from the most status-conscious WoH members would probably be fine being moved to a similar or better quality hotel at that same rate (assuming they don't just cancel and rebook wherever they want)

Scenario 2 - you book using points but the hotel doesn't open on time --> there is an expectation of a free stay using points. If there's no Hyatt in the vicinity, then WoH and the hotel are dealing with an annoyed member and potentially having to pay for said member to stay elsewhere.

Simple solution to Scenario 2 is to not take points bookings until the hotel is open...
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:57 am
Original Member
Original Poster

All of these responses make sense. I will just keep tracking it as the potential opening date nears.
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:53 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

.The T&C state that TSU and Lounge Access Awards may not be booked before the hotel is open, I didn't find anything generic for awards.

"Club Lounge Access Awards are not redeemable when making a reservation at a hotel or resort that has not yet opened."
"Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards are not redeemable in connection with hotels or resorts that have not yet opened when the Member makes his/her reservation, even if reservations for such hotel or resort are otherwise being accepted."
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some HRs for example have been known to open months before their club lounge is opened.

It could also be the case that suites are among the last rooms ready for guest occupancy, for example if the hotel is finishing rooms on lower floors first or if the suites require specialty construction and furnishings.

BTW for Grand Rapids (Michigan) Downtown HP I see award availability for a random Sunday night in November for 12,000 points. It's website claims that opening day is September 10th.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 10, 19 at 9:23 pm
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Encountered same problem recently in Metairie, LA involving a new Marriott property opening a block from where my wife was to spend a work week at a workshop. Not ready to open when we sought an "award" stay, it was up & running when we arrived in town & seemed to have been for a few weeks, dooming us to use a property (a) requiring morning & evening drives to/fm the site, plus paying for parking (valet only) & tips. Another strike against "Non-Bono-Voy"......
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TMOliver View Post
Encountered same problem recently in Metairie, LA involving a new Marriott property opening a block from where my wife was to spend a work week at a workshop. Not ready to open when we sought an "award" stay, it was up & running when we arrived in town & seemed to have been for a few weeks, dooming us to use a property (a) requiring morning & evening drives to/fm the site, plus paying for parking (valet only) & tips. Another strike against "Non-Bono-Voy"......
For each person who complains that a hotel isn't ready for awards, there's some other "elite DYKWIA" who complains that service standards aren't up to scratch. There's a reason for soft openings - so staff can be trained up... Hardly getting "Bonvoyed"...
writerguyfl likes this.

Search this Thread