Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Zihuatanejo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Zihuatanejo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Actually david55, we have already booked La Casa. My question is about what there is to do for activities in the general Zihuatanejo area. Sorry for being off topic from the original thread. Thought from people who have stayed at either resort might have some wisdom. We may just hang out with some forays into town, but wondered if there are some things worth visiting.
restaurants, golf, diving ( poor),hammock duty, spa,,eat the ceviche at LA Casa, watch the Swallows swoop down and skim the surface of the Infiniti pool at sunset
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:48 am

The name of the city is misspelled in the thread title. Can a mod change this? It's difficult to find in the search engines with the name so badly misspelled.

It should be: "Thompson Zihuatanejo" Thanks!
craigthemif and 59Impala like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:03 pm

We have two kids (3 and 5) sounds like even the suites at the Thompson won't work for them given no door between bedroom and living area. Are there connecting rooms at this property? Any kid-friendly activities in the area (i assume playgrounds but anything beyond that)? With the kids, would prefer non-stop which alaska now has from SFO but only on saturdays...so need more than just the pool for a week.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
There are no connecting rooms I believe, but there are 2BR suites. There are no playgrounds or other kid-friendly activities on site. I did see some kids during my stay, but I wouldn't rate this resort as super kid friendly, especially if you're looking for a large variety of activities and distractions for them.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dkc192
There are no connecting rooms I believe, but there are 2BR suites. There are no playgrounds or other kid-friendly activities on site. I did see some kids during my stay, but I wouldn't rate this resort as super kid friendly, especially if you're looking for a large variety of activities and distractions for them.
I was just coming on to the same thing.... except for making sand castles on the beach.... your kids may be very bored.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:19 pm

The Thompson brand doesn’t strike me as very kid friendly, unlike say the Andaz brand.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
I was just coming on to the same thing.... except for making sand castles on the beach.... your kids may be very bored.
Originally Posted by Buckeye2604
The Thompson brand doesn’t strike me as very kid friendly, unlike say the Andaz brand.
Age dependent perhaps. Our 2-year old was treated like a princess by the staff and loved the pool (with parents) and tennis court, walks on the beach / into all the nooks and crannies of the resort, etc. Also the plunge pool in the suites...

But for active teenagers, you obviously need to go to a mega-resort in the Caribbean instead of a quiet, laid-back resort just outside a small town....
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:20 am

Thanks everyone. I did not see the 2BR for sale on the website. Guess I'd have to call. Although sounds like 7 days is too much...I wasn't looking specifically for on-property but more within a short walk or drive. parks, play structures. But sounds like we are better off saving zihua for the next time the kids are with the grandparents.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:42 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I know questions about the weather are tricky to answer, but I'm hoping someone here might have some wisdom to share.

I did lots of research before booking a 6 night stay in early September. My understanding based on reading different forums is that thunderstorms are expected, but generally quick and also towards the end of the day.
I'm now looking at the weather forecast for next week, and I see an 80% chance of thunderstorms all day, throughout the day (not just for a couple of hours here or there, which are easier to work around).

Our main purpose for the trip is to spend time at the beach and the pool, but with this much rain (and thunderstorms, which are a hazard while in the water), that won't be fun.
I'm trying to decide whether to go and hope for the best, or cancel/rebook the trip (flights and booking are fully refundable). Does anyone have advice for me? Thank you!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArthurSFO11
I know questions about the weather are tricky to answer, but I'm hoping someone here might have some wisdom to share.

I did lots of research before booking a 6 night stay in early September. My understanding based on reading different forums is that thunderstorms are expected, but generally quick and also towards the end of the day.
I'm now looking at the weather forecast for next week, and I see an 80% chance of thunderstorms all day, throughout the day (not just for a couple of hours here or there, which are easier to work around).

Our main purpose for the trip is to spend time at the beach and the pool, but with this much rain (and thunderstorms, which are a hazard while in the water), that won't be fun.
I'm trying to decide whether to go and hope for the best, or cancel/rebook the trip (flights and booking are fully refundable). Does anyone have advice for me? Thank you!
For me it would be the humidity.....pretty sufferable. We once went to PV at the end of August....from 9-5 we sat in our room under the air conditioner every day...... listening to the thunder storms.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:55 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by david55
For me it would be the humidity.....pretty sufferable. We once went to PV at the end of August....from 9-5 we sat in our room under the air conditioner every day...... listening to the thunder storms.
That's a good reminder about the humidity, thanks. It's not ideal, but I can cope with it alright (for being at the beach/pool). But the thunderstorms would be different.
When you were in PV in late august, was it raining/storming for the whole day?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

That's a good reminder about the humidity, thanks. It's not ideal, but I can cope with it alright (for being at the beach/pool). But the thunderstorms would be different.
When you were in PV in late august, was it raining/storming for the whole day?
No.....mostly at night or late afternoon. Usually for a few hours just to add more misery on to the humidity.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:04 pm
was ShootinPutin11

I decided to cancel the reservation for now. The forecast isn't changing, and continues to show rain all day for most of the time we'd be there. Maybe I'll try again in October when the chances of rain drop.

I'm really looking forward to checking out the Thompson, though, it looks great, and the standard suite seems very spacious!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The forecast isn't changing, and continues to show rain all day for most of the time we'd be there.
Those sorts of weather forecasts in the tropics are misleading. They're not saying it's going to rain all day. They're saying it's very likely to rain at some point during the day.

But the high humidity is certainly a reason to reschedule.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Got an upcoming stay here in a Lagoon Suite. Does anyone have suggestions for specific suites in that category to request? I'm thinking second/upper floor for more privacy and hopes that the plunge pool will be in the sun so that it's not freezing cold, but any other/more specific tips would be appreciated, as the resort map suggests there are quite a few such suites.
Same question. I have an expiring TSU so decided to throw it on my booking here. Really curious as to what that will yield. Hotel website is subpar in describing their room and suite categories.

Here is a video of a lagoon suite made by Loyalty Lobby:

I found pictures of the lagoon suite on the Inspirato website

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 27, 2023 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.