FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Centric New York 39th Street - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1974662-hyatt-centric-new-york-39th-street-review-master-thread.html)

cruisingmickey Jun 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Hyatt Centric New York 39th Street - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Woohoo! Another Hyatt in NYC! This was mentioned back in 2017 in the upcoming properties thread already, but making its own thread here since it looks like they're almost ready. Their website is up and it looks like it should open this fall. I'll walk by to scope it out and report back. It's really close to the Andaz and Hyatt Place.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...new-york/nycct

beachfan Feb 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Taking reservations stsrting June 1. I’m going to nyc 7/12, any guesses as to whether it will be open by then?

ZBigFam Feb 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Well it's only taking reservations after July 1st, prior to that must be a soft opening.

jayer Feb 18, 2020 8:58 pm

They were taking reservations in May, Just got moved to a different hotel. Not that it is horrible but it isn't open till it's open.

Matt4200 Feb 18, 2020 11:41 pm

A Category 6??? Sheesh.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...caeef8fc9.jpeg
And the pricing ... $168 meanwhile GH (which is horrible) is more expensive. Hyatt should’ve opened it as a Cat 4, see how it goes with nearby Andaz 5th Ave and Park Hyatt, if it’s great shoot up to 5. I honestly don’t see it staying a Cat 6 next year, I think it’ll drop to 5 and stay there.

Even during “off peak” dates it domes our to 21k points which is nearly double that of HC Waikiki (would be 12k Off Peak) which I think is a pretty great HC in terms of the look/feel and location.

MarkOK Feb 19, 2020 11:52 am

Those are decent cash rates though for NYC.

Almost all of the Manhattan Hyatts are 1, 2 (or even 3) categories too high. Overall, the city has the worse redemptions in the network.

I have a visit in late July and this HC is slight cheaper rate wise than the HC-Times square, but I am always weary of new hotels, and I am using a TSU and looks like the HC-Times square suite is 100 sq ft more than the standard suite at HC 39th.

Matt4200 Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 32090447)

Almost all of the Manhattan Hyatts are 1, 2 (or even 3) categories too high. Overall, the city has the worse redemptions in the network.

I have a visit in late July and this HC is slight cheaper rate wise than the HC-Times square, but I am always weary of new hotels, and I am using a TSU and looks like the HC-Times square suite is 100 sq ft more than the standard suite at HC 39th.

My main concerns are -

Why is GH higher priced? It’s a horrible rundown hotel, which is poorly staffed and I’ve heard Hyatt is selling it off this year.

HC 39th and 5th being a Cat 6 just doesn’t make financial sense. It should be a 4, then gradually move up to 5 and stay there.

Gild Hall is rightly set as a Cat 4 in NYC. PH NYC is and should be a Cat 7 because their Cash Rates are typically $600-$1,500. Andaz 5th Ave a lot of people have questioned it rising in Category and I can’t blame them it was rightly priced and I think it’ll go back next year.

Look at HP Secaucus just across the Hudson. It’s a Cat 2, but you regularly see $200+ rates for standard rooms. It could go to Cat 3 and people would say that seems about right.

It just seems that the Cash rates and Categories are clashing pretty hard at this new HC. I walked by it the other day and it didn’t look spectacular it was tucked away. 39th and 5th is good if you want Koreatown or Bryant Park, but Times Square is a major destination. For New Yorkers it’s an eyesore though, raised prices and tourists who don’t know where they’re going most of the time.

Just my two cents

cvseuy Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 32090447)

Agreed, the HP/HH in Manhattan really have no business being Cat 5. It's probably for the reason of avoiding FN Certs from being used.The Centrics in NYC should be Cat 5. Andaz 5th should of stayed of Cat 6.

Matt4200 Feb 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cvseuy (Post 32090507)
Agreed, the HP/HH in Manhattan really have no business being Cat 5. It's probably for the reason of avoiding FN Certs from being used.The Centrics in NYC should be Cat 5. Andaz 5th should of stayed of Cat 6.

+1

MarkOK Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32090483)
My main concerns are -

Why is GH higher priced? It’s a horrible rundown hotel, which is poorly staffed and I’ve heard Hyatt is selling it off this year.

HC 39th and 5th being a Cat 6 just doesn’t make financial sense. It should be a 4, then gradually move up to 5 and stay there.

Gild Hall is rightly set as a Cat 4 in NYC. PH NYC is and should be a Cat 7 because their Cash Rates are typically $600-$1,500. Andaz 5th Ave a lot of people have questioned it rising in Category and I can’t blame them it was rightly priced and I think it’ll go back next year.

Look at HP Secaucus just across the Hudson. It’s a Cat 2, but you regularly see $200+ rates for standard rooms. It could go to Cat 3 and people would say that seems about right.

It just seems that the Cash rates and Categories are clashing pretty hard at this new HC. I walked by it the other day and it didn’t look spectacular it was tucked away. 39th and 5th is good if you want Koreatown or Bryant Park, but Times Square is a major destination. For New Yorkers it’s an eyesore though, raised prices and tourists who don’t know where they’re going most of the time.

Just my two cents

I agree on all accounts. But it doesn't surprise me given the high categories for Andaz Wall street , Hyatt Herald, Hyatt House Chelsea, Hyatt Place Times square (all cat 5s that really should be cat 4s) , Hyatt Union Square (a cat 6 that prices like a cat 5 but feels like a cat 4), Grand Hyatt (feels like a cat 3, location included, but prices like a cat 4 but Hyatt has as a cat 5), and HC Times square ( a 6 that should be a 5 perhaps). From what I have gathered about the recent entrants (i.e. Thompsons) they are all look quite high too. I know that there are a few times when hotel rates in NYC can demand premiums, but most often I see rates at $150-$250. With the 'high' and 'low' dynamic pricing, I was hoping to see all of these move down but the recent revisions have them stay put at best.

Andaz 5th (as a cat 6 anyways) and Park Hyatt are the only properties where the cash rates to points rate were roughly in line with the system (roughly 1.2-1.8 cents/pt on run-of-the-mill rates with occasional values up to 2.5 cents/pt) --(and no, I don't see why Andaz 5th should be moving up either!)

beachfan Feb 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 32088248)
They were taking reservations in May, Just got moved to a different hotel. Not that it is horrible but it isn't open till it's open.

which hotel did they move you to?

beachfan Feb 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 32087904)
Well it's only taking reservations after July 1st, prior to that must be a soft opening.

the blurb on the hotel when booking says after June 1, but you are right, it doesn’t show up if you try and book prior to July.

rwm818 Feb 20, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32092126)
the blurb on the hotel when booking says after June 1, but you are right, it doesn’t show up if you try and book prior to July.

I am booked here from Jun 16-19...so far no change in my account and no notice of being moved.
Wonder if I can expect something soon 🤨

jayer Feb 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Which hotel did they move you to?
Hyatt Herald Square.

Disappointed not to be in the new hotel, but I like the neighborhood.

I am booked here from Jun 16-19...so far no change in my account and no notice of being moved.
Wonder if I can expect something soon 🤨
Maybe they will be in soft opening and accepting some guests. My res was in May.

Hope it works out for you.

ZBigFam Apr 11, 2020 11:05 am

I was scheduled to stay here from 7/5-7/10. They reached out the other day saying they couldn't open in time and wanted to move me to the herald square.

I refused, I said they need me to.another cat 6 like the Andaz 5th or Hyatt centric times square. They replied saying those hotels were closed. Which while true so was the herald square property.

I find this extremely wrong, it's not right to move me to a lower cat hotel. What's only fair is to move me to a comparable cat hotel.

Obviously we have lots more to worry about right now but am hoping that this will have passed by July.